Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 4-9-14

Landwhale and I launched at about 6:45 to cold air and warmish water (65º). Tide was near slack, but still had a bit of outgoing current. About 8:00 it turned around, but it was only a 3' swing, so it never got going good. There was no wind when we launched, but it turned on out of the South pretty soon after we got out.

We started off on the buoy line off the launch and Steve picked some bass while I got lots of short bites and 4 time I lost fish halfway to the yak due to fouled baits Eventually it dawned on me that I was using 5" Paddlerz and switched to 4". Didn't make much difference. We fished the channel edge where I picked a couple. Then we moved over to the peninsula side to hide from the wind. After a while with no bites for me, we moved back to the other side and I fished between the channel edge and the moored boats. Things picked up eventually and I managed 4 in the last hour or so. Steve got his early on, I got mine later. I only managed 6 bass (all 3 species) and none were legal.

I fished a few different baits in multiple colors. 4" New Penny Paddlerz were the ticket. Also, got a couple on the Rootbeer/ gold flake. Hot Sauce for flavor of course.

Today was an exercise in frustration for most of the day. In fact I got pretty dang grumpy for a while. But, I still managed to have fun in the end. And as slow as it was, it was better than work A pleasure as always to fish with Steve, and look forward to possible hitting the Pipe in DP next week.

Last edited by Amish Ed; 04-09-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: tried to edit the title, it's 2015.
Amish Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
landwhale

Caught 3 fish in the first drift then the tide changed directions and the catching got tough. Used the Zman Paddlez in New Penny Redbone and Root Beer with gold flake and Uni Butter of course. The fish were hammering the Root Beer though it was toughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to get them to stick. Cross wind made the drifts weird and had to dodge the moored boats constantly. On the positive side for me I found my problem with the sonar was a dead battery even the charger said it was fully charged.( Had to jump start my Van so I could leave and stopped at the auto parts on the trip home for a new one far more expensive then my FF battery) As always good time fishing with Ed not bad weather.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
kayakfisherman

Hey Guys,

I hope I see both of you bass nuts at the upcoming
bass tourney in Dana on May 2. Beware, I've got
all my bass goodies on standby, plus, that day is
my birthday. I'll take no prisoners.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Amish Ed

As of now I'm working Saturdays, Yani. I would love to fish with you sometime though. Are you ever free on a Thursday or Friday morning? If the weather looks ok, Steve and I plan to hit the Pipe next Friday.