Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Jonesyak

First Yak, lots of questions!

Hey guys,

I have been fishing out of San Diego for several years, however this is my first experiences fishing from a yak.

I got a hobie mirage classic for x-mas, I know it’s not the best kayak on the market for fishing, however I had to start somewhere.

Some of the questions I have are:

What are the best rod/reel combinations for targeting bass and butts near Del Mar and La Jolla?

What are the best plastic baits and jigs? I generally only fish with live baits and irons...

How do you make bait? Naive question but I have never had to do it before.

Where do you get into contact with the kayak fishing clubs, I often see large groups of people all launching or landing together?

Is a CA fishing license required for yak fishing? I assume it is.

What are good places to launch other than La Jolla shores?

How good a fishing finder should I invest in? So far I have only looked at very cheap ones for depth and structure readings...

What safety gear is necessary other than my life jacket and cell phone in a plastic bag?

Will I ever really need a gaff?

I would really appreciate any advice to help get me off on the right foot!

Tight lines,

Aaron
Jonesyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Aaron Welcome to BWE.

1st and most importantly go to http://www.savecafishing.org/ and help out.

1. best rod and reel for bass, fish dont care, what ever works for you. I use a revo inshore on a Calstar 700xl

2. big hammer on warbaits jig heads have worked well for me

3. to make bait use a sabiki rig dipped in unibutter.

4. www.BWE.com

5. yes a CA fishing license is required for yak fishing. Be sure to know the mpa as well as the size limits.

6. cabrillo beach, newport beach, OEX sunset beach, laguna(before 1/1/12)
san clemente st. beach

7. I use a Garmin gps FF spent about $250.00 get one that has a gps built in to mark productive spots.

8. PFD, Radio, signal device,compass, bilge pump and a 1st aid kit are the basics.

9. you dont need a gaff but you never know, you do need to have a landing net though.
best of luck and be safe.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

Welcome to the addiction...as BK just explained there is a learning curve, but ultimately the equipment is to your choice, lots of great people on this board who are willing to help, and lots of information to read up on in here...
As the "kid" said, please visit "savecafishing" and help our good fight so you can get the time on the water you deserve.
There are always people and groups alike going out to different locations all the time, so you can hook up with a bunch of new people...
Hope to see you out there sometime....b
Old 12-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
StinkyMatt

Whatever you do don't buy everything brand new!!!!!!!

You can save a LOT of cash by posting up and buying other members' used stuff.

You can buy everything you need on this site alone if you put up Wanted ads.

Good luck

Item #1 = PFD
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
jorluivil

If and when you buy a VHF radio get one that will not receive any transmissions from Matt.....trust me on this one

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
jorluivil

I got a hobie mirage classic for x-mas, I know it’s not the best kayak on the market for fishing, however I had to start somewhere.

Anything that floats will work. Just remember to NOT put yourself in level 10 waters if your a level 1 fisherman

What are the best rod/reel combinations for targeting bass and butts near Del Mar and La Jolla?

My favorite Hali setup: Teramar TMC X76M with a Shimano Cardiff 400A. It's spooled with 50lb spectra

What are the best plastic baits and jigs? I generally only fish with live baits and irons...

I only fish live bait or fresh dead so I can't answer this one

How do you make bait? Naive question but I have never had to do it before.

This will depend on the area that you're fishing. As an example LJ doesn't have a bait barge so you have to make bait. Cabrillo has a bait barge so I buy bait. If there's a bait barge near me I'd rather spend $15 on bait than spend 1-2hrs trying to find and make bait.

Where do you get into contact with the kayak fishing clubs, I often see large groups of people all launching or landing together?

In case you didn't read the fine print you've already joined a fishing club. Fee's depend on how many times you post and what kind of information you want. Generally, the charges range from 1 beer to dinner or sometimes you'll have to give up your largest fish....depends on who you're fishing with and what kind of fish you landed.

Is a CA fishing license required for yak fishing? I assume it is.

Yes, a license is required except for private lakes and the LA River but I would stay away from it...current is always strong and is always flowing south.

What are good places to launch other than La Jolla shores?

Depends on your level and what you want to target

How good a fishing finder should I invest in? So far I have only looked at very cheap ones for depth and structure readings...

Again, depends on what you're fishing for but don't get the most expensive thing out there. Sometimes simple is better.

What safety gear is necessary other than my life jacket and cell phone in a plastic bag?

PFD IS A MUST!!! IF WE SEE YOU NOT WEARING ONE WE'LL BAN YOU FROM THIS AND EVERY OTHER KAYAKING SITE. A VHF is also a must have along with a manual bilge pump and if you decide to carry your phone with you make sure you get a water proof case, a zip-lock bag may work but they're not the best. There are several other items to consider but I believe these three are the most important.

Will I ever really need a gaff?

If you plan on fishing with Matt, NO. Make sure you carry a net that is considered legal by the DFG. I've never been asked for mine but you never know........

I would really appreciate any advice to help get me off on the right foot!

Sometimes the left foot is the right foot

Tight lines,

Aaron [/QUOTE]

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 12-27-2011 at 09:20 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
mtnbykr2

You can squelch Matt out...does Matt have a radio?...
well said Jorgesee lots of good peeps and info in here
Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Jonesyak

Thanks for all the great info, can't wait to hit the water water again.
Jonesyak is offline   Reply With Quote