Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Aaron&Julie

The MLPA fight goes on...List yourself for showing on Jan 1, 2012

Now that an appeal has been made, the Jan 1 showing in La Jolla becomes even more important. If we can get news exposure (video) of our protest, who knows how much it may help the appeal, maybe turn some heads and get the general public behind us. What the hell, taking away our fishing grounds for ourselves and our children is tantamount to taking away little league, pee-wee football, etc. I'd rather our children grow up fishing with a love for mother nature and its bounty, and learn to appreciate what the world can give you and how you should cherish it, than the sometimes over-emphasized glory of physical sports. I'm not against physical sports, I used to play them all, year-round, as a youth, but I'm a fisherman by nature.
If we can get any news TV station flying over head to televise our showing Jan 1st, I'm definitely in.
Aaron (Julie and my signature phrase applies)

Please read...

Contact: Dave Elm, United Anglers of Southern California, 949-660-8757
Battle to Prevent Unwarranted Fishing Closures in California Continues
Despite unfavorable court ruling, appeal gives California's fishing and boating community renewed hope for overturning MLPA regulations
Sacramento, CA – December 15, 2011 – Today the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans (PSO) announced that the legal challenge against the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) process is not yet over. Coastside Fishing Club, one of the three petitioners in litigation before the San Diego Superior Court challenging MLPA regulations adopted by the California Fish and Game Commission for the North Central Coast, filed an appeal with California's 4th District Court of Appeal. Regulations to close large areas of southern California's coastal waters to fishing will likely go into effect in January 2012, and the appeal process will likely last until late 2012.
Coastside's appeal arises from the denial by Judge Ronald Prager on October 17, 2011 of its request for a Writ of Mandate voiding MLPA regulations adopted by the commission for California's North Central Coast in 2009 based on legal defects in implementing California law. After a careful review, Coastside concluded that Judge Prager's ruling is inconsistent with the mandates of the law as established by the legislature. The outcome of the appeal of Judge Prager's ruling on the North Central Coast regulations would likely influence the resolution of a similar challenge to the validity of the South Coast regulations brought in the same lawsuit by Coastside's co-plaintiffs, United Anglers of Southern California and Robert C. Fletcher.
"It's in the best interests of all Californians that our state's laws be implemented in a fair and even-handed manner as the legislature directs," said Rick Ross, Coastside's president. "Coastside intends to pursue this legitimate goal through all available legal means. We strongly believe in the merits of our case, and the appeal process provides a fresh opportunity to have our claims considered in a different forum."
Also today, the PSO, along with the support of BD Outdoors, launched a new website, www.SaveCAFishing.org to raise awareness of the legal challenge against the flawed MLPA process and to provide an opportunity for all anglers, boaters and anyone interested in a fair legal process to contribute to the effort. Under the "Donate" section of the site, individuals can contribute $5 or more a month on a recurring basis, or make a one-time donation. All proceeds will directly support legal action to keep California's healthy and abundance coastal waters open to sportfishing.
"The only true hope California's fishing and boating community has left to stop these impending marine protected areas from existing in perpetuity is to support our legal effort," said Dave Elm, chairman of United Anglers of Southern California. "The SaveCAFishing.org website provides a simple, convenient way to support our efforts on an ongoing basis. I challenge all anglers and anyone that supports public access to public resources to donate to our effort to ensure sustainable recreational activities are allowed to continue in California's coastal waters.
"A single fishing trip may cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, but a simple $5 or more monthly contribution to the legal effort against the MLPA process may be the most important investment anglers can make to ensure the continuation of the sport for current and future generations," concluded Elm.

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 12-16-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

I have been and will continue to donate as much as I can to stop this corruption, MLPA and anyone involved, have no right what so ever, to take away anything or anywhere we fish.
I urge every member on this board to join United Anglers today and donate to the "good fight" and when it comes election time, refer to the "black list" and vote them all out, refer to the black list before making any purchases or using any services from anyone on the black list...do your part whenever possible, and don't forget to spread the word...
I will be getting doen off of the soapbox now...rant complete...b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Well said

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
PapaDave

Hey, I missed the post about a protest outing in LJ, I'd like to go, what time?
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Aaron&Julie

David is it?
While I couldn't find a specific thread that is written with an MLPA boycott showing of kayakers and private/public boats, in the soon to be closed southern area of La Jolla, supposedly others have stated in recent posts, that many private boaters who post on bloodydecks.com will be there that day. Also, many kayakers here and on other websites want a good showing on Jan 1, 2012, as an expression of how wrong it is to close these areas.
Like I've said, if it looks like a good turnout, contacting a TV news-station would bode well for all of us, especially with the appeal to the MLPA being filed yesterday (Dec 15, 2011). Let this thread then become the beginning of a list of probable kayakers who will show up. Add your name. If the weather cooperates we might have a worthwhile showing. I think some big names in the sport we so much love, are planning on showing up, some who might have to make a long drive for such. See these posts:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12138

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ins...local-mpa.html

Reading through it, guys like Andy (Iceman), Jim Sammons, etc, will try to make it, as will I. Not sure about Julie, since she may be working. But, for those who have it off without any plans, your presence would be very welcome. And if it looks like a good showing, I'll call all the local news stations myself to try and get them to televise our showing. Whoever is a good spokesman, can be our rep on the water, or at the beach, somebody who will be cool under pressure, even with all the anger and frustration we all are feeling over this. Suggestions?

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 12-17-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

I will be there! Easy decision for me to make.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
T Bone

ahh what the hell lets just start fishing just outside the surfzone...

J/K so we obviously have to go in a Red zone...

Lets do it.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
lbsurf2ca

Wouldn't miss it.
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Deefeesha

Count me in!!!
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
salty pirate

I'm in
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

I'd like to be there but will out of town then. But will donate to save CA fishing.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
sharonkayak

hmmmm. tough decision.. count me in!

sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
fknricter

Any set times? And specific area we plan to occupy? No 2012 licenses/ rods n reels?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
lterrero
Leo

NO MATTER WHAT?? I WILL BE THERE!!!
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
mtnbykr2

comin from Ventura, I will try and round up the rest of the Northside Navy,
? on the equipment too...we bringing fishin stuff for shock factor?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

Is everyone meeting at the Launch at La Jolla?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #17
Jimmyz123

I've passed this on to some people I know at KUSI, and CBS, maybe we can get some assistance from them. I'll keep trying and we'll see what happens. What time are we meeting?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #18
ChefT

Checkmate .......
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #19
mtnbykr2

Hey,
Something that may be an issue there...parking...we may need to do a shuttle or something like that, maybe trucks that don't necessarily have to be parked near the launch, carting yaks in and out from a central post
off site...Kendall is coming so she would be able to shuttle but I only have a Nissan, 2-3 yaks stuffed would be about max...something to think about...
Old 12-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #20
sharonkayak

parking should not be an issue. there is a big parking lot just north of the launch...
we have done it for the moyer contests. 100 plus people.

we paddle through the reserves everyday with our fishing gear. So I dont see a problem with that.
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote