Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
Aaron&Julie

I would think a good time might be 8:00-9:00AM, at the launch, plenty of time to shake the cobwebs out of the heads. Try to make large signs, easily read by helicopters, i.e. "MLPA is wrong", "Fishing is Freedom", "We pay for the right to fish", "UR penalizing those who can't fish offshore", etc. You get the idea. Then, we all gather in masses in one new restricted area, say where the south La Jolla MLPA area begins straight in front of Palomar Ave (I don't know where that is, but I'm sure someone in the crowd will) or Big Rock which is near the northern most area of the projected to be closed South La Jolla zone. You might want to bring a 20 foot section of rope, should we decide to tie up in a circle, or such. Parking shouldn't be too much of a problem, perhaps some may have to park a few short blocks away from the launch, afterall it isn't summertime. Carpooling, especially you Northern folks, would work great. Tell others, bring them on down with you, and let's get this list growing fast.
Thanks,
Aaron
Old 12-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
GregAndrew

Probably gonna be working, but if not I will be there.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
ChefT

Breakfast burritos again ..... ?
I'm game ...
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Maybe Turko files would do a story to help?
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #25
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknricter View Post
Any set times? And specific area we plan to occupy? No 2012 licenses/ rods n reels?
just an FYI 2012 licenses are on sale now. so you dont have to be without one weather your fishing or not. I THINK they can confiscate your gear without a license but warn you to get out of off limits spots.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #26
james92026

I can probably make it, more or likely without license. My biggest concern is transporting from cartop to launch site. I do have my kayak wheel cart which will stow in the front hatch so I dont mind dragging it a few blocks if necessary. Somebody mentioned a parking lot? My lady will probably object as she does not share the same passion, but she will get over it. 'sides, gives me an opportunity to attempt my first surf launch, waders and all.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #27
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92026 View Post
I can probably make it, more or likely without license. My biggest concern is transporting from cartop to launch site. I do have my kayak wheel cart which will stow in the front hatch so I dont mind dragging it a few blocks if necessary. Somebody mentioned a parking lot? My lady will probably object as she does not share the same passion, but she will get over it. 'sides, gives me an opportunity to attempt my first surf launch, waders and all.

you can unload at the launch then go park. if you get there the same time as everyone else you can usually ask someone next to you to keep an eye on it.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #28
bluesquids

I'm in.
May I suggest someone play the National Anthem at a determined time and broadcast over channel 72 followed by a moment of silence.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #29
Jimmyz123

I'll call them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnall4u View Post
Maybe Turko files would do a story to help?
I'll put in a call and see if someone will come down.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #30
MrPukaShell

Spoke to a Fish Cop in Oxnard on Sunday. I wanted to ask him how they were going to handle the closures. He said that no day off for them on the 1st and that they would be out in force. He said that they have not received any orders on writing tickets as of yet. We were talking about the Pt Dume area. He personally said that he would give warnings "IF" you gave the impression that you were not aware. But if you have the "No MLPA" stickers all over your Kayak and you are fishing in a restricted zone than you probally should know better. He had a good attitude but we will have to wait and see when the book comes out.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #31
Aaron&Julie

I sure hope this list gets longer than 20 people, that's not much of a showing
Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #32
Willy

I'll sign in for 2...We might be in my PB or on a couple of 'yaks, but we will represent.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #33
PapaDave

I'm in, what time? And I am bringing the fishing gear...

Aaron, yes, it is David
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #34
Aaron&Julie

David, per my one of my previous posts on this thread, cooridination is for 8:00-9:00AM at the launch. This will give everyone a little time to recover from New Year's Eve. See my other post, regarding protest signs, etc.
Thanks,
Aaron
Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
dorado50

Has Jimmy got nbc and cbs on the horn yet?. If so,thats about the best exposure you'll get. Otherwise you will probably be noticed most by the LJ tourist.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #36
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I'll put in a call and see if someone will come down.
Have you tried contacting any news station yet? Any results? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #37
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Have you tried contacting any news station yet? Any results? Thanks.

I've called CBS, NBC, and KUSI but haven't heard anything back yet. I'll keep trying.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #38
mtnbykr2

I would have thought we would have seen more action and response to this post by now....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #39
T Bone

Unfortunately that is the EXACT reason why the MLPA happened in the first place,

apathy...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #40
jorluivil

If we had the same amount of interest and backing back in early 2009 we wouldn't be behind the 8-ball. I recall when we had the Bloodydecks sponsored caravan in the summer of 2009 to get the word out, it was embarrasing to see what little support we received from the local fisherman. Put the word out that there is a hot barrucuda bite at the horseshoe kelp and you have a carbon copy of what LJ looks like during a WSB bite. If we had the same amount of boats in the caravan that are out on the water during a barrucuda bite I can assure you we would have received some sort of news coverage. Regardless, I know the fight isn't over and it will go on for a long time.

What bothers me most is that we still have local fisherman out there that have no clue what the MLPA is or that closures are going into effect starting 2012. On Thursday 12/22/11 we actually talked to a local fisherman at the Cabrillo boat launch that had no clue what was going on. When we mentioned closures he said, "Yes, I know....no rockfish, no lingcod, no sheepheads....blah blah blah". We proceeded to tell him that we were not talking about seasonal closures, we were talking about permanent closures.

When he walked away I felt as if he was saying to himself that we're f-en nuts, how could a mexican, a pollock and a white guy who fish from a kayak know more about fishing then me and my two buddies who are fishing from a boat......end of rant.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote