Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
ratdog

Fishfinder shoping?

I have been reading old posts about fishfinders, did some online browsing and went to WM in Pt Loma yesterday and I am overwhelmed!
Been Looking at the Lowrance HDS5 or a couple of Garmins, sure would appreciate any expert advice. Thanks in advance
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

shopping for a FF is an overwhelming task, especially if you have been at it for awhile, I just got a HDS5, after been through a few Humminbirds,
I considered price and features of course but I had to consider durability and reliability as well, I looked at both Lowrance and Garmin for a few weeks and after talkin to everybody that would listen I ended up with the HDS5 the cables, similar to Garmin, and Garmin had a few features a plus but the screens were smaller when comparing prices...my advise would be to think about it and talk to people in here likes and dislikes and then decide...not much help but that's what I did....
Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
jorluivil

I would start off with something simple and once you're ready to move up go for the big boy like the HDS5. I purchased an Eagle Cuda 350 and I love it: its small, easy to use, accurate and it helps me catch fish...lots of fish. The split screen feature sucks but if you mount the unit within arms length it will not matter because you can easily go back and forth between GPS and sonar. It has all the features I want, gps, sonar, tracking, way point markers and it doesn't use up a lot of battery juice like the HDS5.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I would start off with something simple and once you're ready to move up go for the big boy like the HDS5. I purchased an Eagle Cuda 350 and I love it: its small, easy to use, accurate and it helps me catch fish...lots of fish. The split screen feature sucks but if you mount the unit within arms length it will not matter because you can easily go back and forth between GPS and sonar. It has all the features I want, gps, sonar, tracking, way point markers and it doesn't use up a lot of battery juice like the HDS5.
I highly agree with this post. When I first got into this I had a Cuda 168 and then moved up to an HB and even bought a real top of the line HB with GPS and all. I was fortunate because the Kayak I just bought has a Cuda 350 on it and I can't wait to try it. I like that it is small, seems easy to use, and does exactly what I need it to do. I'll be trying it out this week for the first time I can't wait. The Cuda 350 is still out there but is discontinued. Something new like it should be coming out soon.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Good to see you otw again John. John says hi, and tells me that the HDS is on sale at Anchor Express again (for WM price matching) if you decide to go that route. It really depends on what you are looking to get out of your unit. There are a ton of options like down/side scanning, GPS, Color, screen size, number of pixels etc. Each option gives you more information from your unit, but it can be like learning calculus deciphering it all. The good news is that you don't have to be fluent in FF to use the better units. The bad news is that each of those features drives the price up about $100. I have the HDS 5 and will still be learning about it a year from now.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote