Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
Onthefly

Good Deal?

Hey all. I am in the process of purchasing a Hobie and I'm looking into fish finders. I'm a fly fisherman that loves to fish the harbors and hopefully outside the break wall in the kelp beds (if they show up). Typically I'm a trout fisherman but due to the fact that I live in Orange County, I fish the ocean more regularly now.

My question is, is there a fish finder that works well for both lake fishing and harbor (and outside the harbor) fishing? I founf this deal on Bass Pro, is this a good unit for a Pro Angler 14?

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Hook...RODUCT_BO_VTT1

Says it comes with the "Lake Insight Pro" card that should work well for my lake fishing trips to the sierras. Would this unit suffice in the ocean?

Thanks for you help!!
Onthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthefly View Post
The Lowrance units should be a great fit for your fishing. The only time I'd be hesitant on that one would be if you're fishing in REALLY deep water. Another option is the Raymarine Dragonfly line which has been making a lot of noise in the yak community. That seems to be an excellent unit for both salt and freshwater applications.

I'd be very comfortable with either of those two options for your application (which is almost exactly the same as mine...)

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
Onthefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
The Lowrance units should be a great fit for your fishing. The only time I'd be hesitant on that one would be if you're fishing in REALLY deep water. Another option is the Raymarine Dragonfly line which has been making a lot of noise in the yak community. That seems to be an excellent unit for both salt and freshwater applications.

I'd be very comfortable with either of those two options for your application (which is almost exactly the same as mine...)

Awesome, thanks for the info. I like the dragonfly. Can you define "REALLY deep water"? are talking outside DP harbor or kelp beds? Or waaaay off shore?

I'm leaning more toward this Lowrance simply because of the Lake Card it comes with, Maybe it's all hype but I'm slowly buying into it.

Which finder do you own?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

It has 83 and 200 kHz, so you are fine for ocean with that unit. You may be using down scan frequencies more in the lakes.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Onthefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
It has 83 and 200 kHz, so you are fine for ocean with that unit. You may be using down scan frequencies more in the lakes.
Awesome. Thank you
Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Dave Voigt
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthefly View Post
Hey all. I am in the process of purchasing a Hobie and I'm looking into fish finders. I'm a fly fisherman that loves to fish the harbors and hopefully outside the break wall in the kelp beds (if they show up). Typically I'm a trout fisherman but due to the fact that I live in Orange County, I fish the ocean more regularly now.

My question is, is there a fish finder that works well for both lake fishing and harbor (and outside the harbor) fishing? I founf this deal on Bass Pro, is this a good unit for a Pro Angler 14?

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Hook...RODUCT_BO_VTT1

Says it comes with the "Lake Insight Pro" card that should work well for my lake fishing trips to the sierras. Would this unit suffice in the ocean?

Thanks for you help!!
They are on sale at West Marine same price , no shipping cost.
I bought one yesterday, also a $50 rebate. You can get the rebate form off the WM web site when you look up the FF.
Dave Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote