Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Sdspeed

Fish for what in Jan. and Feb.?

A little help here please. What can i fish for off La jolla or in San Diego Bay in Jan. and Feb.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
steveooo

You can fish for basically the same stuff, except rockfish.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mapregs5.asp

I like January & Feb in LJ for the homeguard yoyo bite...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Ggiannig89

Good question. I was wondering the same thing since I just bought a yak and don't have much time to get rockfish. I was thinking calico bass and other bass species? Halibut (although I'm not real sure how to catch them), shark (don't know how to catch them either), find new structure spots on finder and mark on GPS. Atleast those are some of the things I plan to try
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
JeffB

Shoot, thats prime time to pick up some nice early morning and night time sand bass hogs. A lot of the sand bass that hang out in IB and Pt Loma sneak into the big back right around the beginning of the year. Also can run across some nice halibut in the bay mingling around. Just remember to put up all your small stuff and bring out the bigger swim baits and cranks, 5.5"-6.5" with heavy lead heads...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Shoot, thats prime time to pick up some nice early morning and night time sand bass hogs. A lot of the sand bass that hang out in IB and Pt Loma sneak into the big back right around the beginning of the year. Also can run across some nice halibut in the bay mingling around. Just remember to put up all your small stuff and bring out the bigger swim baits and cranks, 5.5"-6.5" with heavy lead heads...
Now this helps,Thanks!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

black seabass. you can catch and release them all day in the first few months of the year.

at least thats what it seemed like last Jan though March. also whiteseabass might start to show end of feb into march but april is when you want to start spying on the launches for the ninjas.

sculpin are still open and you can find some hefty ones in LJ and PL. 3 or 4 three lb sculpin will make some good eats. also these colder months produce a ton of big halibut (30-45" models) in the surf for those of us that fish it (although i seem to be cursed an never broke 30" lol). so targeting outside the break on any of the good beaches should produce some nice flatties. most people i talk to say they are much deeper though....
Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
Sdspeed

lowpro, since your moving east ya gonna share more of your secrets as you see the shores in your review mirror?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
lowpro, since your moving east ya gonna share more of your secrets as you see the shores in your review mirror?
I'm not in to burning bridges and i do plan to be back next fall.

but i'll share common knowledge. i'll even tell you where you can catch grass rockfish and consistently pull 14-18" calico from shore...