Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Wayne_R

Now I got yak, what are the essentials I need to get?

Picked up Stealth 12 on Wednesday in very good condition for $400...stoked. Anyways came with cheaper pfd, oars, seat. I got a $20 off coupon for Sports Chalet and $200 gift card for bass pro. Looking to hit a lake for my first soak/test drive and looking to see what essentials I "NEED" to get.

Saw Sports Chalet has bilge pump for $19.99, so that takes care of that coupon . Looking to get a nice pfd, some nice oars, and nice seat. So I'd hit Bass Pro for that. Recommendations? Doesn't need to be the most expensive, but something good for a rookie like me and that will make my first float that much more enjoyable.

Also any recommendations on anything else is a "must have" before I go out?

Thanks for all the help.
Wayne_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Looks like you got everything basic you need for right now...except a set of wheels. What type of fishing are you planning to do?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
CheapPelican

Good paddle, (use the cheaper one as a spare, stored below deck), rod leases, maybe a paddle leash. Depending on where/how long you'll be fishing, I'd invest in a better seat and marine radio. Fish finder/gps is nice too. Find a milk crate.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Wayne_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Looks like you got everything basic you need for right now...except a set of wheels. What type of fishing are you planning to do?
Planning on hitting Skinner next Friday (haven't been there in 20 years). Close to my work, so I can check in at work and leave early. Going to put around, get my bearings, and for some bass or trout. Mainly exploratory mission.

Quote:
Good paddle, (use the cheaper one as a spare, stored below deck), rod leases, maybe a paddle leash. Depending on where/how long you'll be fishing, I'd invest in a better seat and marine radio. Fish finder/gps is nice too. Find a milk crate.
Recommendations on paddle, seat, radio, pfd?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Wayne_R

S$!+...looked on Skinner website:

Quote:
-Kayaks must be at least 10 feet long, non-bailing, and with seating for all passengers inside the boat. Sit-on-top kayaks are not allowed.
What the h...?

and DVL

Last edited by Wayne_R; 12-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Wayne_R

Oh well, can't keep me down. Looks like lake Hemet. I would do ocean/bay, but I have to work (at least a little) that day in the morning and pick up merchandise for work in Hemet in the pm. So I'm going to get a few hours in...better than nothing.

Any advise to the above still appreciated...
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Yea, you'll find that any lake that serves as a source of drinking water will be a "No Contact" reservoir. Doesn't matter that the damn coots are crapping in it all year - but we are not allowed to touch it. Go figure...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_R View Post
Planning on hitting Skinner next Friday (haven't been there in 20 years). Close to my work, so I can check in at work and leave early. Going to put around, get my bearings, and for some bass or trout. Mainly exploratory mission.

Recommendations on paddle, seat, radio, pfd?

Perris is closed tuesdays and wednesdays

The carbon Aquabound paddles seem to get good reviews. The fiberglass hobie paddles are decent. If you buy a used one, make sure its a newer model. '09 or better i think. Pass on the higher end paddles and save the money for when you upgrade to a _ _ _ _ _.

COD apex seat as a minimum.

Radio should be Waterproof/floating.

Any high back pfd. I wouldnt recomend the Ascend Fishing PFD. The storage pockets are bulky and get in the way if you like to reel with the butt tucked under your arm. It also doesnt make it easy to attach a radio to your person either.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
StinkyMatt

200 bucks goes real quick.

Post up ads ol BWE for used equipment. Guaranteed to get responses and save a bunch of money. I have even seen cool people on here take care of a new guy for free or very little coin.

Buy used save money for fishing.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Sdspeed

C. O. D seat $40

They say they have others, 100 miles north of you but I'm sure they'd ship a seat for less than fuel.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...437449193.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
200 bucks goes real quick.

Post up ads ol BWE for used equipment. Guaranteed to get responses and save a bunch of money. I have even seen cool people on here take care of a new guy for free or very little coin.

Buy used save money for fishing.

I usually tell people to NOT listen to anything that Matt says but he's right on this one. Post up what you 'WTB' and I'm sure you'll get a few PM's from other members.....I've received a few free items and have given away a few as well.

ooooh, one last thing.

You may need to buy Security Tokens before you post up any 'WTB' request. Check the General Kayaking Forum for more information on this.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I usually tell people to NOT listen to anything that Matt says but he's right on this one. Post up what you 'WTB' and I'm sure you'll get a few PM's from other members.....I've received a few free items and have given away a few as well.

ooooh, one last thing.

You may need to buy Security Tokens before you post up any 'WTB' request. Check the General Kayaking Forum for more information on this.
I've a Custom Tuna Taxi crate with rod holders you can have, Each one is handmade in their secure factory in little TJ. Security tokens are going up in the new year with all the Political unrest overseas and the uncertain future of commodities, add to that the strike at the LB and LA harbors. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit $12.00 and ounce!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
taggermike

There area few things that will make your yaking more fun and comfortable from the start. A decent carbon paddle, a quality seat with an inflatable butt pad, a PFD that is made for kayaking, and since its winter-a good paddling jacket/wader/underfleece combo. These things will save you the tired/sore wrists, sore/soggy ass, and low body temperture and let you focus on fishing.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Wayne_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
There area few things that will make your yaking more fun and comfortable from the start. A decent carbon paddle, a quality seat with an inflatable butt pad, a PFD that is made for kayaking, and since its winter-a good paddling jacket/wader/underfleece combo. These things will save you the tired/sore wrists, sore/soggy ass, and low body temperture and let you focus on fishing.

You know what, on my way to work today I was thinking "Do I need some waders?". I imagine even on a lake there is a good possibility of getting wet no?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Wayne_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
Perris is closed tuesdays and wednesdays

The carbon Aquabound paddles seem to get good reviews. The fiberglass hobie paddles are decent. If you buy a used one, make sure its a newer model. '09 or better i think. Pass on the higher end paddles and save the money for when you upgrade to a _ _ _ _ _.

COD apex seat as a minimum.

Radio should be Waterproof/floating.

Any high back pfd. I wouldnt recomend the Ascend Fishing PFD. The storage pockets are bulky and get in the way if you like to reel with the butt tucked under your arm. It also doesnt make it easy to attach a radio to your person either.
Yea, the muck in Perris scares me. Wish had a decent local lake closer. Ocean or somewhat decent mountain lakes all @ an hour away. $$ we pay for cheaper housing in the IE.

Thanks for the tips above too
Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #16
CheapPelican

And a dry bag for your phone. Wall mart has them for 7 bucks. Don't use zip lock bags.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #17
Cbad Mike

A whistle for safety is a must have item and the best part is that its the cheapest thing you will buy.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
Mongo Johnson

Find a crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
. . . . Find a milk crate.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7854990.story

Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_R View Post
Yea, the muck in Perris scares me. Wish had a decent local lake closer. Ocean or somewhat decent mountain lakes all @ an hour away. $$ we pay for cheaper housing in the IE.

Thanks for the tips above too
Yea everything is a hour away but that's the cool part of living here were next to everything. Silverwood and gregory are 40 minutes away, there's Newport and Dana a hour away, if you leave before traffic la jolla is just over a hour away(I have a lead foot so I can make it in hour or less lol) you can head up to Malibu, pay lakes corona lake, Irvine lake all close by, perris is right by too but I don't like it there, waters iffy and the dangers hallways hassle me with the yak
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
They haven't caught me yet