Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Shark Bites on COlors- myth busters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmt5gF1fqZo

I have blue... hehehe

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
jorluivil

I don't have either of those colors so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Exclamation Time to shave Frank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
it comes down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Nope!
No Way!!
Couldn't be true!!
Never happened!

That said I hear that facial hair attracts sharks:

The shark and color topic, again

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ttracts+sharks

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Last edited by bus kid; 12-12-2012 at 06:43 AM.
bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Yay Blue!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
wiredantz

My GWS Encounter @ Capitola 7/7/12 - updated 7/13

« on: July 07, 2012, 06:06:15 pm »

7/13/12 New information just shared by authorities:

"The shark was estimated by your accounts and the physical evidence as being possibly 14 to 16 ft long which would be a very large Great White Shark! Your shark could have been about one ton potentially or approximately 2,000.00 pounds."

First of all I would like to thank my guardian angels who helped me survive my encounter with an apex predator today.

Hooked up with Kirk (LilRiverman) hoping to get some WSB or Halibut today. Kirk agreed to carpool and use his van for our drive to Capitola. As we were unloading, Chad (Fishadow) pulled in and joined us.
There were some big ground swells coming in followed by a long lull between the sets. We time the lull perfectly and launch without a hitch at about 7:15 AM. Conditions were thick fog and very limited visibility. It’s a good thing I have 5 inch color GPS plotter / FF combo that I always love to use. I can see my exact location.

I had my yellow Revo 13 with me. I just got it on May 18 it’s her 4th time out and still a virgin.
We all work our way North, conditions were still foggy with limited visibility. At about 8:15 Kirk mentions that he would like get his gear ready and we all agreed to do the same.

We were just outside the kelp beds close to Pleasure Point in about 40 feet of water. I look west and see a small private boat with 4 passengers about 200 feet away. I will forever be grateful to these 4 people, Kirk and Chad.

I had 2 rods already to go, baited with squid and noticed I was getting close to the kelp. I started slowly pedaling away. At approximately 8:25 AM, I was about half way between my yak buddies and the private boat.

It started with a loud thud and violent jolt on the rear starboard side. The back of my kayak rose a few feet then the attack soon happened. I saw the shark's massive head come out of the water and bite the bow starboard underside.
His head was gray and white underneath his mouth. His mouth was already close when I saw him come out of the water with my kayak in his mouth. I can still see vividly the seriousness on his eyes.
This all happened in about 2 seconds. I would later find out that he came up from behind and showed his dorsal fin then charged for his attack.

The force of his attack threw me into the water and turned the Revo completely upside down. I immediately started yelling, SHARK, SHARK! several times. My first instinct was to get on top of the upside down kayak. I tried this once but I just slide off. I see the private boat heading towards me and in a flash decided it’s my best chance of survival. I did a slow breast stroke towards the boat and jumped abroad. The only time I was really worried was when my feet were still in the water and Mr. Jaws would a take a parting bite.

I was never in a panic and always fully cognizant of what happening around me.

The private boaters turned out to be Filipinos just like me. I could hear Kirk ask them if they could tow my kayak back to the Capitola Pier and thankfully they agreed. We were having some small talk and they told me they also have a Malibu tandem they use in the area. Guess they won’t be using it soon.

We slowly motored towards the pier’s boat ramp and pull my kayak on top. We exchanged phone numbers to keep in touch. Big swells were rolling and I had to do a balancing act. At that time there were 2 guys on rental kayaks going out fishing. I told to be careful and still went on their way.

I opened the bow hatch was surprised to find about 6 inches of water inside. I was really surprised because it towed gracefully. I brought out my bilge pump and pumped the water out. Pretty soon Kirk, Chad and JTfishing join me on the dock. JTfishing saw us coming in and also had enough. We bring our yaks on top of the pier and word spreads quickly about my incident.

News travels fast in this town, Sean Van Sommeran shows up with his camera. Bystanders were asking me repetitive questions.
As Kirk and I were loading to go home a Capitola community police officer comes towards us with his flashing lights on and starts taking a report, taking pictures and interviewing Chad and Kirk. I asked him how did he found out and tells me a passerby told him. Then his sergeant show up asking me if I wanted to talk to the local news. I said no thanks.

We were loaded up and driving home and I get a call from the officer asking me to come over to the police station. Soon I was instructed to leave my kayak with them for scientific analysis and there it still sits. Upon closer examination the police chief himself finds a small piece of a GWS tooth! I was assured that one of the officers will deliver my yak to my home.

Lost gear: 1 rod and reel and one scotty rod holder.
Bite size: 1 3/4 inches between teeth marks, 18 inches diameter.

Safety lesson learned today: Never go out alone. Stay close to your fellow yakkers. Make sure your PFD is strapped right, safety whistle, throw rope, bilge pump, as many pool noodles inside your yak, cheap pipe insulation will make your rod and reel float.
God watching over me. I honestly was never afraid through it all. I knew deep inside me everything would be alright
Back on dry land

The launch

Few minutes after attack

My Rescuers

Kirk and Chad, First Class Guys

The Capitola P.D. keeping the beaches safe.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:26:57 am by FishingAddict »

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Ggiannig89

shit!!!

i just bought a yellowish / orangish tarpon 140
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

Damn it, sunrise O.K. Trident.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
sasha

Well I have a red kayak. Now all I need to do is tie one of those hooks to the back and one in the front
http://www.handmadefishhooks.com/

Get a big butt and bleed it in the water. So when the big white goes for the lure (kayak) all I need to do is paddle it back to shore and viola. Just got me a 2,000lb shark.. World record the easy way.
Before you know it I just got the new extreme sport for every one to join. You my friends already have the kayak. Just need to paint the bottom red and get large hooks.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
danjor

Could the fact I was fishing on a yellow kayak explain why I saw multiple great whites while kayaking in Monterey, they didn't bother me they just wanted to say hello.
Now I mainly fish on camo x factors, if only the test included the colors forest camo and dessert camo...
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
wiredantz

Plausible

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Yay Blue!
X2