Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
min-va

Crankbait suggestion??

Just to see any good crankbait suggestions here..

Since i don't have a fish finder, normally i don't know the depth when fishing in harbor...so i barely use crankbait...

I have a Luckycraft flashminnow 110SP, which known to be halibut killer for surf fishing, but i never really catch anything with it....any of you using this lure on kayak? i don't use it much because i always think it doesn't swim deep enough...

Or any other crankbait suggestion?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

No a LC will not go deep enough, I believe 8-10 feet, look at the Rapala Xs and CDRs when the water warms up here you will do better with the crankbaits, when the calicos come to play around pilings and docks is when I will throw them or troll while paddle/ pedaling
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Yeah, Deep Divers work much better... but if you want to save a few bucks and give your existing lures a little more capability, try adding a little bit of weight on the line about 3' - 5' ahead of the lure... that'll help it dive deeper. I cast/troll cheapo BPS Minnows this way to get them to run deeper.

I don't have any exact science for you, but I use 2 little pinch weights. For me, experimentation is pretty important.

I cast them out me and let them sink for a few seconds, just like a CountDown Rapala. Then I'll start retrieving or trolling. I can't really see what's going on back there, but based on the line angle (assuming the line is taught) and how much line I have out, I'd guesstimate they run at 12' or more, depending on how long I let them sink.

When I pull them back to the boat they seem to come up at a pretty steep angle from underneath, where these lures would normally only run about 5' deep without the weighted line.

Sometimes I'll put bigger/heavier hooks on as well... but that usually turns a suspending lure into a sinking lure, and if you go too big you mess up the swimming action.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
min-va

Good to know! i just got a Rapala X-rap Deep, will try it over the eelgrass in NPH this weekend, i'll post pics if i catch anything with it.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Oh Yeah... forgot to mention, if you want to make it dive deeper but don't want to use pinch weights, you can also use a 3-way swivel or a setup similar to a halibut rig, just use a smaller weight that will lift off the bottom without much help.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

there was a guy selling some cheap a few weeks ago. i think there are all gone now though.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12503

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Yozuri Crystal Minnows are great for the money. Deep divers.