Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
neill91_maui

i need help on hook size

i need help on hook size i have been trolling a berkly saltwater shad with a trailer hook the hooks arn't very big but the fish doesn't stay on i think it is the hook size
thanks for the help
neill91_maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
DBITE

Upsizing the hook might screw with the action. Might just want to upgrade the split rings and trebles. A lot of times the factory hooks are dull and tend to bend when you hook a bigger fish, the split rings can also be suspect. Try Owner Stinger trebles, really sharp and really strong. Get a size that matches what came from the factory. I've caught some big fish on trolled hardbaits with really small hooks, so that shouldn't be the problem.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
neill91_maui

thanks but i just realized that this is berkley power bait realistix 3in shad they dont come with hooks but i think ill put more trailer hooks on and see if that helps
Old 06-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
JrBasser

how are u rigging it? a leadhead should do u good. how many stingers can you run on a 3 inch plastic?
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
DBITE

Yeah, don't need anything more than a leadhead on a soft plastic, especially a small one. There are much better baits to troll if that's what you're into. I would suggest some sort of crankbait, your catch rate will dramatically increase. Try one of these: http://www.plasticnavy.com/frenzy-minnow.html
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
neill91_maui

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrBasser View Post
how are u rigging it? a leadhead should do u good. how many stingers can you run on a 3 inch plastic?
i have an ah hook thru the head and a limeric in the back