Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Something I noticed..

I know it's been eluded to before but never before have I really given much thought about it until now. Lately, I've been having big problems with the agressive bull sealions in LJ. I would say just one, but I've seen two large bulls with the tan/white backs on them. I use 50-65 lb white power pro on all my bait rods and I think it was Brad who theorized that they were following the line from the surface right to their meal. Well, after weeks of stolen bait on the kayak, I got hit on a PB in LJ. I was fishing the YT shootout last weekend and after a slow morning at SCI and a few dry paddies on the way in, we hit LJ as a last ditch. I was the only one using spectra and it was my bait that was constantly get nabbed. Even when other baits were closer, knothead still prefered mine. As a result I'm switching back to mono mainline. I'd rather lose a fish to the kelp than not catch a fish at all..
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Dan

Probably true that the dog can see your line better over the other mono lines in the water right next to yours, but he's gonna get ya either way.

As for the fish, they ain't so smart, but they are strong, and so is the kelp, a bunch of my summer yellows would have been buried deep if it wasn't for the spectra.

Wasn't an issue last summer, but the kelp is thick and strong this year....as much as I love fishing mono, I find spectra pretty comforting this time of year in LJ
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Corey

Hmm. I've been using green powerpro mainline and have not had problems with the dogs. I even had knotthead come right up behind me the other day and not eat the baits. I think the key is giving him the evil eye while repeatedly thinking "these are not the baits you're looking for."
Old 06-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
... thinking "these are not the baits you're looking for."
lollol

Too funny. I think spectra does help him find your baits easier, but on the rare occasion I use straight mono the dog still does the same thing, finds where my line goes into the water and follows it right down to my bait. I am going to keep using spectra. Losing a few baits to the dog (that he likely would have found anyways) vs. losing a big fish everytime I get kelped isn't a decision at all.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
I am going to keep using spectra. Losing a few baits to the dog (that he likely would have found anyways) vs. losing a big fish everytime I get kelped isn't a decision at all.
Exactly! Plus, my irons spin better on spectra.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

I never lose baits to sealions.......or catch any fish....now.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Hmm. I've been using green powerpro mainline and have not had problems with the dogs. I even had knotthead come right up behind me the other day and not eat the baits.
Same here.. Go green!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Mike McFann
Junior

I have been wathching the sea dogs and monday I noticed a few things. This was the first time there were more private boats than yaks a LJ 3-1. Some of you must have been at SCI and WON had a blurb on yellows at LJ.

1. when hooked up keep your rod and your voice low. I noticed this especially on the boats. Someone would yell and a dog would fly over.

2. Clickers are a dinner bell for knothead. I hooked something monstrous and had a hard time taking the clicker off quick. I saw knothead making a bee line for me. My rod tip was low because i had the drag tight and whatever it was didn't stop untill he reached the bottom and I could feel him doing head shakes. Anyway the A hole the dog dives and the fish goes ballistic and then I am slack and extremely p'd.

I am thinking of putting on a light drag and adjusting after pick up with the dogs around??

my 2 cents
Mike McFann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
h2ofishfo

YEAH THAT WHITE SPECTRA WAY MORE VISIBLE THEN THE GREEN IN THE WATER EVEN IF THE GREEN DOES TURN A NICE WINTER GREEN AFTER A WHIL ITS LIKE A YOUR RIDIN A DONKEY HOLDIN A CARROT W/STRING
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

I never lose baits to sealions.......or catch any fish....now.
I guess the dogs don't like spotties
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote