Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

CCA BBQ

OK...I'm not above pleading or begging...The L.A. Chapter of the CCA CAL is having their big fundraiser this Saturday and it's an opportunity to support CCA with something we sorely need...Memberships and Money...!
The CCA is a grass-roots organization and it's supported my it's members. The $30 you pay for your yearly membership goes to the National part of our organization, so we need to raise some $ here in California.... all other dollars raised in California are kept in California...so this is your chance to help CCA CAL with some cash.
We have put together some great prizes for the target raffle, silent auction and a live auction.
The live auction has a pretty good list of trips and prizes...
1 Hog Hunt in Texas
2 Cedros Fishing trip
3 A BBQ for 20
4 Kenai Alaska fishing
5 Klamath trip
6 Estate Planning
7 Engle Cooler
8 Shimano Combo
9 Okuma Combo
10 Set of 5 Diawa Saltist rods

The Target Raffle will be handled a little differently than normal...instead of a big bin with all the tickets and a random drawing of the prizes...you will deposit your raffle ticket into the bin in front of the prize that you'd like to win, then a winning ticket will be drawn from just those raffle tickets.
The raffle will have a lot of different prizes, from sporting events tickets and sport-boat 1/2 and 3/4 day fishing trips to jet ski rentals... and SUP or kayak rentals from Andy at OEX Sunset Beach....rods, reels, landing nets, jigs, and lots of hats and t-shirts.

It's Saturday afternoon...they'll be a great BBQ, and some cold beer and drinks in addition to all the great prizes.
Meal time will be from 11:30 to 1:30
The Silent auction closes at 2
The Raffle drawings start around 2:30 with Live Auction following.

Here's a flyer for the event...if you have some questions or you want to help or donate...feel free to email me at jim@sabaslayer.com or John at ccacalla@yahoo.com.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-17-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:54 AM   #2
momo fish

I'll try to be there to support.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

BUMP

Who's coming to the BBQ...?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Who's coming to the BBQ...?
I am planning, but not %100 yet due to my wife's schedule.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

I don't think I can make it this time...My aunt's 80th birthday party is saturday afternoon, she's flying in from Hawaii. So I think missing that wouldn't be a good idea...
Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Can't make this one. My mom's memorial is Saturday afternoon
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Bring Em

Tony...bring your Aunt...she'll love the BBQ.
Hasheem...bring your wife...maybe you'll get lucky and win her a trip in the raffle. Introduce her to all the knuckleheads you hang out with...
Too bad Shawn, we'll miss you at the Promar table...I think Promar has a couple of free tickets.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Hashem...bring your wife...maybe you'll get lucky and win her a trip in the raffle. Introduce her to all the knuckleheads you hang out with...

I will be there, maybe with another angler, who is member of the PierFishing.com website.

My wife has to look after my grandson for the next week. Saturday is actually our 39th wedding anniversary!!
The grandson comes first, no matter what.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 05-19-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

CCA BBQ

The CCA CAL LA CHAPTER has a fantastic event planned for Saturday, May 21 from 10a to 4p at the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club, 1625 S. Sportsman Drive, Compton, CA 90221. They will be featuring something for the whole family. The event will feature a sumptuous BBQ lunch prepared by Calabasas Custom Catering. There will be games, product displays, “ask the captain”, knot tying contests, and a live jazz organ trio “Hook, Line and Sinker” to keep everyone entertained leading up to the fantastic premium raffle, silent auction and live auction. The premium raffle is one not to be missed. Four of Southern California’s finest saltwater fishing guides; Captain Brandon Hayward, Captain David Bacon, Captain Ben Florentino and Captain Jimmy Decker have each donated a guided fishing trip to the raffle. Headlining the live auction is a two-day Hog hunt for two in Southern Texas. Other first class live auction items include among others; a 4 day fishing trip to Cedros Island for 1 angler, a 2 day guided drift boat fly fishing adventure on the Kenai river in Alaska for 2 anglers, a 2 day guided kayak fishing trip for 1 on the Klamath River, Estate, Trust and Will Planning Service, premium rod/reel combos and a BBQ for 20. And the list is growing every day! The silent auction and raffle items will include popular name brand product that every sportsman wants and needs.

Tickets are $50 each and will be available on the day of the event.

CCA CAL is your saltwater fishing advocate and is working hard to protect your fishing interests, improve fish habitat, and build fish stocks through hatchery programs. Please join us, have some fun, and you just might walk away with a trip of a lifetime.

Hope to see you this Saturday at the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
Mahigeer

I was waiting for someone else to post it on SC surf fishing website,
but no one did.

Thus, I just post it.

Hopefully we get some people to attend.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Saba Slayer

Thanks

Thanks Hasheem
Please feel free to post this info anywhere you think that it might get some attention.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:26 AM   #12
Mahigeer

I forgot to take my camera with me, so no pictures by me.

Food was great, lots pf winners, excluding me or Momo.

Nice music, great place for BBQ.

Some money was made for CCA.

My guess is about 75 people showed up including a lady celebrating her 97th BD.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
Saba Slayer

THANKS

Thanks to all that attended or that donated raffle prizes (THANKS ANDY & OEX) and thanks for supporting the CCA CAL.
That BBQ was outrageous...ribs, chicken, pork, sausage, and they even cooked a lobster for "the lady celebrating her 97th birthday"!
That "lady" was Jim Pierce's Mom... Jim runs Leadmasters which is probably your best value out there on lead weights and leadheads. She's a great old gal and she was very suprissed at the birthday wishes and all. Jim is a big financial supporter of CCA CAL and he bought a table. Thanks Jim and Leadmasters!
We had a full table that Promar bought. Aaron brought his kids tent and the family and they seemed to have a great time. Thanks Promar!
The jazz trio was OK...but the real treat was watching and hearing Bart Hall sit in on the drums...he was actually OK...! Mike Lum brought a couple of games and made few bucks there as well as buying a table. Thanks Fred Hall Shows!
Grant from OKUMA brought a tent and an big Okuma display of rods and reels as did Cedros Adventures. Thanks to Cedros Adventures and OKUMA!
Shimano was represented as well with Dave Pfiefer and some of the Shimano staff buying a table also. Benny Florentino was there with his big comfortable center console. Thanks Shimano!
The Compton Rod and Gun Club had a table too. Thanks for your hospitality Compton Rod and Gun Club!
Alex from Rusty Hook in San Pedro had a table and supplied a lot of help getting the event together. Thanks Rusty Hook!
And... an Especially Big THANK YOU TO JOHN BALLOTTI AND ALL HIS VOLUNTEERS FROM THE CCA CAL L. A. CHAPTER for such a great job and for organizing a fun and successful first fundraiser.

The venue is really nice. Very private location with lots of parking and nice grounds at the Compton Rod and Gun Club. It was right off the 710 FWY near Atlantic and Alondra...as you turn onto that last road off Atlantic you look around and start to wonder about the directions then it opens up into that park like area and becomes a sort of oasis.
The Ballast Point was ice cold...and delicious!
I didn't win anything in the raffle...$100 worth of tickets and no luck....but CCA CAL did raise some needed cash and we got a few more members to join.
It's estimated we had 175 folks attend the event....!
Those 2 free copies of "The Bight" by Brandon Hayward were a pretty nice treat...Thanks Brandon!
Thanks Again to All that Attended...!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-22-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #14
Mahigeer

It was good seeing you and others there.

Would have like to met Bart Hall! Especially when hoe played drums.

I wonder who provided the lobster?