Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #21
T-Rex

Great video Greg!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #22
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
How do you make everything look so easy
It didn't look like that when we went out there huh Will? Nice Mr. Andrews! That was awesome!

J
Old 06-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #23
JDW

How hard would it be to put a camera on the line with a hook on it and actually film the fish taking the bait? THAT would be some really interesting footage!

I came across this go pro footage of a halibut taking the bait, hook and a ride to the surface... Is this what you're looking for? http://youtu.be/H0qDPVcFlig

Jess
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #24
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Excellent video! When abouts did you catch that white? Was this La Jolla?
The period between your waves was extremely long compared to our last 2 trips in the last month.
That was on Sunday at about 8am. No, it was not LJ. The fish was on live squid of course. Dropper loop style, but actually just my Halibut rig. Fish went 30 lbs.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #25
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Another great video Greg, congratulations on the ghost.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #26
Deamon

Dude! Now I know the two reasons you wear glasses...the first is obvious: it helps you when you're winding your line on the reel, duh. The other is for the hours and hours you spend viewing your videos looking for the magic swim-by from a WSB!Great stuff. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #27
GregAndrew

I use levelwinds. But they have not come up with braille hooks, swivels and fish finders yet, so I am stuck with them.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #28
momo fish

Greg, can you share location? Nothing specific just wanted to find out where squid is as we have nada down here and trust me we jig for them everytime we are out.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #29
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Greg, can you share location?
Ha! Here's what I do besides relying on others to give it up...
Ask myself..."now Jim, where have the squids beds been in past years?"

Watch the sport boats counts and see target fish in any quantity or planned late night trips in the schedule.

And at times, when guys like Greg just won't give up what they worked so hard to find on their own...just before dusk, I'll scream out at home really loud so everyone can hear me at one time: "Does anyone want to go for a ride with me?" I always get crickets and closed bedroom doors...because they know that means I'm driving the coast in the dark looking for groups of poorly lit boats huddled together. And if any lights are green...BINGO! I'll then scan the area and ask myself: Jim, do you have the balls to launch anywhere near here to check this out in more detail?

Last edited by Deamon; 06-11-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #30
Zed
BANNED

^That's pretty good, if not neurotic. lol

There has been scattered beds from roughly Seal Beach to Oceanside over the past couple weeks.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #31
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
^That's pretty good, if not neurotic. lol
Ha! Jim don't like that. Jim banned Zed.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #32
jorluivil

Quote:
Greg, can you share location? Nothing specific just wanted to find out where squid is as we have nada down here and trust me we jig for them everytime we are out.
Many of you don't know this but Greg fishes at least 4-5 times more than the rest of us

He fishes multiple days up and down the coast

He provides intel to a very small group, I mean really small. Fortunately, I am one of them

He has never asked for anything in return

When he's not fishing he spends hours looking at videos

He'll take you fishing and still buy you lunch

Rarely is he rewarded with fish

Yet day after day and week and week he's out there on the hunt

If you want to know where the fish are, get out there and find them. Don't sit back and wait for the information to fall on your lap because its not.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #33
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
There's some WSB and squid beds off of Izor's . If you can paddle out there make squid and catch fish....you earned it!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #34
5-20

Nice video!

If any of you read any of the swimbait sites such as swimbaitunderground.com or swimbaituniverse on facebook, there's a small bunch of guys who have figured out the "camera in front of the bait" deal and they're getting some really sick footage.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #35
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

i need to save up for some more go pro cameras.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #36
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I was on one of the beds yesterday and if you took away the 15 private boats, they are still very obvious. Keep an eye out for the Shearwaters which are sea birds about the size of a gull. They look very dark when flying but tan or brown sitting on the water. Gulls are also attracted to the beds but pelican's have very little interest in squid. Add a couple sea lions and you know you're in the right place. Hundreds of private boaters passed right over the spot that Greg found to get to another publicized spot. Greg is definitely the star here but time on the water is the secret.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #37
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post

Watch the sport boats counts and see target fish in any quantity or planned late night trips in the schedule.

And at times, when guys like Greg just won't give up what they worked so hard to find on their own...just before dusk, I'll scream out at home really loud so everyone can hear me at one time: "Does anyone want to go for a ride with me?" I always get crickets and closed bedroom doors...because they know that means I'm driving the coast in the dark looking for groups of poorly lit boats huddled together. And if any lights are green...BINGO! I'll then scan the area and ask myself: Jim, do you have the balls to launch anywhere near here to check this out in more detail?

And you wonder why some guys will always hook up and some just DON'T!

Attached Images

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #38
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
And you wonder why some guys will always hook up and some just DON'T!

Attached Images

Some of my favorite times on the water with you jerks
Old 06-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #39
momo fish

Thanks Jim.

I thought part of being on a forum is to share some info and not just to come get high fives when you do finally hook something to benefit the "community". If not then again like others have said it's not a report and more of a "here is what I can do".

I'm not asking for specific spots that no one else knows and people discovered themselves. I just asked where the squid beds are in general. Could of said outside of Oceanside, redondo or Zimbabwe and that would of at least pointed me in some direction. What is the point of any forums if that little info is not even shared. Heck even BD reports will indicate the days and area and most here think boaters are ###. Yet a kayak community won't even share that much with each other ? I have met guys at launches who won't post anymore and also those that post delayed post and I just don't understand it but I don't insist or tell them otherwise. I appreciate the info I get and share what little I know.

I can tell you this much that the day I actually catch something decent I will be posting it as 2 years ago I had no clue what I was doing on a kayak and these days I'm much more confident due to others showing me the ropes. I wish I could say I learned much from the post on here but really all I learned is how to pose when I get a trophy fish and how to smudge out the background and wait a few weeks . (Not all reports are like that and for the good ones I say THANK YOU).

Ironic we are ok watching and chasing sports and private boaters which is pretty much poaching there efforts but god forbid we share info among this group with a common hobby. Are we competing against each other for some unknown prize I'm not aware of or do we view each other as comrades. I would be happy to see you guys catch a trophy from info I provide or fish among others in good areas even if I skunk it. (And trust me I have many times)

Btw heard good things about you Jim from a buddy so don't take any of this in your direction. You just happen to have the balls to respond first! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post

Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #40
momo fish

I agree with you about going out there and fishing. The assumptions being made is that others don't and just rely on others or reports. I fish 2-3 times a week these days and for 6 to 12 hours at a time. I fish mostly one area cause I don't know many guys and frankly don't know many areas yet which is why I am on this forum.

I'm sure Greg is a great guy and this is not anything specifically towards him but in general as from what I hear from multiple guys this used to be a more share friendly community. I hope you veterans can think back to when you started how much you appreciated the good reports that you took something away from and improved your game.

I have my own pains which is 3 years and no big fish yet you won't hear a peep out of me. Heck I even drowned twice and still go out the next day. But you know the day I catch # 1, 2 or number 60 I will post my report. If 30 kayakers decide to join me then cool. There is plenty of fish and doubt a small kayak community can cause more damage than the party boats do everyday.

In my humble opinion it's selfish to post a report but not want to share any any little info about it. Might as well not post and be a lurker the contribution is the same.

Most of us are not in some secret code group cause some can fish 90% more time than others but I would not dismiss the other 10% as really I'm sure they wish they could fish the 90% of the time.

And your right we do miss yakjoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Many of you don't know this but Greg fishes at least 4-5 times more than the rest of us

He fishes multiple days up and down the coast

He provides intel to a very small group, I mean really small. Fortunately, I am one of them

He has never asked for anything in return

When he's not fishing he spends hours looking at videos

He'll take you fishing and still buy you lunch

Rarely is he rewarded with fish

Yet day after day and week and week he's out there on the hunt

If you want to know where the fish are, get out there and find them. Don't sit back and wait for the information to fall on your lap because its not.