Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Croaker Dave

Higher Tech Kayaks

After an initial tech ramp up, personally I have trended towards lower tech and simpler kayak fishing gear. I often don't even bother to bring my FF any more these days.

But I like tech stuff, I do it for a living, and here are some Robot Kayaks that put our tech gear to shame:
----------------------------------------

MIT researchers are working toward the day when a team of robots could be put into action like a team of Navy SEALs -- doing such dangerous work as searching for survivors after devastating hurricanes or sweeping harbors for mines.

Working in labs that resemble machine shops, these engineers are taking small steps toward the holy grail of robotics -- cooperative autonomy -- making machines work together seamlessly to complete tasks with a minimum of human direction.

The tool they're using is the simple kayak.

The researchers are taking off-the-shelf, $500 plastic kayaks and fitting them with onboard computers, radio control, propulsion, steering, communications and more to create Surface Crafts for Oceanographic and Undersea Testing (SCOUTs).

Read the rest at
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/scout.html
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
kurt

I'm already obsolete.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
bluesquids

Aqua Adventures had this Carbon Fiber Yak. Was a full sized sit inside. Could pick it up with my pinky finger and not even know it was there. Sic. :shock:
5k just fo the shell tho.. :cry:
Old 08-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
GBF

Call me Dave.......................you really need to go fishing!!

GBF
Old 08-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
madscientist

Re: Higher Tech Kayaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker Dave

The researchers are taking off-the-shelf, $500 plastic kayaks and fitting them with onboard computers, radio control, propulsion, steering, communications and more to create Surface Crafts for Oceanographic and Undersea Testing (SCOUTs).

Read the rest at
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/scout.html
I hope they got the extended warranty!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
T-Rex

Quote:
MIT research engineer Joseph Curcio, left, helps launch a SCOUT for experiments conducted off the island of Pianosa, Italy, in July 2005.
HMMMM, MIT is located on the Charles River with numerous marinas and a gazillion launch areas on the river or ocean within a 20 minute drive, the Woods Hole research facility is a pleasant 90 minute drive, and they go to to the island of Pinosa, Italy to conduct tests??? Somebody's having a good time with their grant money!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote