Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
FishNinjaY

3/17 5AM, Santa Monica or Marina del Rey? Where to launch?

My wife is running the LA Marathon next Sunday. I have to drop her off by 5AM!!

I'm wondering if there are any convenient launch sites with good fishing around Santa Monica or just south, or Marina del Rey? It has to be near the ocean, decent parking, and SOUTH of Santa Monica Pier, because everything north will be a zoo and all F&**ed up.

This might be my first or one of my first, solo, kayak trips, so gentle waters might be preferable. I'm thinking Marina del Rey? I guess I could go to Redondo also? (not sure how far a drive that is)

Thanks..
- J
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
FishNinjaY

scratch Redondo.. too far.

Where's the best place to launch and fish at Marina del Rey?

Anyone want to join me? I'll probably be in by 530AM, out of the water by 10AM..
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

MDR is a perfect harbor for yakkin'. Calm, large and lots of fishy little areas. Solo is no problem. Would love to join you but got too many home projects going on this weekend.

Marina del Rey public boat launch ramp is located at 13477 Fiji Way (Basin H). Enter the lot from Fiji Way, two blocks west of Lincoln Boulevard.
Fees: $10 launch fee (vehicle/boat); $7 (vehicle only) for parking your car and trailer is $7 for each 24 hours, paid on the Pay Machine located at the entrance, which accepts dollar bills, coins, credit, and ATM/debit cards. This fee includes launching, recovery, and 24-hour parking. If staying over 24 hours and up to 48 hours, you will need to pay the entry fee twice and clearly display the receipts printed side up on the left side of your dashboard.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
FishNinjaY

Thanks TF! That's perfect! It's a lock... I'll be there by 5am!!

Is there a bait barge? Any specific areas within the harbor, or fish to target, rigging tips?

-Jay
four-seven-two-zeven-seven-seven-nine, area code eight-5-eight.
call or txt if anyone wants to show a noob around the water
Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

There is a bait barge, after heading off from the boat launch it will be on your right just as the harbor curves to the left, next to the fuel station. It use to be on the left of the harbor, sorry, I never remember landmarks, I just kind of have a built in radar
Plenty of places to fish, you can through jigs up along pilings, rocks and docks. Drag some bait down the center (watch boat traffic, the channel is marked) or head out to the end and try the rocks at the end of the harbor. Lots of area. Google Marina Del Ray and you'll get a decent layout of the harbor. Good Luck.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote