Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
FishNinjaY

July 4 - Redondo Artificial Reef? Rockfish?

I don't recall seeing any reports here about kayak fishing out of Redondo? I've heard it's a pretty convenient launch ramp and parking? Never been there, but I'd like to give it a try. I also need to troubleshoot and test some livewell and fishfinder issues.

I'm planning an early morning session in Redondo on July 4 with my son. I'd like to get him on some consistent fish, no matter what type, but I was thinking at least some rockfish? I've heard that the rockfish are pretty consistent catching? I've also heard there's an artificial reef, was thinking of dropping a 1oz leadhead with a squid? or a rockfish set-up? Anyways, would always welcome any company... and any advice. Is there a bait barge? If so, what bait is productive to drag around there? Hoping to be in the water by 6am, and out by 11am before it becomes a full-blown drunken boats demolition derby. And, to spend the rest of the holiday with the family.

PM or email me if anyone want to meet us out there. We'll be in the Ivory Dune Hobie Oasis tandem.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Honcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
I don't recall seeing any reports here about kayak fishing out of Redondo? I've heard it's a pretty convenient launch ramp and parking? Never been there, but I'd like to give it a try. I also need to troubleshoot and test some livewell and fishfinder issues.

I'm planning an early morning session in Redondo on July 4 with my son. I'd like to get him on some consistent fish, no matter what type, but I was thinking at least some rockfish? I've heard that the rockfish are pretty consistent catching? I've also heard there's an artificial reef, was thinking of dropping a 1oz leadhead with a squid? or a rockfish set-up? Anyways, would always welcome any company... and any advice. Is there a bait barge? If so, what bait is productive to drag around there? Hoping to be in the water by 6am, and out by 11am before it becomes a full-blown drunken boats demolition derby. And, to spend the rest of the holiday with the family.

PM or email me if anyone want to meet us out there. We'll be in the Ivory Dune Hobie Oasis tandem.
Come down to LJ...
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

There are two reefs off hermosa and redondo.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=30203&inline=true

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=30202&inline=true

I'll be in tahoe that weekend. Good luck
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
wow.. that's some awesome, very specific info! I better figure out how to enter GPS coordinates into my fishfinder. Thanks for the scoop! Enjoy Tahoe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honcho View Post
Come down to LJ...
..tempting bro.. but I'm on back-up call and can't stray too far away.
plus, I'm not sure our A-game is ready for an LJ surf launch yet..
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

if you have no idea how to enter GPS numbers in your ff, you can always use a smart phone with your map app to somewhat figure out where the spot is at. i would probably stay away from a leadhead because you might get hung up on the bottom structure pretty fast. i dont know anything about redondo but i anticipate your report!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Hondatom

I will be at the Colorado river, raging in my boat that I don't need to paddle "I hope!" But I do look forward to your post and pix.
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
GregAndrew

I would not count on the gps coordinates put out by the dfg. They can usually put you in the general area, but I have yet to find one within a few hundred feet of where it is supposed to be. The Redondo AR can be fun for bass when they are around, but not usually much else. Hermosa AR is similar but usually less active. There can be some good rockfishing in deeper water out there if you can find it. Palos Verdes also has good rockfishing, but either place is going to be a good peddle.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
GregAndrew

I would not count on the gps coordinates put out by the dfg. They can usually put you in the general area, but I have yet to find one within a few hundred feet of where it is supposed to be. The Redondo AR can be fun for bass when they are around, but not usually much else. Hermosa AR is similar but usually less active. There can be some good rockfishing in deeper water out there if you can find it. Palos Verdes also has good rockfishing, but either place is going to be a good peddle.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

Rockfish

You probably won't find any rockfish at the artificial reefs (bass,sculpin and maybe a halibut)...but there is a very deep underwater canyon right outside the harbor. If you can find a hard bottom reef there you will find some rockfish. The are also tons of Sand Dabs along the edges of the canyon and just off the hard bottom areas. I was out on Saturday and had some good rock fishing for some nice Reds and Stars and a limit (35) of Crabs... the Sand Dabs were a nuisance although there were some big ones.

Good Luck
JIm / Saba Slayer

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 07-02-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: add photo
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
CheapPelican

^ How deep does the edge of the canyon start at?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Saba Slayer

Canyon

The canyon runs perpendicular to the beach in Redondo and kind of parallel to the peninsula. It starts right outside the harbor.

"How deep does the edge of the canyon start at?"
I guess the shallow edge nearest shore is at about 55' to 65'.

Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote