Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Ljs089
Junior

Veteran LF first Kayak

Hey guys,

I'll keep it short and sweet. I just left the service under a year ago and got into kayak fishing big time!

Unfortunately i adhere to a strict budget for now and around 1,000-1,400 dollars is the best i can offer for a used kayak. Let me know if you guys have anything you're willing to sell to help me start up this awesome hobby.
Ljs089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
Siebler

Thats a pretty good sized budget especially for a used boat.

We have tons of Demo boats at OEX right now for half that. Heck you can get a brand new Wilderness Systems Tarpon or Ride with paddle for less than that.

You should have no issue- Look in this forum alone, plenty of used gear to be had.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Ljs089
Junior

Thanks for the info CJ. I should have specified a little more clearly, the budget stated above is intended to look for a used fully rigged kayak for fishing. Wishful thinking would be a: Malibu stealth 12 or 14, an ocean kayak trident 15, hobie outback or revo. The reason being is the comfortability and performances these boats offer for long range fishing.

-Lee Smithey
Old 10-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Ljs089
Junior

I did see a really nice dune colored Hobie Revo which was fully rigged and it looked like it already sold for 1,000 dollars.

That was one nice boat judging from the pictures. So i'll definitely take your advice and keep an eye out on the forums.

-Lee Smithey
Old 10-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljs089 View Post
Hey guys,

I'll keep it short and sweet. I just left the service under a year ago and got into kayak fishing big time!

Unfortunately i adhere to a strict budget for now and around 1,000-1,400 dollars is the best i can offer for a used kayak. Let me know if you guys have anything you're willing to sell to help me start up this awesome hobby.
A couple options,
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/4733030252.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/4699344148.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Ljs089
Junior

The location is a bit of a stretch. I don't mind going an hour out. They both look like great boats too. Thank you for the references., the second link was especially cool.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Sdspeed

Quote:
The location is a bit of a stretch. I don't mind going an hour out. They both look like great boats too. Thank you for the references., the second link was especially cool.

if he'd take $1500 for the Revo it'd be worth the drive!
Plan it so you could hit up La Jolla on the same trip
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Irishman

I'll throw in my .2c for what it's worth. You have a really good budget to work with. Guys at OEX hooked me up over two years ago with a basically brand new x-factor that was a blem. It would take you 10 mins to find the spot where the blemish was. With that being said I would hightly advise thinking about your method of transportation, where you see your self fishing, where you actually end up fishing, fish you are targeting etc.
if you are focusing on la jolla and the occasional San Diego bay trip I would look at stealth 14 or a similar yak. Definetly do a test paddle. I love my factor but it's a beast to paddle, on the other hand it's so stable and the one time you need that you'll be stoked.
If I had to do it all over again test paddling and waiting for the right deal to pop up on this forum or Craigslist is the way to go. I've seen deals as low as $800.00 for fully rigged paddle and go amazing yaks. Don't buy on impulse, do your homework.
Stay in touch and look forward to fishing with you soon!
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
FISH11

This guy started out wanting to trade if you read on recently he changed it to sell kayak separate and all have full rigging. One is a OK trident 15 for 1/2 your budget. Check it out. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=23280
Old 10-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
momo fish

Be careful as this is the older model revo with twist mirage drive. For that amount you can get a newer used model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
if he'd take $1500 for the Revo it'd be worth the drive!

Plan it so you could hit up La Jolla on the same trip
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
Siebler

Quote:
Thanks for the info CJ. I should have specified a little more clearly, the budget stated above is intended to look for a used fully rigged kayak for fishing. Wishful thinking would be a: Malibu stealth 12 or 14, an ocean kayak trident 15, hobie outback or revo. The reason being is the comfortability and performances these boats offer for long range fishing.

-Lee Smithey
Have you demoed these boats? If not you may want to do that. You may be unpleasantly surprised if you take other peoples word for it without trying yourself. Not to mention you can compare models.

Your budget is still pretty big for a used boat. We have a stealth 12 demo for 400 right now and skme Wilderness demos starting at 600 (and they come with the awesome seating)

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
easyday

Don't count out the tarpons man I love my tarpon and I do some decently long trips. That boat is crazy fast and handles rough water well. If you live near Orange County I would be willing to let ya take it out for a paddle to test it out.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
fishnfoool

Don't rush

I have spent the last two years paddling around on a cobra tandem. It is a nightmare paddling a tandem by yourself. I just bought a 2015 hobie outback a month ago. That was the best investment ever. Pedaling along is so easy and a dream.

In other words, my advice is save the money and get what u really want. Test kayaks from oex or from anyone willing to lend you their kayak.

I still own the tandem and if you want to borrow and you are near long beach. Come on by and borrow it any time.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote