Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
greenscales
greenscales

Do we need Visas for Baja Norte - anyone want to go?

Do we need Visas to take our kayaks down to fish the coast of Baja Norte? I have seen a lot of posts that people think we don't. But no one seems to be 100% certain.

Also - I am thinking about heading down either early Friday/Saturday and returning either Monday or Tuesday PM to camp/fish between La Bufadora and San Quintin -probably Puerto Santo Tomas, since I know the area well. The only negative is I have spent very little time on the water outside of lobster in the last 9 months, so I maybe a little out of shape and not as much in the zone. I HAVE ROOM FOR A SECOND YAK AND ANGLER. Camping/cooking gear as well. So if you want to go ans split food/fuel or you and some friends want to caravan down there, I can even guide the PST reefs pretty well. Just let me know.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
Do we need Visas to take our kayaks down to fish the coast of Baja Norte? I have seen a lot of posts that people think we don't. But no one seems to be 100% certain.

Also - I am thinking about heading down either early Friday/Saturday and returning either Monday or Tuesday PM to camp/fish between La Bufadora and San Quintin -probably Puerto Santo Tomas, since I know the area well. The only negative is I have spent very little time on the water outside of lobster in the last 9 months, so I maybe a little out of shape and not as much in the zone. I HAVE ROOM FOR A SECOND YAK AND ANGLER. Camping/cooking gear as well. So if you want to go ans split food/fuel or you and some friends want to caravan down there, I can even guide the PST reefs pretty well. Just let me know.
The store at Dana Landing sells the Visas now and they may know the answer to that. From what I have been told you do need one for any fishing in Baja that is within 24 miles of the shoreline. From what I understand you need your Mexican fishing permit, Passport, and the Visa. If you find out for sure let me know, I was planning a trip to San Felipe and want to take my Kayak also.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
-scallywag-
Banned

i just got back from mex last week...u can get them at dana or at the boarder at one of the immigration offices. We did the immagration office route and it was easy, just need your passports and fill out a paper, they stamp it and your on your way. We did not have to pay anything for the visa and it took maybe 5 min. for 4 guys.

We where stopped (inspected) by the federallies, local police, and navy during our trip and they never once asked for the visa, only passports. Also during these encounters all the officials where very quick and courteous. I'm not sure why so many people r freaked out about driving thru baja....IMO things where much more sketchy down there in the late 90's-early 2000 when american tourism was booming.

Wish i could go
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
i just got back from mex last week...u can get them at dana or at the boarder at one of the immigration offices. We did the immagration office route and it was easy, just need your passports and fill out a paper, they stamp it and your on your way. We did not have to pay anything for the visa and it took maybe 5 min. for 4 guys.

We where stopped (inspected) by the federallies, local police, and navy during our trip and they never once asked for the visa, only passports. Also during these encounters all the officials where very quick and courteous. I'm not sure why so many people r freaked out about driving thru baja....IMO things where much more sketchy down there in the late 90's-early 2000 when american tourism was booming.

Wish i could go

treat them nice and they'll do the same. I've driven down to San Quintin a few times solo and never had any issues with the federales or police.

p.s.
they like cold drink and fruits

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
treat them nice and they'll do the same. I've driven down to San Quintin a few times solo and never had any issues with the federales or police.

p.s.
they like cold drink and fruits
Yeah I kind of though you had done some time.
sanQuentin.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
salty pirate

passport card works for international travel by land or sea. if you travel by air you need a passport book. here is a link to fill it out online. http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
you can turn them in at most post office's. I just went through all this for a 5day trip.
fyi it takes 4-6 week's and cost about $60. you can get them faster but it cost more.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post

Wish i could go

J-Man, I think I passed you last week. I was going south!. And your right about how one gets freaked out down there,especially when your on a forty # yellow with 30#line Saludos....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
greenscales
greenscales

Thanks

Thanks - i guess I will stop on the way down to p/u the Visas to play it safe. I agree about it being better than years before, when it was a 50/50 chance that the police or federales would harass you. Now they are truly more concerned if you are running guns or drugs than just trying to pressure you to "donate" $50 for their needy families. If any of you hear any reports from the area, I would love to know since I have been out of the loop since the end of last summer. - greenscales
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote