Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
FishNinjaY

Rigging Hobie Oasis Tandem & a Malibu Mini-X

I got a new Hobie Oasis Tandem, and took it out on the water 2 days ago. I also have a Malibu Mini-X Fish-n-Dive.. for solo adventures. I figure the large boat, the Oasis, will be fished solo with me in the back about 40% of the time, and the other times, will be with my son in front. We're both right-handed.

Mounts, Rails, Rod Holders?

I'd like to use the same fishfinder for both yaks. Thinking one of the Lowrance models?, and get 2 transducers to put 1 in each yak. Ideally, I thought a center position on a RAM mount arm, like the Lowrance Ram Mount would be good, but on the Hobe Oasis, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to place it in the center, unless it's right up against the forward seat back? I wonder if the Mirage Drive pedals and my knees & feet would be blocking my view of the screen? How do you guys have yours set up? I'm thinking I might need to mount it on my LEFT side instead? I struggled with the 2 molded in rod holders way behind me, and need to put some kind of extension tubes in those rear ones. (might also help if I get more flexible and less thick in the torso! )
Likely, I need something more forward, near my hands and rudder control areas, like rocket launchers or Scotty/RAM/Cannon rod holders? One on each side?

I think I'm pretty decided on installing some Yak Attack rails on the Hobie for sure, the narrower small profile ones? I think near the rear seat (mine), I'll put a 6" & 8" on each side, or maybe just a single 8" on each side.

Up near the Oasis front seat, which will usually be my 10-year old son (and hopefully eventually one or both of my younger daughters). I'm thinking just a 4" rail on either side.. mainly for some type of rod holder, like the Scotty or Cannon? Ideally, I would only put a center one and he could move it from side to side, but because of the Mirage drive well, there doesn't seem to be much center real estate to work with. The front hatch is way too forward for him to reach, so that's pretty much useless.

I think the Mini-X will be fine. I have a center cup holder I can put the Lowrance RAM Mount inside, or just in front of that. In front of the fishfinder mount, I can put a single Scotty or Cannon Rod holder which I can swing left or right. It might be a bit of a reach for me, and more so for my son.. not sure. I might not need any yak rails on either side. I already have 2 flush-mount rod holders front & back on each side (4 total). Unless you guys see something wrong about this plan, I think I'm probably set for the Mini-X. Yes?

Electronics:

Both yaks, I decided on a bow hatch battery in a Pelican Box or dry bag. I'd like to run TWO sets of wires back towards the main seat area. One wire set for the fishfinder. Another wire set to go towards the rear along the left side, for my livewell I'm making. Are there any special battery considerations? I was thinking of even a Pelican box, inside a drybag, suspended or velcroed up under the front hatch, and wires running back along the left side. The battery I have is a 12V 9Amp.. (courtesy of Raskal311 ) Can I run a Lowrance fishfinder, and my Livewell? My livewell will either have a Johnson 500-750gph pump, or the Rule 350 submersible pump, likely on an OEX timer to conserve power.

Transducers:

Hopefully, these won't be too expensive, but I'd like to get one for each yak, and just do the foam block Marine Goop install thru the hull. This way, I can just detach the main unit and move it from yak to yak. Reading here, it sounds like I want the 50/200 'ducer, right?

Fishfinder:

Which one should I get? (let the debate begin...)

OK... help me set up my yaks. I'd love to hear back, and see pics of what worked (and didn't) for you guys.

Teach me something before I start taking a drill to plastic!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
steveooo

Here is how I had my Oasis rigged.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=7760

In hind sight, i wish I hadn't sold it, particularly at that price

I used Ram mount balls & rocket launchers for the rodholders. They make the same balls that will attach to the YakAttack rails. I liked that they would all lay flat for transport, and I could rig them up for use. i wouldn't overthink the 4" vs 6" YakAttack thing. One thing that you will want to think about, is rigging the yak up with at least 1 paddle on, because you will always have that on board, and you dont want it getting in the way of any accessories.

When fishing tandem I'd keep the bait tank in back, when solo I'd keep it up front for ballast to keep the bow down. I used the same fishfinder between 2 yaks, just like you are describing.

For the fish finder, find one in your budget and go from there.

Good choice in Yaks. You'll have fun.

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
You know there's something you might have overlooked, I know I did!
RAM mounts make a sail mast wedge adapter for Hobies you can use for accessories. They come in both the 1" & 1.5" ball mounts, for what ever you might need & they're not that expensive.
I found this out too late after already having mounted a couple scotty rod mounts in the front of my Outback.
Sorry , but I have no suggestion for your FF dilemma.
I think you'll find the yak attack gear track very versatile.
FFY
btw; steveooo that tandem looked like a killer set-up!!!

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 03-25-2013 at 02:46 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

This will take me a while to explain, so I'll just post photos and let you ask the questions...100_0123.jpg

DSC02690.jpg

P1000168.jpg100_0125.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
theluckypig

i fish my oasis from the front seat and it works better for me... try it
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
FishNinjaY

Hmm.. I might check out that center sail hole wedge RAM mount.. I just wonder if the FF screen mounted in center, in front of my pedals, might be too far for me to see clearly, esp in bright sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckypig View Post
i fish my oasis from the front seat and it works better for me... try it
Interesting.. I wondered about that. From the back seat, at 250lbs, the bow rides high, and there's some hull slap. I'll try the front. How does it steer/track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
This will take me a while to explain, so I'll just post photos and let you ask the questions...Attachment 8731

Attachment 8732

Your fish-finder is on the right side, not in the middle. Why right side? or center? Do you enter from left side?

Attachment 8733
Looks like you have extenders in the 2 rear molded in rod holders, and 1 scotty rod holder on your left side, and a different type of scotty rod holder on right side of the front seat? Why these rod holder choices? vs the RAM launcher tubes? How often (or ever?) do you fish solo? Do you always fish from the rear seat? Ever pedal/fish from the front? What do you do with your livewell? I'm getting some great ideas here..

Thanks for the great pics and info!! (and.. nice fish!)

Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
walrus

Interesting.. I wondered about that. From the back seat, at 250lbs, the bow rides high, and there's some hull slap. I'll try the front. How does it steer/track?

For solo you'll need ballast on the Oasis. Sitting in the front without ballast the rudder is too high out of the water, start with about 5 gallons of water in the rear tank well. You may need more (I weight 195).

If you sit in the back it takes more to bring the bow down, about 60 lbs placed low and as far forward as you can get it.

If you sit solo in the the front the oasis is .5 to 1 mph faster but less stable. In the back its more stable and gear can be accessible in the front seat or rear tank well.

Think of it this way, it's like a pick up truck when in the front, and like a freighter when in the back.

100_0187[1].jpg

Last edited by walrus; 03-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

questions answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
Hmm.. I might check out that center sail hole wedge RAM mount.. I just wonder if the FF screen mounted in center, in front of my pedals, might be too far for me to see clearly, esp in bright sunlight. Too far forward to adjust the settings and manipulate the buttons. I have another kayak with a FF up front in the mast mount that doesn't require me to adjust the settings.

Looks like you have extenders in the 2 rear molded in rod holders these keep the rods higher from the water and easier to reach, and 1 scotty rod holder on your left side,Not a Scotty, its a http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...on-Tube/Detail and a different type of scotty rod holder on right side of the front seat? Not a Scotty, its a http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...on-Tube/Detail Why these rod holder choices? vs the RAM launcher tubes? Increased adjustablity and able to bring the rod pivot point closer to center of kayak. How often (or ever?) do you fish solo? I have too many kids to fish solo. Do you always fish from the rear seat? I fish from the rear seat because I can control the FF/GPS. Ever pedal/fish from the front? Yes, with Kid in the rear seat.What do you do with your livewell? Use it for storage when empty or a livewell when I want to keep fish alive. Oh yeah it keeps these lil' suckers alive after catching them...P7051100.jpgI'm getting some great ideas here..

Thanks for the great pics and info!! (and.. nice fish!)

I answered in black.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
FishNinjaY

Thanks all..

I picked up two of those RAM tube rodholders for my yak attack rail mount, but I have to return the rails. Too wide for the Hobie Oasis. Not a lot of real estate on the edges. Looks like I'll need to get the narrow profile ones.

I'm still undecided on where to put the fishfinder screen, and what fishfinder to get.

I may also get the Scotty articulating arm (( http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ar-Head/Detail )) and rod holder for the forward right side, which I think would be the most versatile swinging from right to forward to left.. just not sure how easily my 10-yr old son will be able to adjust that by himself.

I also got a anchor trolley I need to install, and a big dry bag for 1 or 2 batteries (eventually). I'm making good progress on my livewell/drybox. Should be good. I hope all this marine goop holds!

Thanks again for all the tips and pictures. Things are coming along nicely.