Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
greenscales
greenscales

Looking for partners for Thanksgiving to Baja

I've done this trip solo numerous times over the last 15 years - usually the water hasn't cooled from the summer high and less NW winds in the PM - but no guarantee. And with El Nino Grande this year, who knows - could be storms and washed out roads. Target area has been PST (22 miles long and winding drive on a dirt road) or Punta Baja (easy 10 miles dirt road)/San Antonio (25+ miles dirt) - but interested in Asuncion Bay as another option.

Fishing: Asuncion area is know for Black Sea Bass as well as other species - probably Hoo this year - current water temp is 80, but 5 more hours. Other areas are known for what we have, just dumber fish with less pressure - resulting more quantity and quality. Plus tons of big rockfish - Lings, Cabs, Goats, 5lb. Reds & Bass that become annoying. Until a few weeks ago the water temps were the typical 5-10 degrees cooler than up here (referred to as "The Baja or Pacific Cool Water Zone") and numerous 70lb+ coming in regularly from there to SQ with bait stacked along the beaches with the cooler water with the last storm - same temp as here now. I was at Punta Baja first of August and got done fishing a day early because I was worn out from catching 25lb on along w/the 10lb. Bonita and Calicos I had to get through - just a 15 minute paddle to the spot. Ice Chest was full - plus a a ton of rockfish for the last hour of each day. San Antonio has a new paved commercial panga launch and a few miles from Sacramento Reef and Isla San Geronimo.

With my PA14 - only room for one passenger and gear, no second yak on my 4Runner. However I will be shopping for a larger rack or may use my old Cobra Tourer, so possibly a second yak by then. P.B. has a house with rooms for $10 a night and $2 breakfast - it is where the commercial pangas get their bait and food every morning - if you speak Spanish - you will make friends. PST has houses and cabins for rent as well as Asuncion - but I also tent/dry camp - bringing my water, ice, food, etc. - then leave a spot for another when I need to head to the highway and town for more ice.

I am posting this months earlier to try to get some commitments early and give me less wiggle room to allow work get in my way. Again, weather may kill the chance. Ideas - if someone has a pick-up or kayak trailer, we can adjust and I can hold more passengers and caravan down from SD - I am near the San Gabriel Foothills. I do not speak Spanish, but have been kayaking Baja Norte for years. You need a Visa as well as a passport and Mexican Fishing License. I can make arrangements with Sammy at PST or Chuy (no English - so might be a bit confusing) at PB and have another contact near Asuncion to arrange lodging or camping. Gas, insurance, then food will be the biggest expenses, unless we want to get a panga one day as a tow boat or jump aboard to go farther offshore.

Let me know if you interested or have other ideas and also maybe a back up plan if the weather is bad down there or Hoo off the beach in No CA. - Richard
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I have a trip lined up with a few poor souls going to Asuncion for THANKSGIVING with Rossman. Check it out there is always room for one more person. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
greenscales
greenscales

We've discussed that bore

Let's communicate on the trip. Maybe hit up PB or SA on the way down or back. PST is an hour each way out of the way - so only worth it as a weather alternative. If you leave early enough and the weather is good, you can be in the water by noon at PB, stay there a night, then head back to the highway, fuel up, then south. Thanks
Old 09-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Ok I'll show my age, let me guess, you are suggesting an overnight stop on the way down or back at Punta Baja or Campo San Antonia? Where is PST? We are planning on Asuncion with maybe a side trip to Abreojos outside or if too rough we could fish the lagoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
Let's communicate on the trip. Maybe hit up PB or
SA on the way down or back. PST is an hour each way out of the way - so only worth it as a weather alternative. If you leave early enough and the weather is good, you can be in the water by noon at PB, stay there a night, then head back to the highway, fuel up, then south. Thanks

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
greenscales
greenscales

Yes

Yes. Punta Baja is an easy 20 minutes out of the way with cheap lodging, plus fuel and ice in El Rosario - not a fan of the food in town though - but the home made breakfast empanadas at PB are great. Launch is funky, break wall, but angled where it allows the surge from swell to circle around back to the beach launch and there are rocks in your path, so you need to time between sets. It more of a wind break. I do not see any lodging at Punta San Antonio though, but they hadn't finished the building around the launch, it is essentially a micro-port with docs for pangas and ocean access is through a 3' shallow channel w/a beach wall with surge - so almost as easy to launch from a beach, just not good vehicle access. PST is Puerto Santo Thomas, just South of Ensenada. Not far enough South to justify the drive from the highway to the beach and back on a long trip.
If fishing isn't great South, then this could be a day long meat trip on the way back for shallow water rockfish. I have multiple high points for reefs marked off PB loaded with fish, but strong upwelling currents, and you need to back off if you see a Panga because they are trying to mark my GPS coordinates on handhelds when I am fishing small holes and ridges they can't dead reckon on. I have only been nearshore for SA, but Sac reef breaks the surface, so easy to find. Supposedly the best Calico fishing anywhere and I have seen the pangas come back loaded with WSB & Buts netted from the shallows between the island and the beach.