Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
greenscales
greenscales

A Tale of Trips South of the Border

I had planned on heading down post Thanksgiving, but saw the forecast and threw my stuff together quick and left late Monday night. Too late to get to PST campground in time, so set up camp off the side of the road 2 miles before the road hits the beach. By the time I got someone to open the gate to the ramp in the morning it was after 10 PM before I launched. Within 1/3 of a mile of the launch I dropped down some jigs w/octopus on them and nailed two ling cod within 15 minutes - decent size, but not the jumbo one I was looking for so I released them. Tons of small rockfish. Landed only 1 more Ling, but found a rock holding some fat Cabazons. The only guy I could find to take my photo when I got in had never seen a digital camera before. First click he had the camera backwards. This is the best photo I could get.

[/PHP]

These fish were fat - the bellies were very heavy after cleaning, full of Octopus and whatever else they could suck up. I also found a few spots that looked like parasites at first, but when I packaged them in the light I figured out they were the tips (1/2") of sea urchin spines. Found then in cheek, belly and back meat. You can get a size comparison on this photo with the 6"Mogambo and the game clip in front of the fish.

Lost my kelp anchor late in the day and ended my ability to fish the spots correctly. The next day was tougher, I paddled out the rocks and tried finding the high points without a detailed gps. Finally found a spot that went from 170' to 30' in a 20' span - but current was ripping. In a few spots I would get bit instant, but couldn't stay on them. Had about a 18 lb ling fight me all the way up from 140', then spit the lure out next to the kayak, gave me the fin and then swim away. Ended the day with a few nice rockfish and a few mid-sized lings.

I went to LaBuf to fish early morning on Turkey day, but was hammered by Santa Ana winds all night, no sleep. Packed up to leave, but locals said the winds would stop mid-morning. Went out with a makeshift kelp anchor, but it blew until noon and couldn't get bit until then - so much for a quick paddle. Picked up 5 nice Vermillion then booked out of there. Was down there a month ago and picked up this nice Ling

Items of note if you go down - don't use the Tecate road, tried it for the first time and half of it is torn up, just hardpacked dirt for 25 miles. Also the owner of the camp/lodging at the PST ramp -Sammy Sanchez - is having some health problems and was in the hospital in Ensenada on both of my trips - keep him your prayers. Leaves the future of the spot in question. Here are two pics at sunrise from opposite directions from my camp at PST.

Last edited by greenscales; 11-28-2009 at 11:47 PM.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
TCS

Nice Report

Thanks for the write up. Sounds like a good adventure. Maybe you could try again on the pics? I'm interested in the kelp anchor, can you describe that? I just have a sling that I wrap around a couple of kelp stringers.

Only two more days to score a ling before the season closes up here. I might try on Monday.

One note for anyone considering going south. Sleeping by the side of the road, while better than falling asleep at the wheel, is no longer safe in Baja, particularly north of El Rosario. It is important to get to a safe campground with other people around.

Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
dmrides

I use a surfboard leash for a kelp anchor and it works great. It is easy to hook up to the kelp and easy to get free as well. I tie it in a knot to shorten up the length.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
stairman

tcs x20000

I wouldn't do that here and you're nuts to do it there especially alone which since you didn't mention anyone else
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
greenscales
greenscales

If you use your brains, Mexico is safe

Regarding camping on the side of the road down by PST, this is an agricultural and ranching/fishing community. The biggest danger that far away from the highway is wildlife or a pissed off bull. I had actually looked for a place near China point to camp, but there was more industrial/agricultural activity down there and I didn't feel comfortable trying to camp there. I would not even consider doing this anywear near a major road. I should have stopped at La Bufadora on the way down instead, that camp is accessible 24 hours. If you stay out of the area and under the radar of the drug runner's, you are fine down there. There is a also a very alert federale checkpoint on the highway right before the Puerto Santo Thoms turn-off. That was the problem 6 years ago, they were the ones who ripped you off. Now they may be a pain in the butt going through everything in the car, however they are legit and do actually make it safer South of Ensenada. The scariest part of the trip was trying to navigate through downtown Ensenada at evening rush hour after my GPS gave me wrong directions. There seems to be some confusion about how to use stop signs down there.

I don't know what happened to the photos in the original post, so here they are again:
Attached Images

Last edited by greenscales; 11-30-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Adding pics that were dropped in original post
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
stairman

If you are using a gps to navigate the streets of ensenada then you need to listen to someone who was going down baja when you were still shitting in your diapers.
Camping on the side of the road down in baja IS NOT SAFE OR SMART.
Yeah you have never had a bad expirience down there .But if you think you can camp out in the open where anyone can drive up while you are sleeping you are either delusional or stupid.
Personally I have not been back to baja in years and do not plan to go until and unless the mexicans get their shit to gether.

Safe ....would you go to any predominately mexican neighbor hood here in the states and sleep on the side of the road.

That's what I thought.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Matt
Support your local pangas

Greenscales thanks for sharing!!! Beautiful LINGAGE!!!

Matthew Chavez-Montoya Fallon

Last edited by Matt; 11-30-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
TCS

Greenscales,

Thanks for posting the pics. Look's like an outstanding adventure. Cudos to you for going.

I did not mean to call you out or criticize you with my safety comment. It was more of a word of caution for the uninitiated. Mexico travel and camping is inherintly risky, but I believe that it is a managable and acceptable level of risk for someone with good judgement and experience. It is also very rewarding.

I never camp alone anymore, but I do still go a couple of times each year. It sounds like you used good judgement in your decision and accepted whatever risk there was.

Be sure to post up again next time. Thanks, Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
NextBite

nice thread!

and cool picts!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
steveooo

Those cabbies are chunky (and ugly)
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote