Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
greenscales
greenscales

Is a New Year's Day Limit Bad JuJu

I wanted to get out to LJ for fin fish, but I had to prioritize my time and saw that the bite was tough so I decided to head to the bay Saturday Night for some crawlers instead. Spent too much for only fair bait at Ranch 99. I arrived later than I wanted and the hi-tide was going to peak in an hour (although only about 1 1/2 ft of movement. I got my first bug while I was resetting position of my second net, with only 12 minutes of soak time, a solid legal. After 40 minute soak and tide was starting to shift, 3 solid legals in 2 of 5 nets w/another 10 shorts. Air temp dropped to low 40's w/a little offshore. Nothing but a few shorts off that hole for the next set, so left 2 nets and spent next 3 hours trying new areas, sprinting between test sets - more as way to stay warm rather than saving time. None of my new test spots worked, but I p/u legal each of the next two pulls in my original spot. I decided to head back to the car to get some hot tea in me and take care of some other stuff, to return to a nice 4 lb er to finish the night. 7 Bugs by midnight.

Not that I believe in superstitions or folklore, but is catching your limit on the first day of the year a good or bad omen? A sign of good things to come, or used up my fishing mojo and things just go down hill from here for the rest of the year?

Now I need to start taking photos of the end result like some of you guys do - 1 batch of Lobster Rissotto w/some smoked shredded gouda and bacon pieces and 1 batch of Jambalaya w/smoked andoulie, worth the cold and the potential of bad JuJu for the rest of the year.
Attached Images

greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
Not that I believe in superstitions or folklore, but is catching your limit on the first day of the year a good or bad omen? A sign of good things to come, or used up my fishing mojo and things just go down hill from here for the rest of the year?
I've never hooped on the first day of the year, you'll have to go back out and find out. Regardless, you got a limit so I wouldn't consider that bad juju.

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-05-2011 at 01:37 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
dfroggy54
Rolly

Awesome! its time to brave the cold!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post

Now I need to start taking photos of the end result like some of you guys do - 1 batch of Lobster Rissotto w/some smoked shredded gouda and bacon pieces and 1 batch of Jambalaya w/smoked andoulie, worth the cold and the potential of bad JuJu for the rest of the year.
Where do you get your Andouille? I havnt found much local that I liked so I have gathered everything to make my own authentic (all the way down to Pecan and Sugar Cane to smoke it over). As soon as I finish welding up my new smoker im going to get some going but am curious as to where you get it. I do a lot of Cajun and Creole cooking so I tend to use a good amount of sausage but not finding anything that compares to the stuff you can order online from Louisiana has driven me nuts for a long time.

Oh yeah, Congrats on the lobster!

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
BT

I would say 7 in the bay is a damn good thing! Thats good luck!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Aaron&Julie

Nice catch!

Who cares about your future luck? You've got 7 nice dinners there.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
TCS

If I were a superstitious person, I'd be much more concerned about getting skunked on the first day of the new year.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
greenscales
greenscales

Yeah - it was good JuJu

Here are the results w/a few of the tails. Bacon Risotto w/lobster. Sprinkled a little Zataran's on it and it was great - but real heavy.
Attached Images

greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote