Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
bigbarrels

Rapid BAttery Charger

Does anybody know of a RAPID 12 Volt battery charger? If so, how rapid are we talking? Thanks in advance

Camping in Baja and trying to figure out how to keep batteries charged or recharged. HAve a generator that I could hook a rapid charger to......extra gas/weight....solar charger? extra batteries? Hmmm

wonder if this would work? anybody ever try this out? figure in the afternoons when the wind is howling I could have a battery plugged in and charging

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-..._source=nextag

Last edited by bigbarrels; 09-16-2010 at 02:15 PM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
jbm

How many Amp-Hours is your battery? And how fast do you need it charged? 12V or 6V?
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
How many Amp-Hours is your battery? And how fast do you need it charged? 12V or 6V?

12 volts and 10.5 amp/hr........looking to charge as fast as possible if plugged into a generator
Old 09-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
jbm

Any 10 amp car charger should work fine. It should charge in under an hour unless it's fully depleted. Just watch the temperature of the battery while it's charging. It shouldn't get more than warm to the touch. If it starts to get real warm, disconnect it.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
GregAndrew

If I remember correctly, when the voltage is held constant, then amps = watts/volts. So a 5 watt solar charger is only going to give you 5/12 amps per hour of charge. So 12 hours charging time will produce 5 amps. Might need something in the 12 -15 watt range to keep that size battery charged (with the spare battery charging all day).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
jbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
If I remember correctly, when the voltage is held constant, then amps = watts/volts. So a 5 watt solar charger is only going to give you 5/12 amps per hour of charge. So 12 hours charging time will produce 5 amps. Might need something in the 12 -15 watt range to keep that size battery charged (with the spare battery charging all day).
You remember correctly. And that 5W rating is generous. You'll probably only get about 0.3 amps out of it on a sunny day.

You can do the jumper cable thing, but have the vehicle running. And again, monitor that battery, watch for heat or gassing.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
-scallywag-
Banned

jumper cables from the truck battery, while the truck is running will get it up to 13-14V.

even without the truck running, it will dump enough juice in the battery after a few minutes to use for a day.

This should save some space, time and weight....wish I could tag along, ojos and scorps (and a million others) are going off right now .
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
jumper cables from the truck battery, while the truck is running will get it up to 13-14V.

even without the truck running, it will dump enough juice in the battery after a few minutes to use for a day.

This should save some space, time and weight....wish I could tag along, ojos and scorps (and a million others) are going off right now .

Now we are talking nice and simple......how long would you want to keep it connected to the truck battery if the truck is running without blowing something up? Guess I could go run a test.....There may be a third space open (have a friend getting back to me) trip is from oct 4th -14th
Old 09-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

you can leave it connected as long as you like....with the truck off, both batteries will equilize (power transfer will stop when the dead battery reaches the same voltage as the truck battery) with the truck running, the trucks voltage regulator will keep both batteries from overcharging....easy breezy.

Also if you bring a few extra 12V batteries (never a bad idea in mex) and a inverter (12V dc to 120V ac), you can connect the spare batteries in parallel (pos. to pos, neg. to neg.) and charge the whole bank with jumpers (this may take an hr+ to fully chare) then at night you dont have to run the generator (or even bring it depending on who power hungry your camp will be). We have even pre-wired, secured the batts and enclosed it all in a simple wooden enclosure so eveything stays put and doesnt take up much room in the back of the truck cause you can stack on it....and if you use some cheap, used batteries, it also makes a very nice gift to some hombre suerte when you're ready to leave.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
bigbarrels

thanks for the advice............great info and much appreciated.......going with the jumper cables
Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
wonder if this would work? anybody ever try this out? figure in the afternoons when the wind is howling I could have a battery plugged in and charging

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-..._source=nextag
Wow, never tried it but giving me ideas.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote