Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
driftwood

SD Tribune MLPA artical.

The MLPA is finally being made public. But when the artical is written by a blue shirt, Its just all one-sided view.

Ocean protection and political intrigue - SignOnSanDiego.com - San ...

Last edited by driftwood; 10-29-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: mlpa
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
walrus

Regardless of how they make it sound on the news, keep in mind that closures take funding. Don't pay to close down fishing, vote no on prop 21.

We can win our right to fishing, but it becomes much harder if give them the funding to pay to monitor closures.

Read the fine print of Prop 21. and how the newly formed Marine Protection Council (If prop 21 passes) can use it's funding.

Stopping the funding for closures is our best weapon in this insane war.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

That article was posted in the Opinions section. It is just a glorified letter to the editor. We should be able to get a similar rebuttal article published explaining our perspective on this issue. I am sure that Ed the UT outdoor writer could make sure it gets in the right hands. I think that he and PAL are friends. What do you think Paul?

The important thing is that if someone writes a rebuttal article, it cannot come across as an angry piece. It would have to be persuasive but remain unemotional and totally factual. I could write the article but do not have all the facts and references at my immediate disposal so I would need some help. Any volunteers? If anyone is interested, please PM or email me.

Another thing. Does anyone know what the Marine Protective Council is? Who serves on this council and what is their mission?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
walrus

The Marine Protection Council is a new state agency being formed (if prop 21 passes) to manage and regulate all issues relate to the inshore and coastal environment. Including closures (which is the ultimate goal of the groups writting this prop.)

Basically it will be a forever version of MLPA, with more power and authority to levy fees on users.

The three new environment councils created in Prop 21 is a huge threat to anyone who spends time in the outdoors for any reason. I do not want to be the one to say I told you so! Tell everyone to read the fine print, open their eyes before it's too late.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
jbm

Just threw this up on my facebook page. Here's hoping:

If you're in California, please vote no on Prop 21! Not only will it raise your auto registration fees, but it creates new regulatory boards and gives them the power to set policy for our forests, parks and oceans with little oversight or responsibility to voters. It ties the hands of lawmakers to allocate funds to education, law enforcement and safety. Do our state parks need more funding? Yes, but Prop 21 is not the way to do it. It's just another example of a law that sounds good in the title (Who doesn't think state parks are a good thing?) but in the fine print actually results in really bad policy.
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
jbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
That article was posted in the Opinions section. It is just a glorified letter to the editor. We should be able to get a similar rebuttal article published explaining our perspective on this issue. I am sure that Ed the UT outdoor writer could make sure it gets in the right hands. I think that he and PAL are friends. What do you think Paul?

The important thing is that if someone writes a rebuttal article, it cannot come across as an angry piece. It would have to be persuasive but remain unemotional and totally factual. I could write the article but do not have all the facts and references at my immediate disposal so I would need some help. Any volunteers? If anyone is interested, please PM or email me.

Another thing. Does anyone know what the Marine Protective Council is? Who serves on this council and what is their mission?

Bob
I wrote a long comment. Hopefully that helps at least. Writing comments on articles about the MLPA has become my new pastime. Maybe I can actually get out and fish soon instead.
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
I wrote a long comment. Hopefully that helps at least. Writing comments on articles about the MLPA has become my new pastime. Maybe I can actually get out and fish soon instead.
A good pasttime to have, right phookin' on...lots of us have that similar pasttime...

Halloween Scary Part II - so if Prop 21 passes, a Marine Protection Council will be appointed.

AYFKM?

(For those that need a translation for this acronym, how about, "Alas, You Fellows Kill Me")

We've all seen too well how appointments have been made in this process...as if they haven't bent us over backwards far enough, now they want to disregard the lube...

By all means we need to make sure that Prop 21 fails BIG TIME!

Just another feeble attempt by the other side to try to slip something by us, as if we wouldn't notice.

I had a good talk with 2 DFG's at a local beach today who didn't attend the latest meeting...they said they were a bit unaware of the whole MLPA fiasco...I enlightened them a bit, and when I borught up the little girls with their diarama and the benefit of an MPA saving the coral reefs, one DFG responded, verbatim, "Where's it at? I've always wanted to dive a coral reef, didn't even know we had them here".

"Marine Protection Council" ?

Seems to me this was all a grand plan by a bunch of conniving manipulators who thought they had all their bases covered and would not meet any resistance based on their backings.

Worst part about it, not only did they think they could misrepresent the facts to achieve their agenda, they also thought we would be too ignorant to realize what they were up to - that is the biggest insult.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote