Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Caseym

Going 'Buttin' in SD Bay....HELP!!!!

Taking my 7 year old Hali fishing tomorrow late morning. He's pumped!! Please give me an idea where to start. I know how to fish, just need, like, a general location to try so I'm not motoring around the bay like a tour guide.

Thanks,
Mazer
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
Whiteboy

Bait barge.
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
Batmann

I would load up on a kayak scoop at the bait barge. Fish a dropper loop using between 2 and 5 ounces of weight depending on amount of wind and current. I like to use a size 4 circle hook with a treble hook as a trap hook.

When you get a bite place your reel into free spool and let the halibut take the bait. Give it minute or two and slowly take in the slack and see if they are still on the line.

Have your gaff ready when they come up to color and you are certain they are legal size. I've lost a few keepers to head shakes and line cuts right at the surface.
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
StinkyMatt

Above advice good.

Except, if fishing with a trap hook you do not to give line for hook set. Fish with reel in gear fish hooks iitself, that's the whole point of the trap.

Good luck.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote