Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #21
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
No fish is worth ruining your daily ride.

Not to mention getting stuck in the middle of desert.
Baja is for adventure. Haha

P.S anyone thinking of still heading down, we will be crossing at Mexicali at sun up this Saturday.

Also a report from yesterday on FB says that the backside of the 5 from the 1 is closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 36AA4841-4CF7-4F77-BDDC-CC76786AEDC7.jpeg (69.1 KB, 130 views)

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.

Last edited by Denis_Ruso; 10-05-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #22
Dannowar

good luck bro. shoot me a report when you get back. I may head down in November when things clear up a little if anyones keen.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #23
oceansdyaker
Junior

So gang

What are we looking at here? Are we leaving on the 13th, 15th? Is Bob going to be back? Are the roads destroyed beyond the point of driving it? Is the restaurant stocked with food? Are the roads being repaired or is Sergio going to rip it up again. Curious minds want to know.
oceansdyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #24
Baja_Traveler

Well, there was a post on the Talk Baja group this morning with a bunch of pictures and videos of the drive between San Felipe and Puertecitos. It is still basically a moon scape with 90% of the road destroyed or covered up. Looks like it still would be an 8 hour drive from San Felipe, and only in a high clearance 4x4 or off road vehicle.
The road north from the 1 is closed and barricaded off because of the flood damage, essentially making the Gonzaga Bay area an island. I would expect that if you wanted anything particular from the restaurant you should probably bring the ingredients.
As of this morning Sergio is predicted to take a path further south, crossing right over Ross in Punta Abreojos and cross over to LA Bay. The Gonzaga area will get another dose of rain from it for sure.
Hate to say it, but I think this years trip will be a complete bust.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:47 AM   #25
oceansdyaker
Junior

Oh well

I looks like it's going to be a bust. I can't see going down under those conditions. Sergio is going to turn up toward BOLA and Gonzaga is going to get hit with rain again. Sergio should hit that area right around the 13th. The NOAA maps are very accurate. I think it should be postponed until November. Hurricane season ends Nov 30th. That will give the Mex gov time to repair the roads. Your thoughts?
Old 10-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #26
YakDout
Brandon

Makoville update

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansdyaker View Post
I looks like it's going to be a bust. I can't see going down under those conditions. Sergio is going to turn up toward BOLA and Gonzaga is going to get hit with rain again. Sergio should hit that area right around the 13th. The NOAA maps are very accurate. I think it should be postponed until November. Hurricane season ends Nov 30th. That will give the Mex gov time to repair the roads. Your thoughts?

I know I’m going for sure, as are a few of my friends. Might take a little longer to get down there. Who cares. We have four wheel drive and off-roading is fun. Worth it to get to Gonzaga for 6-7 days? Ya, no brainer. Baja or bust? I choose baja, every chance possible.

Last edited by YakDout; 10-07-2018 at 07:14 AM.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #27
Gr8fuldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
good luck bro. shoot me a report when you get back. I may head down in November when things clear up a little if anyones keen.
Hey Danny,

I may be able to head down early-mid november if the road gets cleared up, especially if there's a group going down.

Paul
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #28
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Here is an update from some friends that are heading for Asuncion and came down Mex 5 today

So we just completed the drive from San Felipe down Mex 5. It took about four hours to get from San Felipe to Chapala. There are some definite rough spots but most of the broken roads have drive arounds. There is work coming from both ends but there is no way for a Semi or lower car to make it thru. There are a couple washed out bridges that do require driving up the wash some distance before coming back onto the road. The usual dirt portion of the road near Cocos did not seem affected by Rosa.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #29
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post
Hey Danny,

I may be able to head down early-mid november if the road gets cleared up, especially if there's a group going down.

Paul
pick a date and I can do a SUN/MON/TUES/WED
Old 10-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #30
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Here is an update from some friends that are heading for Asuncion and came down Mex 5 today

So we just completed the drive from San Felipe down Mex 5. It took about four hours to get from San Felipe to Chapala. There are some definite rough spots but most of the broken roads have drive arounds. There is work coming from both ends but there is no way for a Semi or lower car to make it thru. There are a couple washed out bridges that do require driving up the wash some distance before coming back onto the road. The usual dirt portion of the road near Cocos did not seem affected by Rosa.

Thank you. Hopefully the area doesn’t get much more rain in the next few weeks
Old 10-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #31
flyfishinsteve64

Send a message via Yahoo to flyfishinsteve64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
days of your youth..........this was the way it was just 7 years ago
I miss this Baja the good ole days
flyfishinsteve64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #32
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
What are we looking at here? Are we leaving on the 13th, 15th? Is Bob going to be back? Are the roads destroyed beyond the point of driving it? Is the restaurant stocked with food? Are the roads being repaired or is Sergio going to rip it up again. Curious minds want to know.
Bob is back. 13th for me. Will post soon.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #33
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinsteve64 View Post
I miss this Baja the good ole days
NICE, we passed that spot from camp two days ago. ROADS are passable with 4WD. The pacific route takes 10 hours and is easily doable with a normal car. Drive from Chapala to Gonzaga was a breeze best I have ever seen it, only 16 miles off road and 6 new miles paved.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #34
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
STAY HOME dont waste your time. Now the real deal, come down the pacific side with any car with good tires 10-11 hours from San Diego.
Go OLD SCHOOL Baja with 4WD through Mexicali. was 14 hours two days ago, Dennis Ruso's group made it. It will get better every day. SERGIO will pass SOUTH of makoville by hundreds of miles following its CURRENT track. Puertocitos got tons of rain. 35 miles away makoville might have gotten 2 inches.

Please think it through, what was fine for me driving during the height of ROSA is not the brightest thing to do. But I live my life to its fullest. Most do not. But both sides of the Baja are driveable NOW and should get better day by day.

Just do what you are comfortable with. Remember lots of folks won,t even drive in Baja. Tight Lines amigos, I leave on the 13th, still debating on which route.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 AM   #35
oceansdyaker
Junior

Sergio

It looks like Sergio will be way past Baja before the 13th or 15th. It is expected to cross Baja on Thurs 11th. This looks like it may be a go. Clear sky's from there. Is it a go guys?
Old 10-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #36
YakDout
Brandon

Makoville update

Quote:
It looks like Sergio will be way past Baja before the 13th or 15th. It is expected to cross Baja on Thurs 11th. This looks like it may be a go. Clear sky's from there. Is it a go guys?

Yep, leaving on the 20th with my group for 7 days. Going down the 5.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #37
Mahigeer

Well, getting there is one issue.

How about fishing conditions. Is it going to be a productive trip?

I have been there to sit in camp for a whole week with only three hours of kayaking at the Alfonsina's.

It was predicted that it will be windy, but I went anyways.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post

How about fishing conditions. Is it going to be a productive trip?

I have been there to sit in camp for a whole week with only three hours of kayaking at the Alfonsina's.
My first time down I myself also only fished for about 5 hours or so in the week but by choice.. SO many other things to do like relax in camp, read a book, swim, talk with the boys and drink, eat at clementina's, explore the area.. To me the fishing is just a plus.

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #39
oceansdyaker
Junior

So Bob..

What is the big groupthink on the big group trip that is going down on the 15th. The storm should be long past and it looks viable to go down and enjoy. I am leaning toward going and I'm getting my gear together for it. But, I don't really know what others are planning. Who is going? Who isn't? What groups can a person go with and back? A curious mind wants to know. So who is going down and for how long? Maybe we can start a thread going for this and start preparing for it.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #40
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post
Hey Danny,

Paul
Paul, Asuncion with Rossman for Thanksgiving amigo. Hope to sea you there.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN