Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
BottomFeederPeter
Junior

10/26 - Crystal Cove - Calicos on fire!

Hi!
I'm new to the Big Water's Edge community, and figured my first post better have something to do with fish I caught from a kayak (bigger than a mackerel). After a few sessions on a borrowed Fish and Dive, I needed a yak of my own. Big thanks to BWE member BassDaddy for the smoking deal on a well rigged Stealth 14 and for being a rad dude in general. It was fitting that the first two real keepers on the boat were nice, healthy Calicos.

Met my buddy Duke at the tunnel at 7, on the water by 730. Paddled north to the kelp and lobster traps. The tide was full and kept most of the kelp sub surface, making structure hard to find. I started with a sabiki and after 30 minutes yielded only a single mac...and 3 bass fry. I switched to 5" Big Hammers and aimed between lobster buoys. The Calicos seemed to love red colors. 3 shorts and 2 keepers for me, 1 for Duke. The bite turned off like a light at about 1015, and with wind and swell conspiring we headed in.

I live in Long Beach, and usually fish weekends somewhere between Alamitos bay and Dana Point. Although apparently I need to make a trip to La Jolla. I'm always looking for new fishing buddies, mostly so my mom doesn't worry that I'm out alone. I can offer beer, #2 hooks, and shitty jokes in return. Mostly beer.

BottomFeederPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
SorryCharlie

Welcome to BWE!

Calicos are a lot of fun when they are in the mood to play. I fish Dana occasionally, so maybe I'll see you out there (if you see a red outback come join in the fun).
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I've always wanted to launch from that spot. Looks like you picked the right day!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
PapaDave

Where do you launch from at Crystal Cove?
Old 10-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
octico

That is along walk down and up to get to the beach. Where did you launch from?
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
BottomFeederPeter
Junior

Crystal Cove has been one of my favorite inshore spots for years, paddle or motor. Use the southernmost entrance on the inland side (same as the elementary school). Head towards the camp ground, not the visitor center. I have a state park pass for surfing mostly, otherwise its $15 to park. The road takes you past the RV pads and down the hill to the day use area. You can park ~50' from the pedestrian tunnel that runs under PCH, and its maybe 200' further to the water. I've also paddled down from the harbor on high surf days, but its not ideal. Just be careful as the Laguna MLPA starts at the southernmost (El Morro) point.
BottomFeederPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomFeederPeter View Post
Crystal Cove has been one of my favorite inshore spots for years, paddle or motor. Use the southernmost entrance on the inland side (same as the elementary school). Head towards the camp ground, not the visitor center. I have a state park pass for surfing mostly, otherwise its $15 to park. The road takes you past the RV pads and down the hill to the day use area. You can park ~50' from the pedestrian tunnel that runs under PCH, and its maybe 200' further to the water. I've also paddled down from the harbor on high surf days, but its not ideal. Just be careful as the Laguna MLPA starts at the southernmost (El Morro) point.
I also have the annual pass. Let me know next time you go out there. I may join you.

Last edited by octico; 10-30-2014 at 04:48 PM.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Aka abalone point.