Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
wrxkid
Junior

Second time in LJ 11/2....Success!???

Hold on to your yaks, here is my first report.

Ok, not really success. Got kinda skunkedzilla'd

This was only my second time going to LJ and it's been 4 years. Last time, entry was cake. This time we were met by 2-4ft waves. Being an avid surfer, I knew timing was key. But in the end, the entry wasn't as bad as I thought. Kind of a rush.

Swells were 70,000 ft at 13s. well, it felt like that. But actually more around 4ft at 14s. Weather laid down towards the late morning.

We tried to make bait for an hour or so before half my group (2 guys) went in because of sea sickness. I stayed out with another buddy and we were successful on making bait! Caught 1 greenie and 6 PMacs. Bigger size for sure. They were deeper too (~40ft). I figured this was half the battle in LJ. If you can make bait, you are that much closer.

Unfortunately, my noobism did more for the big dogs out there than it did for me. Ended up feeding those suckers the fattie macs.

All in all, a great day just to be out pedaling around with some beautiful views. so I think that was a successful day. Better than work!

BTW, I am selling my rig and getting a Hobie. Looks like the standard out there in LJ.
wrxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
fishnfoool

good choice, that is what i did.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

You are a brave man going out in 4-foot swells.

I get uncomfortable when the horizon can disappear completely behind a swell.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

nice photos. Hobie? You will like coming to the darkside......

Cheers

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Racksticker
Junior

Did you find your Malibu Kayak to be slow to get around or unstable or ?

I also have a Malibu X-Factor, 14', set up virtually the same as yours. In the bay it appears slow, but stable. I know I will be heading out to LJ for the 1st time next season.
Racksticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Siebler

Just FYI by the looks of your bait tank you caught bunch of Greenies (Pacific Macs) and 1 Spanish Mac

Its been an epic year and I have only been out there 1 time with 2 calicos to show. Way to get out there- the fish are still around, youve got time for another trip!

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
wrxkid
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racksticker View Post
Did you find your Malibu Kayak to be slow to get around or unstable or ?

I also have a Malibu X-Factor, 14', set up virtually the same as yours. In the bay it appears slow, but stable. I know I will be heading out to LJ for the 1st time next season.
I love my Malibu. I also have a Mini-x. I think they are great hulls. Stable as hell on the big stuff. I am just tired of it being 15ft, and it does get cumbersome in the bays. It is fast when it gets up to speed though. Plus, all the cool kids are pedaling and fishing at the same time! That's gotta be an advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Just FYI by the looks of your bait tank you caught bunch of Greenies (Pacific Macs) and 1 Spanish Mac
Thanks! I wasn't sure what you guys were calling greenies. LOL. NOOB.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
captnblood34

Don't cave for a Hobie dude! It isn't a standard unless you choose to make it one. Do you buy products based solely on reviews, start a hobby because you think it will give you street cred? I'm a paddler (WS Tarpon 120) and proud of it. IMO peddling a Hobie is equivalent to a trophy deer being taken by a cross bow.... Don't mind me though I'm just a Hobie hater but some that want to be on the water in a yak are limited to this option only. If you're concerned with it, Remember it's the fish earned and lessons learned you post that people are interested in not your ride.

Regards,

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The local Hobie dealer here says something like - There are only two kinds of people: Those that own a Hobie, and those that want to own a Hobie. Total BS but hey, he's trying to sell them.

They're pretty nice, but have their own problems and are overpriced. Try one out, maybe you like it maybe you don't. Paddle/peddle whatever you like, not whatever the cool kids are doing.

The main thing is to get out there and fish!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
Don't cave for a Hobie dude! It isn't a standard unless you choose to make it one. Do you buy products based solely on reviews, start a hobby because you think it will give you street cred? I'm a paddler (WS Tarpon 120) and proud of it. IMO peddling a Hobie is equivalent to a trophy deer being taken by a cross bow.... Don't mind me though I'm just a Hobie hater but some that want to be on the water in a yak are limited to this option only. If you're concerned with it, Remember it's the fish earned and lessons learned you post that people are interested in not your ride.

Regards,

J
Not a Hobie hater here, but I do paddle a WS Tarpon 160 and absolutely love it. I think it's going to be a very long time (if ever) until I switch. And I have a major right hand injury that only allows me to grip the paddle with 3 fingers.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
ceviche eater

I tried both before I made the purchase and I went for the X factor.
ceviche eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Hobie was the one for me. I looked at several kayaks before making my own mind up. To me the Hobie was worth the extra money. Not saying I have had no issues. But wouldnt change it for any other kayak. The plus out weight the negative for me.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
momo fish

The number of people going to hobie verses leaving hobie is very telling. That alone says enough. For me I wanted to focus on fishing and keep my hands free. Try both and see for yourself like others have said.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
The local Hobie dealer here says something like - There are only two kinds of people: Those that own a Hobie, and those that want to own a Hobie. Total BS but hey, he's trying to sell them.

And what did the local non-Hobie kayak dealer say? I'm sure he said something that would help him make a sale.

They're pretty nice, but have their own problems and are overpriced.

You're basing this on what? The fact that you couldn't afford one, refused to spend the money on one or because you'd rather paddle than pedal?

Is a Bugatti Veyron expensive? Of course it is............if you can't afford it.

Try one out, maybe you like it maybe you don't. Paddle/peddle whatever you like, not whatever the cool kids are doing.

I agree with you here. I started looking at the PA14 at least 8 months before I finally picked one up but I didn't buy one because all of the cool kids were doing it, I bought it because I could afford it and it was perfect for my style of fishing; long hours, comfortable seating and lots of space.

The main thing is to get out there and fish!

jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
wrxkid
Junior

You guys are funny. Didn't know I started something so fiercely debated. My buddy is pretty hardcore. MINI X, don't care!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
jorluivil

I know someone that went hoopnetting in a Mini X

his name rhymes with Roby

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote