Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #41
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
$1750 and free shipping, They are placing order with factory TODAY. Don't miss out. They will be great at our Island. Tight Lines Mike.
Not including the engine, right?
Old 03-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #42
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Not including the engine, right?
The NEW 6 hp Honda was $1900 out the door, the Tahatsu was about $1500 and someone here has a 3.5 used available. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #43
Baja_Traveler

Well, just got the call - The Solo Skiff delivery will be at OEX next Wednesday the 22nd. I was hoping for this weekend, but it will give me time to make last minute preparations for storage and rigging.
Feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas morning...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #44
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Well, just got the call - The Solo Skiff delivery will be at OEX next Wednesday the 22nd. I was hoping for this weekend, but it will give me time to make last minute preparations for storage and rigging.
Feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas morning...
DISNEYLAND...................BAJA here we come. I will be in Gonzaga, cannot pick mine up until the 28th. Bummer Kai I guess you get 1st blood. Can't fish mine until the 2nd of April. That gives pleanty of time to get them dialed in right BEFORE Mag Bay.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #45
CR Yaker

Quote:
Under normal Gonzaga conditions I would figure 15-20 minutes out and maybe 30 minutes back to and from Island. About an hour straight run to Punta Final in fair conditions. Will not know for sure until we put them into the Sea of Cortez as to how they will take the Gulf wave/chop conditions. Remember the Pangas were specifically designed for that chop. Only time will tell, but I am betting that they will do fine. Testing will take place in Gonzaga this spring as the Spring Break Trips will give us a chance to test them extensively down there. Yes YOU can test drive mine at Campo Turistico at KM 134, if I am there. Tight Lines.
I don't know, Bob. Just looking at that Skiff, scares the dickens out of me, if caught on open water with some heavy breeze. Hope you guys use a tether and kill switch. I could just see getting knocked off one of those while standing, maybe even sitting. I would imagine those motors will take a lot of abuse, salt spray. Will be interesting to hear your reports on performance.
Even on my motorized trimaran/TI, I get a bit nervous when the wind picks up, hold on tight, getting knocked around, while crossing open water.

The more I read about this skiff, the more I wouldn't choose it as an option for out front.
A Hobie AI with motor mounted (be it smaller), is going to weigh about the same as that Skiff (larger motor). I think I would rather be caught in the open with a trimaran than that skiff, especially Sea of Cortez. You can still do about 6 to 8 miles an hour on the AI, more comfortable seating, safer, additional powering means with sail and pedals. More storage capacity.

Also as a suggestion for a cart. I would check out the C-Tug Sandtrakz. It would just be at the limit of it's suggested max capacity of 176lbs. But you could break down the cart and take with you on the skiff. Would be nice, because then you can just pull the skiff into the water on the cart, release cart and store, on landing, pull out cart and install before landing. I would keep a tether on the cart.

I also like the air cooled Hondas for starting on the beach before pulling the TI into the water, so when the moment is right I can pull the TI forward and jump in/ gun it, especially for heavier surf. NOTE: I leave the cart in place and remove once past the surf. (Sea of Cortez, a non issue)

Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 03-19-2017 at 02:48 AM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #46
cabojohn
PROBATION

These Solo Skiffs are pretty neat and have their place.
I can see the fun chasing big fish & exotics. Big bang for the buck.
I can also see dangers of this small craft too!
One could get in serious trouble or in waaaay over ones head very quickly when chit goes south. It's only a matter of time...
Pick your days and be smart when you go out. Set your boat up with ALL THE SAFETY GEAR! The life you save may be your own.
BE SAFE.
$.02
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #47
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
These Solo Skiffs are pretty neat and have their place.
I can see the fun chasing big fish & exotics. Big bang for the buck.
I can also see dangers of this small craft too!
One could get in serious trouble or in waaaay over ones head very quickly when chit goes south. It's only a matter of time...
Pick your days and be smart when you go out. Set your boat up with ALL THE SAFETY GEAR! The life you save may be your own.
BE SAFE.
$.02
That's all you need to know right there...

This was designed to be a flats / mangrove boat from the start. Not something you would take the the 9 mile bank - though I won't hesitate to take it to La Jolla or off Point Loma on our typical calm days...
Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #48
blazian

live well?

Quote:
DISNEYLAND...................BAJA here we come. I will be in Gonzaga, cannot pick mine up until the 28th. Bummer Kai I guess you get 1st blood. Can't fish mine until the 2nd of April. That gives pleanty of time to get them dialed in right BEFORE Mag Bay.
Hey Bob, How do you plan on setting up the bait tank? I know your running a 6hp, so the gas can would go where we would usually put the bait tank or do you not plan on using one? I plan on using mine in La Jolla but it looks like a pain right now with the launch closed
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #49
sculpins4bait

So don't buy this for goin to the 9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sculpins4bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #50
Baja_Traveler

Don't know what Bob's going to do, but here is my plan. The bait tank is already built in and already has a drain, you just need to finish it. All tubing is below deck except where it goes through the rear bulkhead.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #51
blazian

Thanks Baja Traveler! I was wondering how to do a clean install, thats pretty nice! Let me know what pump you decide to use! How do you plan on rigging your FF, I don't really like how the east coast guys run their transducer all the way to the back instead of inhull mounting. just looks messy
Old 03-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #52
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
Hey Bob, How do you plan on setting up the bait tank? I know your running a 6hp, so the gas can would go where we would usually put the bait tank or do you not plan on using one? I plan on using mine in La Jolla but it looks like a pain right now with the launch closed
My bait tank will be the forward cooler, plumbed by OEX MB. Room for a few greenies or sardines. I am having the BooneDox Landing Gear installed with the Wheeleze Sand tires, yes it is expensive but it will be useable everywhere.

Sculpins, I will reserve answering for saftey sake YOU must know your and your boats limitations. If we are again allowed to fish deep water for REDS, then for me yes the nine might be doable in the Solo Skiff.

On open water I would go SLOWER, and would travel in pairs(buddy boat), and I do plan to chase peligics should they show locally. All safety equiptment MUST be in good condition and COMMON SENSE is essential, if it turns iffy, turn for home. Like my buddy Rossman there are so many fish and I want my fair share so being safe is important. I will be 69 in 3 months and hope to still be fishing well into my 70's.

Again these boats were designed for the flats, and protected water. Please STAY SAFE MY FRIENDS.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #53
blazian

How much are they charging for the bait plumbing install?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #54
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Thanks Baja Traveler! I was wondering how to do a clean install, thats pretty nice! Let me know what pump you decide to use! How do you plan on rigging your FF, I don't really like how the east coast guys run their transducer all the way to the back instead of inhull mounting. just looks messy
Unfortunately the only way to mount a transducer is the way they are doing it. Cant shoot through hull because of the foam. Now, a brave person who is not afraid to cut holes in their hull could install a bottom hull pocket to flush mount a transducer - and I just might be the guy to do it, but that is a future project.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #55
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Usually if you bought your yak from them you just pay for the materials and the install is little to no cost. It appears to be part of the service. AND they do great work. I could be wrong on the rigging price, so call them. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #56
blazian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Unfortunately the only way to mount a transducer is the way they are doing it. Cant shoot through hull because of the foam. Now, a brave person who is not afraid to cut holes in their hull could install a bottom hull pocket to flush mount a transducer - and I just might be the guy to do it, but that is a future project.
I will be that guy hehehe. I just need a little pocket cut out. Oex mentioned that another kayak co had same material foam and he was able to inhull mount by cutting.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #57
blazian

thanks both you guys for all the info. last question, will it be possible and easy to beach land the solo like a panga? Motor in on power and lift the outboard up?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #58
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
thanks both you guys for all the info. last question, will it be possible and easy to beach land the solo like a panga? Motor in on power and lift the outboard up?
Blazian, we will both be returning from our camp in Gonzaga around the 8th of April, at that time I will let you know the answer to your beach landing panga style question. We have the perfect beach infront of the place. BTW you are welcome to join us in camp anytime.

Kai, Blazain we might have to start a TEAM SOLO.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #59
blazian

Bob, thank you very much for the invite, I am getting more and more interested in going down. Just got approved for Sentri, just wish my truck was 4x4. Also if you can make a video of the beach landing! that is probably the most important thing to me, I don't like paddling/landing my PA14 in surf. Hope the Solo can take care of surf landing

Last edited by blazian; 03-30-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #60
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
If you buy your yak from OEX and what you want them to install the rigging is usually FREE unless you have something really involved. For instance I want them to install a forward hatch, bait system, Hobie H rails, and my FishFinder. The hatch, bait system and Hobie rails will be free because I bought from them, the F/F install will cost as I bought it elsewhere. SWEET DEAL.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN