Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Awesome!

Sooooo much great info. I need to start practicing my knots! Keep the info coming gents. I love it and I am learning lots! I am learning that a lot of the stuff I already do is a lot what you all are suggesting. I like the idea of not using the green braid and I will look for white. I was thinking I would just put a whole 25 yard spool of flouro on top of my braid (so I don't have to keep tying splicing knots?) but most of you are suggesting short top shots.... hmmm. I like that someone suggested not overlooking the good ole mustad hook. Last year I went out on an overnighter on the Penetrator. Capt Clay called the owners and gamakatsu's "gucci" hooks and he used only mustad! I do see the benefit of good hooks though. A two speed reel huh? I was thinking about that but $$$! How much would one of those set me back?

Thanks again,

Janine
Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #22
Widgeon

Strongest, smallest braid to flouro knot...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgeon View Post
Strongest, smallest braid to flouro knot...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8
thats pretty cool! I'll try it.

tks

J
Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
Sooooo much great info. I need to start practicing my knots! Keep the info coming gents. I love it and I am learning lots! I am learning that a lot of the stuff I already do is a lot what you all are suggesting. I like the idea of not using the green braid and I will look for white. I was thinking I would just put a whole 25 yard spool of flouro on top of my braid (so I don't have to keep tying splicing knots?) but most of you are suggesting short top shots.... hmmm. I like that someone suggested not overlooking the good ole mustad hook. Last year I went out on an overnighter on the Penetrator. Capt Clay called the owners and gamakatsu's "gucci" hooks and he used only mustad! I do see the benefit of good hooks though. A two speed reel huh? I was thinking about that but $$$! How much would one of those set me back?

Thanks again,

Janine
If you're lucky you might still be able to find a Shimano TLD 20II 2-speed for about $200 (if you're using Mono, not recommended for braid). I picked one up for just over that a few months back. If you have more $ (MXJ Raptor series if using braid $450+) look for an AVET.

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-24-2014 at 09:05 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #25
Widgeon

[QUOTE=janines.fishtales@cox.net;201291]thats pretty cool! I'll try it.

tks

I have been using this knot for a couple years now. From 30-65# spectra with 15-40# fluoro leader.
It's great..
I generally use either a Palomar or Uni knot from leader to hook or lure.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #26
momo fish

X2 on knot. Now if I could just remember it while rushing to re-tie between bites.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #27
gary sullivan

Quote:

Thanks again,

Janine

I keep the top-shot to 4-5 feet for several reasons. The uni to uni knot doesn't go through the guides, and I have less weight from the line which allows the bait to swim away faster. Usually abrasion occurs within six inches from the hook, so I can retie my Mustad Big Game hook multiple times. The only time a long top-shot is a must is when the seas are choppy and the boat is heaving up and down a lot. The stretch afforded by the mono fluorocarbon combo prevents pulled hooks and broken lines.
Most long range boats have 2 speed reels at your disposal for next to nothing or no cost. When you shell out several thousand dollars they aren't going to nickel and dime you, they want you as a happy return customer. Have a 2-speed available to use if you're in an area where the 60# plus tuna start showing up. Good luck out there.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #28
Wintersun
Junior

Check with the boats in the area. Some will have rigs you can rent for the 80-100 lb. line and will do a topshot for you on your reels. They will have their recommendations as to what they find works the best overall.

With braid to mono the strongest knots have been the Albright and the Slim Beauty so you can decide which you find easier to tie. With all these knots it is important to cinch the knot with the line wet or you risk weakening the knot and turning 65 lb test line into 30 lb test.
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersun View Post
Check with the boats in the area. Some will have rigs you can rent for the 80-100 lb. line and will do a topshot for you on your reels. They will have their recommendations as to what they find works the best overall.

With braid to mono the strongest knots have been the Albright and the Slim Beauty so you can decide which you find easier to tie. With all these knots it is important to cinch the knot with the line wet or you risk weakening the knot and turning 65 lb test line into 30 lb test.
Cool. Thank you!

Janine
Old 07-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #30
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
If I'm not using swivels here's what I do
Are you suggesting under some circumstances to use swivel at the end of the spectra and attaching the floro leader to the (snap?) swivel?

If so, under what circumstances?

It seems to me that although the swivel might get fouled with seaweed, it would also tend to keep that salad from sliding all the way down and fouling the bait.

(I, like Janine, have always been a mono angler, and sometimes use a snap swivel to attach a mono or floro leader. It certainly makes it easier and faster to try different gear without taking a billion different rods.)
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
Big T
Member, You Member!

Albright. Palomar and Improved clinch (4 twists on 25# or less 5 twists on 30# and up) depending on the application.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #32
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
Are you suggesting under some circumstances to use swivel at the end of the spectra and attaching the floro leader to the (snap?) swivel?

If so, under what circumstances?

It seems to me that although the swivel might get fouled with seaweed, it would also tend to keep that salad from sliding all the way down and fouling the bait.

(I, like Janine, have always been a mono angler, and sometimes use a snap swivel to attach a mono or floro leader. It certainly makes it easier and faster to try different gear without taking a billion different rods.)
three way swivel

Spectra to swivel
Mono/flouro to swivel & sinker
Mono/flouro to swivel & hook

Drop shot or dropper loop

Spectra to swivel
swivel to mono/flouro

or

spectra to mono/flouro using albright knot

I don't really have a preference on this one, sometimes I use a swivel and sometimes I don't.

I'm not a big fan or snap swivels so I don't use them much on my fishing rods but I do use them on my sabiki stick

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #33
BillzBaitz

1. improved albright for the spectra to flouro
2. Uni for the leader to hook
3. j hooks when it comes to flylining a bait, you cant to be able to set the hook which you can not do with a circle hook. I also like the ringed hooks if the bait is not very good
4. Always pin your bait through the nose sideways never pin their mouths shut with the hook
5. Be sure to carry egg sinkers, rubber core sinker, torpedo sinkers

***Keep in mind no bluefin fishing in Mexico this year***
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #34

Info

Anyone know anything about the Shimano Tiagra 16? I just found out my uncle has one and is willing to let me borrow it for my Sept trip. Is it a trolling reel or can I use it to toss a bait?

Janine
Old 08-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #35
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Anyone know anything about the Shimano Tiagra 16? I just found out my uncle has one and is willing to let me borrow it for my Sept trip. Is it a trolling reel or can I use it to toss a bait?

Janine
Janine, the Shimano Tiagra series are very good reels.
The Tiagra 16 has a twin drag system (It's been the original design, to this day I don't understand why.) You can use it to toss bait but too light (IMO) for trolling. My trolling reels are 50 & 50W (with mono). I own a Tiagra 16 for a bait reel (for tossing bigger baits or smaller ones with sliding weights w/40-60#).
Looking for a "dedicated" trolling reel for 200# Spectra Hollow-Ace w/150# top-shot! Maybe the AVET, 50EX or TR-X 50.
JUST MY .02
FFY
Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #36
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
Janine, the Shimano Tiagra series are very good reels.
The Tiagra 16 has a twin drag system (It's been the original design, to this day I don't understand why.) You can use it to toss bait but too light (IMO) for trolling. My trolling reels are 50 & 50W (with mono). I own a Tiagra 16 for a bait reel (for tossing bigger baits or smaller ones with sliding weights w/40-60#).
Looking for a "dedicated" trolling reel for 200# Spectra Hollow-Ace w/150# top-shot! Maybe the AVET, 50EX or TR-X 50.
JUST MY .02
FFY
A 50W and 200# hollow is great combo if you're trolling for marlin and the like.
Major overkill for a general kayak bait/trolling rig.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #37
FlyFishinYakr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgeon View Post
A 50W and 200# hollow is great combo if you're trolling for marlin and the like.
Major overkill for a general kayak bait/trolling rig.
Janine's original thread was help/advice for a 6-day trip on the Vagabond in Sept.
Her last question had to do with a Tiagra 16 as a trolling reel.
My last comment on a dedicated 200# Power Pro Hollo Ace w/150# top shot was just an example of what I'm looking for [strictly just for trolling to bring in any type of Tuna {Big Eye, Larger yellowfin} fast]) in a reel.
My Kayak trolling outfit is a Beastmaster 12/30 (aka; original TLD 30II) loaded with 60# mono and my new TLD 20II loaded with 40# mono both 2-speeds.
FFY
Old 08-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #38

Trolling

Thank you gents. I don't really care about trolling gear. The boats have those. I am interested in using the Tiagra for tossing a bait in case we get into bigger stuff. From what you guys are saying, it will be fine for just that, so I'm good!

Janine
Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #39

my trip is fast approaching!

Ok guys, time to get this thread started again. This is what I have been up to in planning for my trip:

I have got a pretty good handle on the RP knot for braid to fluoro/mono. I've used it, its easy to tie, and it works. This will be my go to knot for this application.

I have learned my go to knot for mono/fluoro to hook will be the improved clinch. I was taught this knot from the very beginning and it works for me. I have confidence in it and I can tie it quickly.

My thoughts on braid.... I think it is a necessary evil! I tried it and I don't like using braid straight to fluoro top shot. I don't like casting the braid, it's kind of touchy casting wise. So, I will use braid as backing, then mono to a 3-5' top shot of fluoro. Thoughts?

Rods... I think I have (and let me know if this is overkill) about ten rods/reels. Here is the line up: 1 light bass type outfit, 2 20-25# outfits, 3 30-40#, 1 surface iron, 1 40-50# with a two speed reel, and 2 50-60#.

As far as misc tackle, I will have extra mono and fluoro, weights from light rubber core and egg sinkers to varying sizes of torpedos. I will have light and heavy irons, a squid jig, varying sabikis and that's it I think.

So, am I on the right track here? I have gotten some good advice from you guys and I appreciate it.

Janine
Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #40
FlyFishinYakr

Quote:
Ok guys, time to get this thread started again. This is what I have been up to in planning for my trip:

I have got a pretty good handle on the RP knot for braid to fluoro/mono. I've used it, its easy to tie, and it works. This will be my go to knot for this application.

I have learned my go to knot for mono/fluoro to hook will be the improved clinch. I was taught this knot from the very beginning and it works for me. I have confidence in it and I can tie it quickly.

My thoughts on braid.... I think it is a necessary evil! I tried it and I don't like using braid straight to fluoro top shot. I don't like casting the braid, it's kind of touchy casting wise. So, I will use braid as backing, then mono to a 3-5' top shot of fluoro. Thoughts?

Rods... I think I have (and let me know if this is overkill) about ten rods/reels. Here is the line up: 1 light bass type outfit, 2 20-25# outfits, 3 30-40#, 1 surface iron, 1 40-50# with a two speed reel, and 2 50-60#.

As far as misc tackle, I will have extra mono and fluoro, weights from light rubber core and egg sinkers to varying sizes of torpedos. I will have light and heavy irons, a squid jig, varying sabikis and that's it I think.

So, am I on the right track here? I have gotten some good advice from you guys and I appreciate it.

Janine
Sounds like you did your homework.
I have some thoughts on some of your concerns.
Don't forget sunscreen!!!
You might want to pack some reel oil/grease for emergencies (optional if you know how to service reels).
If your not going to 'use' braid then why use it as backing (not meant to be sarcastic!), just go straight mono with a fluoro leader. Why take a chance on losing a fish on an unnecessary (IMO) knot? Plus with the price of braid, why pay for something that you don't plan on relying on? Plus it will take twice as much (or so) to fill as mono!
Also in one of your previous comments, if your going to use Mustads then I'd suggest buying a hook file. The reason most people will purchase the "Gucci" hooks is because they come out of the package needle sharp.
Do the fingernail test (old school) on a couple of hooks. Lightly stick a hook into a fingernail and pull (preferably thumb) and see if it "sticks" if it doesn't then you need to sharpen it until it does. When you do use the triangle style of shape.
I learned to do this decades ago and now since Mustad 34007 SS hooks are my go to fly hooks I keep one handy in my tackle box (7691ss are also my favorites for my single hook replacements for my jigs).
Here's a title search for a 4" hook file on eBay (I just bought one!).
4" Hook File W/ Handle High-Carbon Steel Cutting Edge +STANLESS ICE PICK. Offer 7.50, it should be accepted (mine was)!
Just my thoughts,
FFY