Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Reelist

Oh What a Feeling!

I was fishing the NW corner of the Jewel in my 3 month old PA 14 with greenbacks in the livewell; oh what a feeling. I thought to myself "the beginning of a great day on the water," oh what a feeling. It was early am and not a worry in my head, oh what a feeling. But, all that changed when my steering line broke. In an instant I was DIW; oh what a feeling. Thank goodness for the five or 6 rubber bands in my tackle box, and with the help of a friend, we were able to rig the rubber bands to the steering quadrant (acting like a centering spring). Once again I had (acceptable) steering and was able to bring the PA in without having to use the paddles; oh what a feeling. Now she (my PA) sits at idle in my garage awaiting repair. My thoughts are replacing the factory nylon line with stainless-steel-teflon-coated cable. Your thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Mike
Reelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I had mine snap on me back in june down in mexico...I was not pleased to say the least, especially having broken a mast down there the month before. I would take it apart and check the plastic grommets where the steering line passes thru the hull. Make sure there are no sharp edges, if there are...file them down. Replace with factory steering line and buy some extra steering line while your at it and put it in your extra parts kit...you have one of those don't you...?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Dannowar

Mo parts. Mo problems.

The one thing I don't miss about hobies.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Oh No... you would have needed to whip out the paddle!!??

1st world problems, man... 1st world problems. .
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
MissileTM

3 months old? Hobie has a warranty or is it just "new to you?"
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote