Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
SorryCharlie

Smile LJ 8/23 - Credit where it's due

Hit the Jewel last Saturday with a fellow BWE member Dorian. We were on the water just around 6:40.

The launch was one of the easiest I have had in some time, you got to love how perfectly sheltered the launch is from the swell we were having. The water and wind were calm throughout the day, water was 72 degrees and the sun was out.

Spanish were everywhere, but I could not find a single greenie (Dorian found 1). After about 3 hours of trying for greenies, I say F it, and load up with some Spanish.

We get to the area, start trolling and after a few hours I see Dorian bendo. He is trying to work it out the kelp, so I move on and while heading back to check on how he is doing with the fish, my line starts screaming. After a short 10 minute fight, the fish is gaffed and secure (Thanks Dorian for the OTW shot).
Name:  La yt.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  54.3 KB

Sadly, after securing the fish I look at Dorian and his fish escaped during the kelp battle.

Later in the afternoon the sea lions must have woke up because they were out in force. Bait would last less than 5 minutes in the water. I even had 1 dog sit about 10ft under my yak for a solid 10 minutes waiting for the next bait to hit the water. This was our queue to call it a day, back at the launch around 4.

Side note (Credit where it's due part):
If you have been having difficulties hooking up on the right kind, I cannot recommend the DarkHorse enough. I had fished LJ around 10 times with nothing to show for it, not even a nibble. At first I was reluctant to go the guide route, but bit the bullet late Oct. last year. Sadly, I have horrible timing (delayed wayyy to long) and went at the end of the season just as the YT are shifting modes, so when on the water with the DH I did not actually land a fish, but the knowledge I picked up was more then enough to justify the outing. In a way I am glad I didn't, because it meant my first kayak YT would be my doing (sort of..., it was DH knowledge)

This year I have made 10 trips to LJ, 1 BSB, 1 mako, and 8 YT seem like a pretty good return on investment to me.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Nice YT! Congratulations!! Thank you for posting report.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
5-20

That was a terrific time even if my got away!!!

Now, I just gotta beef up my biceps a little more so I can keep up with you a bit better...!!!
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
5-20

BTW, I didn't mention this to you... but the day coulda been a lot worse... a lot worse!

That morning, thanks to my ridiculous caffeine addiction and absolute must for a decent breakfast before getting anything done... on the way up to la jolla, I kept on telling myself to stop at a 7-11 or anything like that, but decided to just keep on going and hope that the gas station on the corner of torrey pines and la jolla shores would be open. And you wouldn't believe how bad I wanted to kick myself when I saw that they weren't.

And then a small ray of light hit me... and it wasn't a metaphysical ray of light but an actual one generated by the light from the starbucks hitting me when this dude walked out of the place!

I could hardly believe it, and full of trepidation... I nervously crept up to the starbucks, as if it'd see me coming and flee...

Yes, it was open for business! At the gaudy time of 5:45am! And as soon as I had a large coffee, a breakfast sandwich and a coffee crumb cake securely in my paws, I knew it would be a good day. And it was... and it was...!

Nothing like paddling around turbocharged with a bit of caffeine!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Lipripper92592

Is that a Lefty Lexa 400 on a Calstar Westcoaster? If so, how do you like that combo, what rod did you pair it with?
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
SorryCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
That was a terrific time even if my got away!!!

Now, I just gotta beef up my biceps a little more so I can keep up with you a bit better...!!!
Or you could just get a Hobie I can't lie, a Hobie definitely extends my range, with these scrawny arms I'm happy to get 2 miles round trip if paddling. You are going to get the next one, just keep up the positivity and time on the water!

Lipripper92592:
It's actually a Lexa 300 HSL-P, it is left handed, but smaller line capacity. As a lefty I LOVE this reel, as my wind is smoother with a lefty reel, which is rare to find in many reel models. The rod is a Ugly Stick Tiger rod (20-50lb). I only bring this rod/reel combo for bait fishing in LJ, otherwise I use the Lexa on a lighter rod for bass fishing. As a bass reel (and bait reel IMO) it is awesome, lots of power (22lbs drag) in a small frame, and it's durable, PLUS it comes in lefty. Only thing I will say, is don't expect to use this reel for surface or yoyo irons.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
I use the Lexa on a lighter rod for bass fishing.
You go after bass sometimes? I used to (cough) fish for bass every once in a while. Of course, that was back in the day... before I found out about La Jolla. Not really sure I'd recognize a bass if I saw one nowadays, tho... but I've heard those little lakes around here have some decent fish in them. Like four and five pounders...
Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
dpasinli

WTG Charlie! Stoked for you bro....maybe tomorrow????
dpasinli is offline   Reply With Quote