Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by isghj View Post
I was out at la jolla yesterday.

Caught nothing but lizard fish on the sabiki. Friend caught no bait at all on his. We gave up ~9am and switched to plastic and frozen squid. Saw no boils, no visible schools, very little surface activity.

Water was full of kelp forest debris. Sabiki kept getting eel grass stuck on it. plenty of patties on the surface within 100ft of old surface forest edge.

Current was reversed. Kept getting pushed east rather than south/SW like the rest of the summer.

so why didn't you use the lizard fish?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
isghj
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
so why didn't you use the lizard fish?
They don't keep well in my bait tube, I can only use them as I catch them if I want them to remain live bait.

I used one wednesday, because one was still on my sabiki by the time I set up my rod to use it, but I caught nothing with it. No nibbles, no strikes, pulled my rod up 15-20 minutes later and it was gone. Switched to squid.

With a sample size of one and no real reason to believe it was taken by a fish rather than just falling off, I felt that information wasn't useful enough to add.
isghj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
taggermike

It's not the freshest Intel cause I was out last Saturday but I could not make bait. I don't have a FF but shadowed along with some one who did. It didn't help.
Around 10 bait schools started breezing and feeding along the kelp line in front of the condo.
I chased them around for probably 45 minutes, casted 2 different sibikis in to them many many times for nothing.

2 weeks ago I had to go all the way to the access road at Blacks to find bait.

I've seen lots of larger smelt in the kelp and closer to the beach. They will usually come to chummed bread and be caught on very small sibikis. People seem to hate smelt but I've caught about every local sports fish on them Smelt don't troll well but they will get bit. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

sometimes you just got to shop around! mackerel might be over the kelp, or might be feeding on krill in 200' of water.

don't just stick to what you know
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote