Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
steveooo

New Roof rack

I’ve been seeing lots of posts lately about guys getting trailers for their kayaks, and best ways to rig up hitch extenders. I can’t be the only one that still car tops my yak, right? Old school baby!

I drive a lot for work. I’d love a truck, but $4 a gallon gas would send me to the poor house with how many miles I drive. I’ve been car topping my yak on a small car for a few years now. Its takes a little adjusting, but 30+ mpg while hauling the yak takes a little sting out of making the long drive down to LJ.

I sold my old car a few weeks back, along with my old racks. I had the old round bar racks. They were functional, but loud as heck. At freeway speed, it sounded like a hurricane in my car. I was glad to see them go.

I called Andy at OEX Sunset Beach to see what he had. He set me up with a nice new set of Thule AeroBlade roof racks. Finally got around to installing them this week.

Pretty clean system. Fit and finish is top notch. Only took me about 10 min to install, and they feel very solid. The best part- they are quiet. No joke, I can’t really tell that they are on the car. Super quiet, even at freeway speed. Other reviews have said they don’t affect gas mileage as bad as the round bars, but I haven’t burned though a tank yet to calculate mileage.

Here are some pics

Easy peasy rapid adjust system

Comes with 4 allen adjustment wrenches that store inside the foot pack

Closed up

The new Aerodynamic bars. Rubber inserts to keep the kayak from sliding around,

I was impressed at how well it all fit my car

I know a post like this isn’t as cool as seeing a 30lb YT in someones lap…hopefully I'll have one of those reports soon I think an occasional gear review is good- especially something that is used every time we go out on the kayak, and is critical for getting the yak there safely.

Pffft. Kayaks on trailers?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
CKallday71

Those are CLEAN! Look good. I have the Volkswagen Factory rails on top of my Golf but those look WAY better!!
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
momo fish

I still do as well but hardly see anyone else do the same.. And my car is an suv which makes it all the more challenging to load.. Would love to see a pic of your yak on top and how its strapped down..

only concern I have is how dirty car gets after each trip and with sand on the roof, I'm worried about corrosion. I have washed or had car wash after every trip.. This and loading/unloading seems to be only downside.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
CKallday71

Volkswagens have a 12 year unlimited mileage corrosion protection warranty, plus it's a lease, so I don't worry about it lol.
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
skrilla

Congrats on the new bars they look sweet.

I had the Yakina rack on my Honda. I found that the wind fairing really help cut down on noise. That is until I loaded my BMX then the wind would cut through the handle bars, peddles, frame, etc. But unloaded I would forget they were there.