Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #421
619-SWIM-DOG

My transducer for FF

The fish finder I use is 12v. Most but not all AA are 1.5v so 8 AA worked great. This set up last me a couple of days on the water. I started using rechargeable batteries(make sure they are 1.5v) so it would be more cost effective and less damaging on the environment. You couldmuse this set up for any FF. Its a simple way to do it and have good results. PVC, mariners goop, sand paper and a rubber cap and screws. There are many like it but this one is mine. It works really well and just use a spong to soak up the water after your done. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.1 KB, 1404 views)

Last edited by 619-SWIM-DOG; 11-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #422
619-SWIM-DOG

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.3 KB, 1385 views)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #423
619-SWIM-DOG

Pic 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.5 KB, 1379 views)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #424
619-SWIM-DOG

Pic 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.0 KB, 1377 views)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #425
MrPatrick

Swim-Dog, nice when you can mix in a "Full metal jacket" reference.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #426
OCRAT
Junior

Malibu Stealth Alternative Bait Tank / Livewell setup

Hi All,

Been lurking a while, nice to meet you all!

I've seen so many helpful innovations, thought I'd share my bait tank plumb for anyone with a Malibu Stealth.

Happy fishin!

My goal was to plumb and wire the livewell without making the intrusive hole underside of the boat. I used the existing 'scupper' hole in the livewell. This offers the following

- Less holes drilled in the hull
- Easy removal of the whole pump (if you want to use the livewell as a dry extra storage hatch (stock setup) just re-plug the hole
- You can still just use the stock livewell setup (no plug just flowing water through the 'scupper')

First I made permanent strainer for the livewell. Used a small faucet / sink strainer from the Depot. Dremeled off the lip and Gooped it in place.

Next, get the cheapest Atwood bilge pump from Walmart (no need for anything super strong GPH wise). Get some plastic tubing and some PVC fittings (pictured from Home Depot) you wont need more than a foot worth for this setup.

Goop it together (love that Marine Goop!) so it forms a base

Slide some tubing (fits perfectly but i used shelf liner as extra support) in the base so you can slide the pump in and out of the scupper hole). I added a livewell sprayer head and fitting to be able to adjust the flow.

I wired the pump to a waterproof deck plug, into the hull, then into my battery box. There is no on / off switch (got lazy) but to turn off I simply unplug. Just drill out the drain hole (drains out footwell scuppers). It is super quiet and lasts over 16hrs (using a 6 volt SLA battery) Simple yet effective.

OCRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #427
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I used that method (except I got a thread adapter and screwed the pump into the threaded drain) when I first got my S-12 because I didn't want to drill a hole in the bottom of my boat. It worked well for pumping water but it left the pump as a big obstacle for the bait and they didn't circle the tank well. It will work fine if you don't crowd the tank too much. In the end, I drilled the holes and mounted the pump through the hull with no problems.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #428
Witty1

Saw the motor mounts that Malibu has got on their site and thought I could improve a bit...
I utilized the same angle iron concept (used stainless steel) that comes in the motor mount kits but the difference is I am using two pieces of aluminum that sandwich the top deck. The aluminum is Goop'd in place and will be there permanently. It's mildly tapered so it won't cut/scratch things... me in particular.

I feel this distributes the load more evenly to the hull...
also... only needs 2 bolts & wing-nuts to attach the motor mount to the kayak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0100.jpg (50.9 KB, 1192 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0101.jpg (40.9 KB, 1193 views)
Witty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #429
jbaker

Some Cuda 14 mods.
First I relocated the rocket launchers to behind the seat and in there place installed two flush mounts. I now have 4 rod holders right behind my seat, perfect for 2 setups my net and gaff with the tank well open for fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.8 KB, 1186 views)
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #430
jbaker

Here's the rear view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.4 KB, 1187 views)
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #431
jbaker

In use. With our landlord issues on the north coast I prefer to keep my catch out of the water as much as possible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (158.2 KB, 1189 views)
Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #432
jbaker

Cuda 14 FF and battery set up. And yes I did get some flack for using Hobie through hull fittings from the Jackson guys but they are the best bang for the buck, $15.99 for 2. The transducer is mounted through a scupper under the seat using the Lowrance kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.0 KB, 1196 views)
Old 12-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #433
ROOKIE87

here is the front view. Changed the chair, put off road lights, and got it wrapped. Also got the ram mount for my transducer to hang off the side, and hid the 12v in my tackle box in the middle of the kayak. My electrical has all lazer etched switches for each light and have a usb cord if I need to charge my phone, you can see how neat the wiring is in picture 3.

Last edited by ROOKIE87; 02-26-2014 at 12:50 PM.
ROOKIE87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #434
ccacher1

I didn't want to drill a hole in my kayak to put my live well pump switch on so I needed a different way to cover the switch. Just a female and male PVC cap fitted together with the switch inside. I'm sure someone sells something like this but I figured I'd make one out of PVC for a dollar.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #435
TravisLovesYaks
Big Pappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRAT View Post
Hi All,

Been lurking a while, nice to meet you all!

I've seen so many helpful innovations, thought I'd share my bait tank plumb for anyone with a Malibu Stealth.

Happy fishin!

My goal was to plumb and wire the livewell without making the intrusive hole underside of the boat. I used the existing 'scupper' hole in the livewell. This offers the following

- Less holes drilled in the hull
- Easy removal of the whole pump (if you want to use the livewell as a dry extra storage hatch (stock setup) just re-plug the hole
- You can still just use the stock livewell setup (no plug just flowing water through the 'scupper')

First I made permanent strainer for the livewell. Used a small faucet / sink strainer from the Depot. Dremeled off the lip and Gooped it in place.

Next, get the cheapest Atwood bilge pump from Walmart (no need for anything super strong GPH wise). Get some plastic tubing and some PVC fittings (pictured from Home Depot) you wont need more than a foot worth for this setup.

Goop it together (love that Marine Goop!) so it forms a base

Slide some tubing (fits perfectly but i used shelf liner as extra support) in the base so you can slide the pump in and out of the scupper hole). I added a livewell sprayer head and fitting to be able to adjust the flow.

I wired the pump to a waterproof deck plug, into the hull, then into my battery box. There is no on / off switch (got lazy) but to turn off I simply unplug. Just drill out the drain hole (drains out footwell scuppers). It is super quiet and lasts over 16hrs (using a 6 volt SLA battery) Simple yet effective.

Wow! I wish my first post was as good as this one. LOL! Anyhow, I think this would work perfect with my Viper. Although it's a SINK, the tank has a similar design as the Malibu Stealth.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #436
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Has anyone built one of these I found this on Google image anyhow looks nice I want to build one but with bigger wheels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #437
Mahigeer

My suggestion would be Not to glue the unit like one would do when assembling PVC for water pressure.

Everything has to line up, so any misalignment is permanent and it will cost money to replace or start over again.

I have built rod holders with many connectors and angles. First I assembled the unit, then once happy with the unit, I used a small brush to apply PVC glue to the edge of the connector. It worked fine.

Good luck.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #438
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

I would do a dry fit and mark it with a Sharpie and then line up the two points

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #439
CheapPelican

Just run a couple of screws through the coupling to keep the pipe from twisting/pulling out.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #440
Bigfish
Junior

Pro Angler 14 dual seats Innovation

Pro Angler 14 Dual seats/tandumn seats.
This is such a big boat, why be selffish
share a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131231_170015.jpg (54.3 KB, 804 views)
File Type: jpg 20140101_101235.jpg (75.2 KB, 805 views)
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas