Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #41
Chuck D

Tony, dude, your like MacGuyver out there. Too bad to hear about the wind, you are just rolling the dice out there. Pissing in the wind, rookie mistake, almost pissed myself watching that. Another stellar film bro.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #42
Iceman
Administrator

Loved the "Oh Boy" in Part 2
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #43
FISH11

Another great video. I guess you have to plan on going there for more days than you might think. Just to allow for days when the wind blows so hard it just pushes you out to sea or down the beach where it wears you out to fight it on the way back in. If the wind doesn't come up then that's just more days fishing. I also learned you have to know where Tony is at all times if you don't want to get caught as they would say "with your pants down" Ha Ha Ha!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #44
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Question about Video 2, at the 2:43 mark...

Nice haircut...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher

Last edited by Tman; 04-18-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #45
ful-rac
Emperor

What's wrong with my haircut?

Just Added Part IV!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #46
FISH11

Video #4 was also great. I like how you showed us a little more of the interaction between all you guys. Sorry you had so many problems with the mirrage drives. I guess it pays to carry a spare, although they are not only expensive but quite space consuming. That's were a handle paddle cost less and easier to carry two. Those of us that have not been able to make the trip appreciate your videos because it let us experience some of the fun and now know how to be better prepared. Awesome way to end the video. I think Mr. Patrick is now a little more than just famous, he might still be there at La Jolla. Thanks for sharing Tony.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #47
taggermike

Great video of your trip. Baja fishing trips get judged differently from other trips in my opinion. No body got hurt, no vehicles were lost, you didn't end up in jail, poor fishing still=a great trip. You guys did catch some fish at least. Those triggers are a bit tough to clean but they're one of the best eating fish ever. Don't want to grind on the guy too much, but after getting blown away on his yak and pissing in to the wind I hope Mikie learned some thing. When that wind comes up out of the NE and you're still jonesing to fish you can head south a bit to Papa Fernandez and fish in the wind break that Punto Willard makes.
And Bob, your place down there looks just amazing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #48
rhyak

Dig the 4 part video's, So was this a 3 day trip or what man..

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #49
walrus

Tony and crew went for 3 days, mikee-likes-it for 4 days, walrus and John went 7 days, the rest of the guys all 10 days.

More fish were caught after Tony left........ reports will come when rest of the crew gets back in a few days.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #50
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
More fish were caught after Tony left........
Of course...figures...

We were driving home somewhere near Puertocitos and saw a football field sized foamer that didn't stop. We pulled over and watched it for a while. Quality fish working, frigates, boobies...the works. What can you do, it was our time to head home.

Tony, that was awesome stuff. Wish the videos didn't have to end. But until your next trip, I'll watch these a few more times. Thanks. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #51
ful-rac
Emperor

Still got some video left, may put some extra stuff out there. Still have your tip of the day and my tip of the day....
Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #52
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Still got some video left, may put some extra stuff out there. Still have your tip of the day and my tip of the day....
NICE videos Tony, and very sorry you coud not have stayed a couple more days, it was great having you and Jim in camp. SPOILER ALERT!!! Reports of TWO fish at about 50 lbs each to follow. Wait for it, worth waiting for.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #53
kayakfisherman

Tony,

Part 3 and 4 are just great stuff. I can only imagine how
much time you put into making these movies.

Thanks for your efforts. I love the baja coast, you did it
justice. The group you were with seemed perfect, even
superman pissing in the wind...

Did Patrick ever make it out?
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #54
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Tony, Sven's WSB makes the big TEAM SEWER table seem small. Again, thank you for the tables and the AWESOME videos. The stories in the evenings of other days and old times brought back lot's of good memories. Defjack was the unsung hero as he got the two cabrillo, both 10-15 lbs. Still waiting on Carlos to tell his story. It was a pleasure having you all down to our camp. 8-18 May is still a possibility.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #55
Mikey Likes It

Mikey's Report - BJ or Bust April 2014

Here’s my late report for Baja or Bust April 2014:

Thursday 4/10/14: I met up with the BWE crew around 6am on 4/10/14 in El Cajon. I had only met one person before but knew right away I was with good people. We drove 2 hours to Calexico and stopped for gas before crossing the border. We drove another 2 hours south of the border and stopped in San Felipe for gas and shrimp. Continued driving another 2 hours south of San Felipe till we hit the dirt road turnoff of La Encatadas. We arrived a little after 2pm and the wind wasn’t bad, so I quickly rushed to get my kayak in the water. Jim, Tony, Wally and Chris also made the one mile paddle south to Punta Bufeo. I caught nothing the first evening and was frustrated, but others made it back to camp with trigger fish for ceviche.

Friday 4/11/14: Woke up at 5:30am and launched a little after 6am to fish the point once again. Wind was calm and I caught a nice scuplin first thing in the morning. No bites after that and I didn’t pack any food or water so I was the first one back to camp around 11am. Ate a sandwich, gathered myself, and relaunched from camp around 1pm. Paddled back to the point determined and caught three really nice sized trigger fish. All were a fun fight and I even caught one while trolling a rapala. I started making my way back to camp but got caught in the wind. It was blowing hard directly off shore from camp. Luckily Sven (you the man!) met me on the beach with his quad and trailer to tow me back to camp.

Saturday 4/12/14: Woke up again at 530 but the wind was blowing hard so we waited till it died down and launched around 9am. Made the paddle to the point, but boy was that a mistake. I ended up catching one trigger fish and then docked my kayak on a beach in a cove to do some exploring. I hiked around some rocks, up some cliffs and got some amazing views. But the wind picked up quick and when I started to paddle back towards camp things became difficult. The wind and tide were against me. At one point I was paddling as hard as I could and I was only going .5 mph as white caps came over my bow. I never panicked and after a hard paddle made it to the closest shore and began walking my kayak back. To the rescue came Johnny and Tony. They loaded my kayak onto Johnny’s jeep and gave me a ride back to camp. A wind storm came that evening/night. If I would have waited any longer I might of had to camp on the point.

Sunday 4/13/14: Woke up at 530 and the winds were still whipping. Finally at around 8am the winds calmed enough and I launched with everyone to fish the reefs to the north. The tide was slack when we launched and fishing was slow but as soon as it started to move everyone began catching fish. Thanks to Bob lending me his bass set up I caught at least 20 fish in a couple hours. They were not the big fish I was looking for but still a blast to catch and made for a great day (Check out the video). I went back to camp, gathered my stuff, and started the drive back a little after 1. Seven hours later including a 1 hour border stop in Calexico I was back in Ocean Beach.

I can’t wait to go back. It was easy to get down there, the people were awesome, and it’s prime fishing grounds. Thanks to everyone on the trip especially the self proclaimed “mother hen” Bob. Here’s a video (make sure to change settings and watch in 1080p HD) from the last day fishing the north reef on the bass set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpm1...eature=mh_lolz

Last edited by Mikey Likes It; 04-30-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mikey Likes It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #56
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Nice video work Mike, came out great. Thank you for posting it. Let me know when you are ready to return. It was good having you in camp, specially your enthusiam. Next time make it so you can stay a little longer.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 04-30-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #57
ful-rac
Emperor

MIKEY!!!

Glad you made it back! We were wondering if you ever did!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #58
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Likes It View Post
Here’s my late report for Baja or Bust April 2014:

Thursday 4/10/14: I met up with the BWE crew around 6am on 4/10/14 in El Cajon. I had only met one person before but knew right away I was with good people. We drove 2 hours to Calexico and stopped for gas before crossing the border. We drove another 2 hours south of the border and stopped in San Felipe for gas and shrimp. Continued driving another 2 hours south of San Felipe till we hit the dirt road turnoff of La Encatadas. We arrived a little after 2pm and the wind wasn’t bad, so I quickly rushed to get my kayak in the water. Jim, Tony, Wally and Chris also made the one mile paddle south to Punta Bufeo. I caught nothing the first evening and was frustrated, but others made it back to camp with trigger fish for ceviche.

Friday 4/11/14: Woke up at 5:30am and launched a little after 6am to fish the point once again. Wind was calm and I caught a nice scuplin first thing in the morning. No bites after that and I didn’t pack any food or water so I was the first one back to camp around 11am. Ate a sandwich, gathered myself, and relaunched from camp around 1pm. Paddled back to the point determined and caught three really nice sized trigger fish. All were a fun fight and I even caught one while trolling a rapala. I started making my way back to camp but got caught in the wind. It was blowing hard directly off shore from camp. Luckily Sven (you the man!) met me on the beach with his quad and trailer to tow me back to camp.

Saturday 4/12/14: Woke up again at 530 but the wind was blowing hard so we waited till it died down and launched around 9am. Made the paddle to the point, but boy was that a mistake. I ended up catching one trigger fish and then docked my kayak on a beach in a cove to do some exploring. I hiked around some rocks, up some cliffs and got some amazing views. But the wind picked up quick and when I started to paddle back towards camp things became difficult. The wind and tide were against me. At one point I was paddling as hard as I could and I was only going .5 mph as white caps came over my bow. I never panicked and after a hard paddle made it to the closest shore and began walking my kayak back. To the rescue came Johnny and Tony. They loaded my kayak onto Johnny’s jeep and gave me a ride back to camp. A wind storm came that evening/night. If I would have waited any longer I might of had to camp on the point.

Sunday 4/13/14: Woke up at 530 and the winds were still whipping. Finally at around 8am the winds calmed enough and I launched with everyone to fish the reefs to the north. The tide was slack when we launched and fishing was slow but as soon as it started to move everyone began catching fish. Thanks to Bob lending me his bass set up I caught at least 20 fish in a couple hours. They were not the big fish I was looking for but still a blast to catch and made for a great day (Check out the video). I went back to camp, gathered my stuff, and started the drive back a little after 1. Seven hours later including a 1 hour border stop in Calexico I was back in Ocean Beach.

I can’t wait to go back. It was easy to get down there, the people were awesome, and it’s prime fishing grounds. Thanks to everyone on the trip especially the self proclaimed “mother hen” Bob. Here’s a video (make sure to change settings and watch in 1080p HD) from the last day fishing the north reef on the bass set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpm1...eature=mh_lolz
Nice job! Thanks for sharing, great video
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #59
walrus

Outstanding! Looking forward to fishing with you again.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #60
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Thanks for taking the time and making a video, thanks for sharing.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote