Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

la jolla 9-22

planned to launch at 3:30... alarm went off at 2:30, hit the snooze, goes off again, hit dismiss.. wake up at 4:15.. oh well.

on my way down i do my usual 65mph with the yak up top (saves gas) and as im getting off the bypass back onto the 5 just after the 805 split this dude in a mini van with a yak up top flies past me and across two lanes and off he goes... thought to myself "what a jackass... oh well, at least i'm saving gas". get to the launch drive on the beach, unload, go park, come back and guess whos stuck in the sand... mini van dude. decide he wanted to take the soft side with the "whoops" instead of go straight onto the hard pack. I'm usually all for helping out and would have even gone and got my car to pull him out, but remembering what happened earlier it just made me laugh.

launched into the fog just after 5:30. tried to navigate "blind" but when i checked the gps i was headed towards Torrey Pines... although i did make it out of the reserve.

caught some macs (which i came for) and a few sardines. pinned on a sardine and live lined it while drifting a double squid. nothing on either for a good 4 hours. ended up next to another yakker and a PB, i get hit hard on squid and the other yak does too at the same time, i try to clear my sabiki rod in time, get on the rod to feel the fish still there only to set the hook into water... fish gone. other guy is hooked up though and the fish is pulling him towards san clemente! turned out to be a BSB.

after that i caught some more macs and headed in. played around with the gopro and leopards in the surf before landing.

the trophies!

mondo macs, not many that are ideal bait size.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
carbonbass

lets see that footage chris!
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
lets see that footage chris!
deleted it, it wasn't very good. I'm going back tomorrow to paddle around the cove and dive in with them. get some close up video, maybe run into some soupfin or even a 7gill.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
sdfisher

I was out there yesterday as well. Tried to help the minivan guys for a while, not a smart move by them. My gps wasn't working and made it tricky in the fog. Couldn't find the squid grounds without being able to see where everyone was, No squid for me, lots of mega macs, a full hook up on the sabiki with those guys had my pole bendo!

Took my girlfriend to snorkel with the leopards a few weeks ago, pretty cool, lots of fun and we even got to touch a few of them.
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post
I was out there yesterday as well. Tried to help the minivan guys for a while, not a smart move by them. My gps wasn't working and made it tricky in the fog. Couldn't find the squid grounds without being able to see where everyone was, No squid for me, lots of mega macs, a full hook up on the sabiki with those guys had my pole bendo!

Took my girlfriend to snorkel with the leopards a few weeks ago, pretty cool, lots of fun and we even got to touch a few of them.
I found one pile of squid but only managed two which were promptly engulfed by mackerel lol.