Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
CheapPelican

Transporting Yak in a truck bed.

Whats the best way to secure a kayak in a truck bed? I usually transport my kayak on top of a ladder rack, but this weekend I'll be hauling two boats.

My X-13 will go on the rack and the Castaway will get the bed. I strapped it down laying diagnoly in the bed with the nose in one corner to hold down. There is one strap across the seat area linking the rear tiedowns. I ran the other strap through the side carry handles and atatched them to the front tiedowns to keep it from sliding back.

IMAG0265.jpg

It seems secure enough but I'm a little worried about putting too much tension on the carry handles. Any other suggestions?

I don't have a receiver hitch so a bed extender isn't an option.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
maui jim

get one of these....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Jolla Yellowtail 7-28-11 006.jpg (56.2 KB, 181 views)
Old 09-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

looks good to me!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
mtnbykr2

roll with that, looks like it will be fine
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Make sure to have a red flag on the end hanging off the bed and lights if you will be driving during in the dark.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Make sure to have a red flag on the end hanging off the bed and lights if you will be driving during in the dark.
Legally you should be fine without a flag, I think the law is anything over 4 feet. But heck, how hard is it to tie a red rag to it.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
Legally you should be fine without a flag, I think the law is anything over 4 feet. But heck, how hard is it to tie a red rag to it.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...e/overhang.htm

LAMP OR FLAG ON PROJECTIONS:
Per CVC Section 24604, whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle:
  • a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square, or
  • during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
richard67b

RED FLAG AND (I USE RED CEM LIGHT AT NIGHT) LIGHT
richard67b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
Whats the best way to secure a kayak in a truck bed? I usually transport my kayak on top of a ladder rack, but this weekend I'll be hauling two boats.

My X-13 will go on the rack and the Castaway will get the bed. I strapped it down laying diagnoly in the bed with the nose in one corner to hold down. There is one strap across the seat area linking the rear tiedowns. I ran the other strap through the side carry handles and atatched them to the front tiedowns to keep it from sliding back.

Attachment 4975

It seems secure enough but I'm a little worried about putting too much tension on the carry handles. Any other suggestions?

I don't have a receiver hitch so a bed extender isn't an option.

I have Ford ranger.....most of the time, i also carry two kayak. i place them the same way you have it shown in picture and the other one, up-side down on top of the bottom kayak. Cheaper than buying a rack and less air-wind hitting them from falling off the roof. I always have a handfull of red flags, i got free from Home Depot. Also bought this cool lights at Home Depot that light up red,The Life+Gear LED Glow Flashlight serves as both a flashlight and a glow stick, Flashers. That i Also use at night.
reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
get one of these....

No thanks. After the fourth month of pumping gas in to that thing I would have spent enough to buy a hobie outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Won't be driving in the dark, but I didn't think about the bow obscuring my drivers side tail light. I think I'll wedge my milk crate between it and the bed wall to get it clear of the brake light. That should keep the John Q Laws off my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer View Post
...I always have a handfull of red flags, i got free from Home Depot....
Exactly what I was going to use.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, secure, transport, truck