Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
5-20

Help ASAP -- Best 12v Battery and Charger in Town?

It seems like I need a new 12v battery and charger for my XFactor livewell. My battery's been dying on me in around 4 to 6 hours. Been taking forever to charge it, too. I can't really tell whether the charger's bad or the battery, or both!

I bought the battery and charger from OEX last year and I think I'd like to try a different battery and charger this time around.

I went to Fast Lane to see what they have, and unfortunately their charger's designed for the special connectors they use with their 12v batteries and don't come with alligator clips.

What other places in town sell those regular 12v batteries/chargers? I was hoping Turner's would have them since those batteries are also used in deer and game feeders, but they don't.

Hoping to pick something up tonight so I won't have any livewell issues tomorrow!!! Thanks!!!
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Lipripper92592

There is a chain called batteries and bulbs I think. There is on in Escondido. They carry all sorts of 12 volt batteries as well as 6 volts. What city are you located in?
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
5-20

Oh thanks, hoping to find someplace closer... I'm in san diego.

Wondering if any of the auto parts stores typically carry 12v batteries?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

i got a battery tender charger for costco comes with alligator clips too. i don't think they sell 12 amp batteries on their auto store.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 03-24-2015 at 01:00 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
5-20

Sears carries those online. Hmm, I think i'll run to one of their stores around here and see if they have any in stock.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
Yakkid
"Broke like a joke"

Murphys in el cajon has a shit ton
Yakkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
inbx3

Try Harbor Freight for charger and maybe Home Depot for battery. Good luck.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
It seems like I need a new 12v battery and charger for my XFactor livewell. My battery's been dying on me in around 4 to 6 hours. Been taking forever to charge it, too. I can't really tell whether the charger's bad or the battery, or both!

I bought the battery and charger from OEX last year and I think I'd like to try a different battery and charger this time around.

I went to Fast Lane to see what they have, and unfortunately their charger's designed for the special connectors they use with their 12v batteries and don't come with alligator clips.

What other places in town sell those regular 12v batteries/chargers? I was hoping Turner's would have them since those batteries are also used in deer and game feeders, but they don't.

Hoping to pick something up tonight so I won't have any livewell issues tomorrow!!! Thanks!!!
A few things...

Pumps actually draw quite a bit of juice. My Rule 360 pump @ 12V draws 2ah. On a 10 ah battery, that equals about 5 hours. Your battery sounds like it still might be ok.

Most guys run their live wells on 6V. A decent 6V battery will run your 12V pump all day no problem.

If you want to run 12V, here is a timer that will extend your battery time.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/timer-switch

Your original question was about the best battery and charger. In my opinion, LiPo4 is the best. Lots of power, lightweight, built in protection from basically anything, and should last you for years and thousands of charges. Not cheap though. There are a few of us that are using the 6V 12ah battery from Bioenno Power.

http://www.bioennopower.com/collecti...ery-abs-sealed
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
Mr Fishback

There is a place in called Willy's Electronic Supply in the Convoy area with a nice selection of SLA batteries.

I just recently bought a Diehard charger/maintainer from Sears to replace my cheapo float charger.
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Buy the correct 6 volt battery and charger and your problems will be solved.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
i got a battery tender charger for costco comes with alligator clips too. i don't think they sell 12 amp batteries on their auto store.
Love the battery tender! Got mine at the battery store by Ralph's in Brea. We (Cummins) even have battery tender chargers on our smaller commercial generators, 30kw and under for group 31 and smaller batteries
Old 03-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
Fish Taco

Don't know if this is helpful or not... but I have a 12v 10amp battery from OEX that I use for my Lowrance Elite 5 and have been using this charger (see below) without any problems whatsoever.

You can pick one up on Amazon for $47 http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-800-Smart.../dp/B002QUT8IC

I also use the CTEK Multi US 7002 for my batteries that run my BassYaks motor, also without incident. These are very good quality chargers that keep your batteries in great condition and extend the life of the battery.

You can go to CTEK to find our more information here http://smartercharger.com/

Good luck!

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
5-20

Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate the tips.

That CTEK charger does look pretty good!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #14
Rufus

Check with Powerstride behind the Sports Arena.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #15
Maxfli123

Walmart auto section has chargers...may vary by location. Any autoparts store should have what u need.
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote