Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Striperman1018

wet and wild evening

Headed down to San Pedro this evening with a buddy. We arived at about 515 to a good wind blowing out of the north/northwest. Surf was small with a good wind chop. Thought it was going to be an easy launch today compared to a few of the times past. We are both new to kayak fishing but have had a decent amount of practice in the last few weeks launching and landing in the surf. Almost every trip out my buddy gets rocked either going out, coming in, or both. I always give him a hard time about it. Well we get all the gear stowed away and begin the launch into the small surf. Got about 20ft off the beach and out of nowhere comes two big rogue waves. We sat and watched the surf for probably 5 minutes before we actually launched and saw nothing of the sort. Well long story short it was too late to do anything so I just kept paddling and took a good wave right over the bow that landed square in my chest, still upright and soaked to the bone I kept paddling. After I got rocked I looked back to see my buddy cruising up the beach sideways with the surge. He thought it would be a good idea to try to back away and let the wave crash before it got to him, no such luck. Anyways I kept paddling and see the second wave starting to gather. Paddled faster and harder to try to beat it before it started to curl and again no such luck for me. Once again I did a submarine through the face of the wave and got another chest and kayak full of water.

After that little ordeal we finally made it out past the surf and started to fish, well at least try. Wind was blowing so hard couldn't get the kelp clip or the anchor to stick. Wind was pushing us at an ungodly rate. Needless to say we spent more time battling the wind than actually fishing. Ended the day with one big lizard fish and a couple bass. Nothing exciting. Lucky for us the landing was a lot more pleasant.

Few questions, Does anyone have any suggestions for fishing in wind like that? We would have liked to stayed along the kelp line but the wind would just not allow it. Within 5 minutes we went from 20 ft of water on the kelp line to 60ft of open ocean. The spot we like to fish is a very slow gradient to deeper water. We were probably getting pushed a good half mile or more in only 5 to 10 minutes.... any sugestions?
Striperman1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
jorluivil

Sounds like my first launch on the open side. One thing that I learned was to not stop paddling until you're at least 50 yards from the waters edge and even then you still need to watch you *ss.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 08-24-2011 at 05:58 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

The wind is dangerous there, the wind picks up speed in San Pedro. Ungodly Wind vs kayak is never a good idea .... The wind will win
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

5lbs anchor attached to bungee cord attached to kayak, and a Kelp clip

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperman1018 View Post
Few questions, Does anyone have any suggestions for fishing in wind like that?
don't. paddle back.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
radastaff

yeah

when the wind is so strong
that u break kelp strands that ure clipped too
its time to head back

if not a bit sooner

thats actually my rule of thumb anyways

and anchors are dangerous from a yak
i wouldnt use one in the open ocean
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Striperman1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post

and anchors are dangerous from a yak
i wouldnt use one in the open ocean
I didnt know that. Still new to the sport. I have my anchor on a quick disconnect and it also has a 2ft bungie on it to give it a little stretch on big swell days. I can see why it can be dangerous though.
Striperman1018 is offline   Reply With Quote