Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
premo

sounds good its like thoose bikers in the pub checking their rigs.
kayak hell's angels.
premo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drag-yaking....Xgames here we come!

If that's the case I'm getting a bigger motor with a carbon fiber shaft and a race battery just big enough to get me down the "track".

Edit...NM, this guys got me beat already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGnnx...eature=related
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #23
bigbarrels

Looks nice!

Just don't be like the guy I saw at Irvine Lake with a motor on his kayak......he told me he was out getting some cardio as he motored off......and he seemed serious
Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #24
YakMedic

Looks good, Your turning that thing into a battleship. Next modification should be a forward mounted harpoon gun.
Let me know when those T-sharks make a showing. I'm itching for some grilled thresher.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #25
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Hell yeah matt! Thanks to you I finally have a yak that can support all of my macgyver needs. Threshers will show up when the water is between 59-62°. I'm guessing another month. Things are starting late this year. Will you be joining me in the catching of said shark?:-) I only take one per season the rest are cpr.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #26
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Hell yeah matt! Thanks to you I finally have a yak that can support all of my macgyver needs. Threshers will show up when the water is between 59-62°. I'm guessing another month. Things are starting late this year. Will you be joining me in the catching of said shark?:-) I only take one per season the rest are cpr.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #27
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Devildawg...does yours need any counter-weight for the motor on the other side so it doesn't lean or veer off?
Nope, just my fat-ass sitting slightly left in the seat . The Riptide only weights about 20 pounds...

I'm certainly game for the first inaugural motorized kayak drag-race/fishing tournament.

I wonder....if you enter a kayak tournament, and use you motor, would you fall under the auspice of a kayak or boat?
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
I'm absolutely planning on joining you, I need a days notice or so to hit the water. just let me know.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #29
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

What's the status on this, test run yet? I'm curious as to how fast you go with that motor...
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #30
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
What's the status on this, test run yet? I'm curious as to how fast you go with that motor...
Test went good. The first run was saturday in Lj. Was pretty loaded down with gear and beer so didnt get the speeds I was hopeing. Somewhere around 5mph. I will try it again this week not so loaded down. Also I wanna adjust the angle of the dangle to see if I can gey more thrust. Something nice about laying back, kicking your feet up and enjoying a nice relaxing ride to the fishing zone.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #31
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Test went good. The first run was saturday in Lj. Was pretty loaded down with gear and beer so didnt get the speeds I was hopeing. Somewhere around 5mph. I will try it again this week not so loaded down. Also I wanna adjust the angle of the dangle to see if I can gey more thrust. Something nice about laying back, kicking your feet up and enjoying a nice relaxing ride to the fishing zone.

Sounds good, keep us updated. I'm thinking about a motor upgrade, I have a need for speed and this 4mph(fully loaded) isn't cutting it.

As I have learned you're going to need enough speed to get away from your friends as they're going to do everything they can to hook onto you and let you drag them too. This weekend I was in the big bay dragging a Stealth 14 + an X-Factor + a Hobie Outback and myself from the Shelter Island launch to the bait barge...at a steady 2 mph. I need some breakaway speed ASAP! HAHAHAHA

I need to be able to holeshot that damned Hobie so he can't slow me down and let the others catch up...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Last edited by mazilla; 04-27-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #32
Ddwineguy

I recently had OEX bassyak my stealth 12. I don't think you'll ever get more than 4-5 mph because that is about the max hull speed since your not getting up on plane. I use an optima blue top 34m and get aboutb5 hours of run time. The battery weighs nearly 50 pounds which sucks. I have seen a lipo 12 v rechargeable from smart battery that would give almost equivalent run times and only weighs 18 pounds. The drawback is price; $650.00. Your boat looks great and much cheaper than a bassyak! If you want to see how the motor lift kit works on mine, let me know.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #33
Saba Slayer

Lipo Battery?

Ddwineguy...what is a Lipo 12V Battery? Do you mean Lithium?
I have a Ocean Kayak Torque and that battery is damn heavy.

I really like the advantages of the electric Min-Kota motor on the yak, but, I'd love to find a good deal on a lithium ion battery. I saw the battery for the Hobie electric Yak and it's pretty pricy...but Very Light and 28 volts also.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #34
sdfishman

Lithium-ion polymer. Without a lipo cutoff you drain that battery too low and it will pop. Not good in a Plastic kayak.. Lipo fires suck.. Lost a 1K rc truggy that way.
sdfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #35
Saba Slayer

13 lbs

Wow...13 pounds for a 12 volt 40ah lithium battery sounds great!...but...$700, that's a little steep.
Jim/ Saba Slayer
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #36
Ddwineguy

Saba slayer. Lipo is short for lithium polymer. Think AGM. The lithium is in cased in a polymer. Makes for a safer battery, less likely to burst in to flames. The new LIPO batteries have built in protections so are now considered non hazardous(won't catch fire and melt your yak). Check out these websites. Www.Lithiomion-batteries.com or Www.lithionicsbattery.com.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #37
Saba Slayer

Yea

Yea...I got it..."sdfishma Lithium-ion polymer. Without a lipo cutoff you drain that battery too low and it will pop. Not good in a Plastic kayak.. Lipo fires suck.. Lost a 1K rc truggy that way."
Thanks...Now find me a great price!
Is there anyone on this board using it in a kayak?
Jim / Saba Slayer