Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
45user

Lessons learned...

I got capsized today puking...got seasick and had to puke and my kayak turned over..
So had to call it an early day. Lessons learned relatively cheap at a cost of pair of pliers and fish gripper..
Here's what I learned.
1. If you get easily seasick then Always take seasick pill no matter how many times you've been out there and didn't get sick
2. Tie down everything you don't want to lose period. - luckily my line got snagged on my rod holder and saved my rod and reel
3. Always wear PFD- I was wearing one!
4. Go out with a buddy "always" - or at least have some kind of emergency communication devices
5. Know your limit- saw 2-5 feet swell moving every few seconds from the harbor mouth and I kept on going
6. Practice getting back on kayak from the water

I appreciate my buddy primosurf who helped me today.

Now I'm washed up, dried and cozy at home

Every time I go out I learn something..good or bad but valuable experience for the "NEXT" time.

It was good seeing you dwendt23! Sorry I had to come in early..next time
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
jorluivil

Live and learn.

Glad you made it out OK.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Seems to be a spike in some of us getting sick lately. I got sick my last outing and I contribute being cocky as the cause, I too thought I was over the need to take meds since I haven't gotten sick. That on top of staring at the FF in a heavy swell and I was chumming. Somebody did say a quick dip in the cool water can help combat sickness, any comment on that being effective?!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
CheapPelican

Did you puke over the side? You're suposed to spew on deck to keep from losing your balance
Old 03-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
Did you puke over the side? You're suposed to spew on deck to keep from losing your balance
Yeah I puke over the side...after I got back on board I saw the mirage drive opening haha
Old 03-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Live and learn.

Glad you made it out OK.
Thank you!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Seems to be a spike in some of us getting sick lately. I got sick my last outing and I contribute being cocky as the cause, I too thought I was over the need to take meds since I haven't gotten sick. That on top of staring at the FF in a heavy swell and I was chumming. Somebody did say a quick dip in the cool water can help combat sickness, any comment on that being effective?!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
Yes, when I took the dump seasickness went away in the water but when I got back on board it came back.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
MrM

45-

I'm one of the unfortunate ones that gets sea sick too. IMO you learned one of the tougher lessons today, one that I nearly did myself my 2nd time out a couple years back. Puking on your lap is nasty, but puking over the side can turn out worse.

Glad you're ok, and this is a great lesson for everyone who's looking to start fishing this summer. Scupper holes are your friend!
Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
TJones

Revo of outback ?

Outback is super stable , but nothing is impossible . As Jim would say , " where your head goes , your body will follow " . Personally I have always had a problem with motion sickness. I have used the patch , but have had real good success with the pill . Dramamine over the counter . A couple pills before launching , and I can stay out all day , and can continue consuming food on the water without an issue .maybe I am getting my sea legs . The first couple years kayaking we're really bad , and I actually felt like giving it up . Thanks for sharing your experience .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Outback is super stable , but nothing is impossible . As Jim would say , " where your head goes , your body will follow " . Personally I have always had a problem with motion sickness. I have used the patch , but have had real good success with the pill . Dramamine over the counter . A couple pills before launching , and I can stay out all day , and can continue consuming food on the water without an issue .maybe I am getting my sea legs . The first couple years kayaking we're really bad , and I actually felt like giving it up . Thanks for sharing your experience .
Dramamine works for me. That's what I take when I go out on a party boat but I underestimated today because i didn't get sick on the kayak...until today.
Yup, lesson learned and glad i paid relatively cheap for it.
I will be taking pills from now on.
It's kinda embarassing but wanted to share what I learned today.
Thank you all for your kind words!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
FISH11

Glad to hear you made it out ok! Unfortunately some of the lessons are learned the hard way. Sharing those on this site helps others to prepare for similar situations. It is really important to learn how to right your kayak and get back on. If it happens in the open ocean and there's no one around to help you, that is not the time to try and figure out how to do it. Almost every trip we learn something that helps us in the future. Thanks for sharing it might help someone else.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Glad to hear you are ok.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
Loudog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user
Plan to hit the rockfish ground this Saturday with posurf. Plan to launch from kid beach around 7-7:30a
Hope to see some of you out there
Sorry man, I tried to meet up with you guys but I was running late. Parking was a mess. I ended up launching at the Coast Guard station paddled out to Crystal Cove With refier the wind sucked and the waves were 3-5?? Lots of rollers. Got a few hits but No takers. Going out tomorrow. ...
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
dorado50

my day was very similar to yours except I wasn't on the water. thanks for posting your day
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
my day was very similar to yours except I wasn't on the water. thanks for posting your day

Kayak aren't very stable on dry land.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Kayak aren't very stable on dry land.

your telling me!...I found that out the hard way
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #17
dwendt23
Junior

Glad you made it back ok 45. The swell did seem pretty big that day. Cant wait to get back out on the water under better conditions. It was great meeting you and Primosurf.
dwendt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #18
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

Pride and Arrogance are diseases we all have and suffer from.
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote