Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Mike K.

battery maintenence on yak systems

Kind of a boring topic but fairly important. I have been using a standard trickle charger but am never quite sure if the charge is adequate or if I am overdoing it. There are some excellent web sites out ther on SEALED LEAD ACID BATTERIES and their maintenance. From what I've seen, it is not good to quick charge these things...a slow charge is preferred... but a trickle charger may still kill the batteries over time. They should also not be left discharged for very long. If these mistakes are made, condition called SULPHATION occurs which is the buildup of crystals within the battery that eventually reduces the charge capacity and kills it. There are SMART CHARGERS out there that can vary the output automatically and maintain the battery indefinitely but are very expensive. As I was finding all this out, I happened to open the latest Harbor Freight Tools flyer and noticed a dirt cheap ($4.99 on sale) FLOAT CHARGER that slowly (12-24hr) charges the battery and can and should be left hooked up all the time to maintain the charge without worry of overcharging or cooking the battery. It is preferrable to keep the battery at 100% charge all the time according to the web sites. I called several battery companies to confirm this and all were in agreement that the float charger was best. This will insure maximun battery life and output with no worry of over or under doing it. I encourage all to do their own homework on the subject and confirm what has been written here but hope this helps...for $5 it's hard to go wrong.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I use an automatic battery charger/maintainer with float mode monitoring....basically what it does is it chargers your battery slowly and shuts off when charging is complete....it also monitors your battery charge level, keeping it topped off until you pull it off to use...got it from walmart in their auto battery section....I think it was in the $20 or $30 dollar range...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
T-Rex

Thanks for the tip. $5 bucks sounds pretty good. I'll be stopping at Harbor Freight on the way home. I'm hoping they also carry SLA battieries - gotta pick one up for my son's yak.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Razorback

I have used this product for the last 4 years and it works like a champ. The sealed lead batteries I purchased at the same time are still working at 100% - no failure or charge rate loss.

Kinda pricey - but idiot proof ( works for me)

http://www.batteries.com/productprof...p?appid=298434

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
madscientist

I have a similar one and it works great. I used to use a cheapo Cabelas charger but it shorted out, melted down, and almost set my garage on fire so I would stay away from those.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
Doc J

Since FF are not widely used on the Texas Gulf Coast, I caan't determine what battery would be best to use. Any halp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 12:31 AM   #7
Mike K.

kayak battery maintenanace

I'm using 2 batteries...1 for the FF and one for the bait tank. The bait system is a one peice removable type wth the battery box attached to it. some guys run one main battery with a splitter bar running wires to several systems. I use one 12 volt 4 amp hour sealed lead acid battery for the FF and a 12 volt 7 amp hour sealed lead acid for the bait tank. These are easy to find mostly anywhere.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Gutshot

You can get by with one battery, but you are going to have to put up with EMI (Electro-magnetic interference)noise on your fish finder at the same time. There are noise suppression diodes available that cancel that out and allow the use of one batt. Using a PWM motor control allows you to regulate your bait tank pump into an energy efficient machine(vs. reverse polarity or running on 6volts) and you could get by all day on the water with a simple and inexpensive 12v 8amp hr. batt. If your plan on using lights bump up in amps(12amp) and stick to LED lighting. In regards to batt. chargers, I also got rid of the cheap cabela's model and bought a unit from an outfit called Deltran. They have a 12 volt, 1.25amp fully regulated charger for under $60. It takes good care of my batteries. Thats my 2 cents.
Link is www.batterytender.com
Good luck