Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
Vikingj

First Yellow Tail - FINALLY!

You've heard all the detailed reports and viewed the video of many First Ones so I’ll try to keep it short. Launched 55 mi north of LJ, went out one short mile trolling a sardine, ripping zzzzzzzz, hook-up, fastest/strongest run I’ve ever experienced, thrilling, adrenalin rush, yak towed back & forth, arms tired, fear of doing something stupid and losing the Fish OALT, 15min fight, gaff through head, 20lb of shimmering blue & yellow on lap, hands shaking like a leaf as I attach game loop. Woohoo!!
I started kayak fishing 9 yrs ago and was soon introduced to LJ by David and Yani. Very first trip to LJ I hooked up to a YT for about 9 seconds before losing it due to noobie mistakes- drag too tight/knots too lose. That was one of the most exciting 9 seconds of my life so I made many more trips to LJ to pursue my YT dream. Since that time I have been on the water well over 600 times with about 40-45 of those trips at LJ (talk about “time on the water”). I’m not a terrible fisherman and I’ve have been fortunate enough to catch many big game species - WSB, halibut, YFT, thresher, sheephead, lingcod, etc. but no YT! Not even another bite! I never expected to drive 3mi from home, head out after 8AM, pedal 1 mile and catch my 1st YT. Miracles do happen!!
BTW that 1st catch is even more exciting than I ever imagined. And i’m sure that the waiting will make that fish taste better than any fish I’ve ever eaten.
Attached Images

Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote