Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Iceman
Administrator

expect sharks, every offshore trip I have done has attracted a mako, blue or hammerhead the hammerhead approaching was the scariest as they have a very big dorsal fin.....thought it was a 20 foot GWS...............they get curious! Just be prepared. I would be all in if I did not have to work.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #22
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I would like to try this sometime. Unfortunately I already have plans for Saturday or I would go with.

I have a PA and have peddled 10-12 miles in it before, averaging 2.5 mph ground speed depending on conditions, fully loaded. Without the tank the average is a bit higher.

If you go again, let me know.
Agreed. I can put some mileage on my PA on any given trip. I have done 15+ miles in a day without issue.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
Iceman
Administrator

http://www.tempbreak.com/
Old 07-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #24
chris138
donkey roper

Although I do believe the PA could make it, 25 miles is a lot different than 12 miles in open water. But I invite you to join along! Bring a spare mirage drive though... I don't foresee my full carbon ikelos blade having any malfunctions

Andy... Last time I went offshore in the yak only thing I hooked was a big mako. I about shat myself when it didn't even run, but instead started jumping repeatedly straight towards my boat.

Sounds like there's a lot of interest in doing this some other time. Hoping somebody decides to come Saturday though, as we all know how small those windows of opportunity can be.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #25
sdmosch

Kevin is awesome! He taught me a lot out there, he is going to be doing trips to catch tuna. I think he said the 9 mile bank, not 100% sure where though. His site is http://www.seasamurai.com/index.html
sdmosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #26
chris138
donkey roper

Thanks, not really looking to pay for a fishing partner though. I'm sure he's very good!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #27
chuckt

Few reports say YFT show up 5-7 off Dana pt. 5-7 mi off shore around 267 spot. This is doable from kayak? Good luck.
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #28
Zed
BANNED

The 267 is ~15miles from the harbor mouth.

Made it halfway a few years ago and had wfo lockjaw doraditos, with hungry makos on the side. We'll see this morning...
Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #29
Fiskadoro

Went out Tuesday, but we were fishing South of the nine out of range of a kayak. The idea was to get one of the larger Bluefin before Mexico shut it down. No Bluefin for us, but Norm and I got five Yellowfin tuna and caught over thirty yellows.

We hooked four tuna trolling, three on X-raps, and if I was you that is what I would troll, but I also got a tuna on a megabait when I cast it on a boil.

All our fish were caught off paddies or under birds, no strikes on porpoise, and we did not have a single blind strike.

None of the fish were big, but the yellowtail bite was absolutely insane. The bigger fish could not get ot our baits because there were so many smaller fish chewing. We probably released more then 20 Yellowtail, left at least six paddies with wide open bites where every bait you put in the water was instantly bit. We got yellows on Tuna feathers, X- raps, Iron, Magabaits as well as finbait. I've fished offshore Yellowtail for decades and I have never seen so many fish wide open in so many locations on the same day. We finally just stopped baiting paddies. Basically there is a huge mass of fish moving up the coast. The only time I've seen anything even close to the bite was during the 1997 El Nino. I would expect La Jolla to go completely wide open on 6 to 15 lbs yellowtail in the next few days, and imagine that we'll shortly see Yellows in Santa Monica Bay.

We did not catch any Dorado, the water temp was down, but I hooked one that cut off and saw several including a huge Bull that jumped right in front of the boat.

I think we are in for a Epic season, maybe the best we've seen since the 90s.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #30
Iceman
Administrator

Steve and I have done the 267 as well as the 14 mile bank on the Adventure Islands. Logging 32 miles made a long day even with the sail. I would do it again.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #31
chris138
donkey roper

Fiskadoro (jim?) thanks for some great dope! I'll drag the X-raps fore sure. Based on the SST, it looks like a 1-2 degree temp break about 5 mi out from la jolla. I don't see any reason why the fish wouldn't be up there now... But who knows. Mega baits and Raps sounds like a bitchin gameplan.

As of now I'm still solo. Can't figure why nobody would want to try this weekend. Maybe if I charged $300 I'd get some takers hahaha
Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #32
Iceman
Administrator

Dammit!........I may HAVE to give it a go Friday out of Newport Need to get work covered.

Quote:
it looks like a 1-2 degree temp break about 5 mi out from la jolla.
Seems like warm CLEAN water never holds tight to the beach for long, hopefully it does for somebody to score!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #33
the dude

get out early before the wind picks up. You can do it, but I wouldn't go solo. It's a big ocean. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #34
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Although I do believe the PA could make it, 25 miles is a lot different than 12 miles in open water. But I invite you to join along! Bring a spare mirage drive though... I don't foresee my full carbon ikelos blade having any malfunctions

Andy... Last time I went offshore in the yak only thing I hooked was a big mako. I about shat myself when it didn't even run, but instead started jumping repeatedly straight towards my boat.

Sounds like there's a lot of interest in doing this some other time. Hoping somebody decides to come Saturday though, as we all know how small those windows of opportunity can be.

I am pretty sure it can make it, the initial run to the 9 would be the energy burner, trolling takes no effort.

I have a 'Drive repair kit" in the kayak at all times. Two blades with rods and at least one of every cable on them s well as the tools to do it.

Like I said, if I didn't have plans already I'd be there. Sounds like fun.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #35
Zed
BANNED

Water temps are down a bit off Dana. Tougher day on the banks today according to the radio. One report I heard was 30 boats on the 267.

Ramp was a zoo at 0445. Barge was 6 deep already. Good news was the boats were heading to the 267 (or S) first and working up the line. Bad news they were coming back past the point from the 14 in a constant stream after noon.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #36
5-20

Not quite ready or equipped for a trip like this yet.... but maybe next year!!!
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #37
EntropyFletch

I was just thinking about this! Fish Dope has YFT 6 miles from MB harbor today...
EntropyFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #38
chris138
donkey roper

Fletch- make it happen bro! These things are once a decade.

Update: I now have a confirmed partner so the trip is for sure a go. I will be launching from the shores at 3:00-3:30am.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #39
5-20

Quote:

Update: I now have a confirmed partner so the trip is for sure a go. I will be launching from the shores at 3:00-3:30am.
YFT or bust!!!!!
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #40
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:

Thats Bad A$$. Hope you guys kill it. You're definitely putting in the time and work for the reward.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote