Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
SP Dan

Just getting started

I purchased a new Lowrance Elite-4 HDI this weekend for my new kayak and would like to know what everyone does to protect their fish finder's LCD screens from the salt mist, spray, splash and fish tail slaps and in general .... getting scratched.
I read my manual but didn't locate how to clean or maintain after each use.
How do you clean one up after a session?
I was thinking about using a zip-lock bag over it. Hmmmm

Also, I went on line searching for LCD screen scratch guard protectors for Elite-4's without any success.

Realizing that the LCD screens on phones and camera need protection ........... it makes me think that fish finders do too!
It looks like it could scratch easily.

Any help or useful suggestions would be appreciated?

Dan
SP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
FISH11

The head units are waterproof, so there is no need to protect it from water. Scratches can happen but I haven't really had a problem. The most important thing is to fill up the cable connector with di-electric grease to protect the connector from corrosion due to electrolisis. I put some into the connector openings in the cable end and fill up the cavity on the head unit. Fill up both sides if your head model has two. If you don't do this the connectors can corrode away and you would need to replace the transducer cable or worse the head unit. The biggest problem I have had with salt water is that your paddle and waves splash onto the screen as it dries it leave spots, making it hard to see the screen. If you wipe it off it leaves streaks. I apply some Rain X to the screen using the RainX wipes just like I use on the Go Pro lens. That helps as long as you don't wipe off with your fingers. If some water stays on the screen, than I pour a little fresh water on the screen from my drinking water bottle. That helps stop the spots. Some people rubber band a zip lock bag, but they will get spotted also. Also important in connecting the head unit to the power source (battery) hook up the unit first before connecting the battery and disconnect the battery first before disconnecting the head unit this is another way to reduce the possibility of connector problems. Never leave the head unit connected when not in use. Good Luck
Old 07-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
SorryCharlie

I have to agree with Fish11 that the most important thing to do first is di-electric grease the living s$#% out of it. I had problems with my first finder because I did not do this until it was to late and the whole unit needed replacing. I wish I would have got Fish11's advice when I first got a finder.... would have saved me some cash.

I personally am not to bothered by a few spots on the screen when on the water, but make sure to rinse it with fresh water (like I'm guessing you do with everything else) after your off the water.

I would recommended a ziplock bag (or better yet leave the head unit in your kayak and connect when past the break) over the unit if you will be surf launching to protect it from the wave or 2 you will take over the bow.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

If you do get salt water on the screen and it dries it will leave a salt residue that may be abrasive to the screen when rubbed or wiped. Repeated rubbing of salt crystals on the screen may make the surface dull.

A buddy of mine used an IPad screen protector.

Use fresh water to rinse screen.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I leave it in the dry bag until I am pass the surf. I grease all connections regularly. I also use a zip lock bag over the unit to keep the mist from covering the screen. But I don't always use the bag. But on the ruff days it works great.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
SP Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
The head units are waterproof, so there is no need to protect it from water. Scratches can happen but I haven't really had a problem. The most important thing is to fill up the cable connector with di-electric grease to protect the connector from corrosion due to electrolisis. I put some into the connector openings in the cable end and fill up the cavity on the head unit. Fill up both sides if your head model has two. If you don't do this the connectors can corrode away and you would need to replace the transducer cable or worse the head unit. The biggest problem I have had with salt water is that your paddle and waves splash onto the screen as it dries it leave spots, making it hard to see the screen. If you wipe it off it leaves streaks. I apply some Rain X to the screen using the RainX wipes just like I use on the Go Pro lens. That helps as long as you don't wipe off with your fingers. If some water stays on the screen, than I pour a little fresh water on the screen from my drinking water bottle. That helps stop the spots. Some people rubber band a zip lock bag, but they will get spotted also. Also important in connecting the head unit to the power source (battery) hook up the unit first before connecting the battery and disconnect the battery first before disconnecting the head unit this is another way to reduce the possibility of connector problems. Never leave the head unit connected when not in use. Good Luck

Thanx FISH11,

When I was picking up my kayak Mon evening, Andy did mention the dielectric grease and it's importance to me but we both sorta forgot about it at the end, but he did tell me that he had already greased my fittings real well. The guy really gave excellent service and made certain that my proposed yak and it's equipment were 100% ready.
I went on line today and bought a 5 oz tube of it on E-Bay ... sorry Andy.
On the FF head I have two connectors on it's back side that I wish to put cover caps on to better protect them after applying the dielectric grease for during transport and storage.
Where can I get the cover caps?

Dan

Last edited by SP Dan; 07-15-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

These may work, they are for the HDS so buying 2 you don't need???

http://store.navico.com/Products/000-0124-70

Also seems to be a popular solution, google:

"Vacuum caps for fish finder"
Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
SP Dan

radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
These may work, they are for the HDS so buying 2 you don't need???

http://store.navico.com/Products/000-0124-70

Also seems to be a popular solution, google:

"Vacuum caps for fish finder"
Andy you had gaven me the name of a business in Long Beach that sold radios. Do you recall the name?
Maybe better to PM me.
Dan
Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

West Marine
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Dannowar

I have an extra glare reducing protective screen cover. First pm can pick it up for nada locally