Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
pbb

tandem family/fishing recommendations

So I have a single fishing kayak for myself, but I am thinking of getting a tandem, mostly for the family, but also for possible occasional use as a solo fishing yak for friends.

I'm looking for your suggestions. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money and I'll be looking for something used, so I'm looking for models that are commonly available. So no, I'm not going to get a Jackson Big Tuna. Or for that matter a Hobie. I'm not looking to spend any more than $500. I know I can get a used rental Malibu Pro 2 with seats and paddles at that price.

Since I'll be looking for a used one, feel free to suggest models which are discontinued, if they are still commonly available used.

So I guess I'm asking which general purpose tandem would make the best "loaner" solo fishing kayak (without major modifications)?

Malibu Pro 2?

OK Malibu 2? Malibu 2 XL?

Cobra Tandem?

Others?

Anyone have any intel on when the next OEX Malibu blem sale will be?
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
inbx3

Years ago when OEX was in Point Loma, I got a used, and I mean USED, Hobe Kona for $350. Nothing fancy, no seats, paddles, or hatches just a kayak. It was right after DATD and they had some special going on. Used that as my fishing kayak for a while until I got a "real" fishing kayak. Now the kids use it and love it. I just recently installed 2 Scotty flush mount rod holders and my nephew used it for the HOW MB tourney a few months ago.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Only a few of the tandem kayaks can go solo. And by that I mean, the solo kayaker doesn't have to sit in the back seat. Instead, he can ride in the middle, which makes for a more balanced ride and you can put a bait tank or crate behind yourself. Check the attachments and the hardware on the used tandem kayak you plan to buy and see if you can move the back seat to the middle.

I owned an older Malibu Pro 2 tandem that converted like this. The newer Malibu Pro 2s don't have this conversion (ask Andy from OEX to verify).

In reality, all the major brands have tandems that will do what you want. Just check the layout and see if it suits your fishing needs. I forgot to mention - some of the tandems can ride three people as well. You typically can add a small kid or pet in the middle section.

Last edited by roby; 07-02-2014 at 06:22 AM.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

The 3 you mentioned are all good options and depending upon the year, all do allow solo center seating, MK reverted back to this design a couple years ago. $500-$600 with seats and paddles is what you should expect to pay.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
pbb

Thanks for the responses...
Old 07-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Sdspeed

here ya go

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/4549123987.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #7
Amish Ed

The Malibu 2 XL is a great yak, solo or tandem. I had one for a while and loved it. Comfy, tracks well, and surf launches pretty good too.

I just paddled the Pro 2 the other day. It was by far the worst kayak I have ever been in. The rear seat well is way too narrow making for a very uncomfortable paddle. Plus, to use solo you have to sit on the middle hatch area which is flat. Not my idea of comfortable.

The Kona is very comfy and paddles really well. But, I don't know how hard they are to find.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
That's a great deal, but it's not a tandem.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
mralbacore
Bamboo Pole Fisherman

Sea Eagle FastTrack 465 kayak

Try a 15-foot-long Sea Eagle FastTrack 465 kayak for your entire family fun. It can sit three full-grown adults or two adults/two small kids. Plenty of room to sit around or stand up! No butt sores! Can easily fit in a trunk of a compact car or small apt closet. Can transport it in an airplane or bus. Perfect for fishing or scuba diving in a large river, lake or open ocean. Class III rapids! Sea Eagle rocks!!!

http://www.seaeagle.com/FastTrack.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeaEagleFastTrack465.jpg (94.1 KB, 51 views)
mralbacore is offline   Reply With Quote