Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Tournaments > West Coast Whoppers - Archive > West Coast Whoppers 2005

Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Arne

Early submittal for week ending 9/24

I'm down to one day a week for the time being so here's my early submittal - REALLY got lucky with this one:

About 41" and 29#. Barely lip-hooked. Didn't go berserk until about 20 minutes later when I leaned over to grab something on deck. She jumped out and started swimming down - almost flipped me. :shock:

and the tape shot

Hopefully see you out there next week - I'm sure Iceman aka "the Answer" will be back with more poundage tomorrow.

Good luck out there.
Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
DESTROYER

HOLY SHIT! DO YOU GUYS HAVE A FARM WITH THESE SOMEWHERE! TALK ABOUT GETTING THE LEAD BACK...CONGRATS ARNE, TELL ME WHAT THE HELL YOUR DOING SO I CAN DO IT!

MOYER
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Arne,
Tuesday looks like my only day as well to get out this week. I thought for sure that my YT would guarentee me the top spot for at least one more week. One good fish changes everthing. I will be gunning hard for you next week. Taking you down on the "biggest slam" will be quite a task. Here is a great recipe, my kids eat BIG helpings. Congrats Numero Uno!

http://forum.kayak4fish.com/viewtopic.php?t=4951
Old 09-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
lamb

Arne,

Congratulations on that pig.

That shot is about he best one I’ve seen in a while.

Couldn’t have been in tougher moment. SHOT THROUGH THE HEART. Did it bounce off after that photo?

Please tell us about the episode. I’ve seen them going bizark in the cooler. We had to sit on it. We’ve had one (smaller one, 10 lbs) bounce 2 rounds around the boat, finally to get stuck under the seat.

I have never caught a halibut on a kayak. ops: ...and I worry I may 8)
Old 09-22-2005, 05:40 AM   #5
Arne

Andy,
I'll be trying the buttflakes recipe tonight - if the kids like it you know it's gotta be good.

Adi,
I'm no expert on catching halibut off a yak - Todd knows best - but my little stringer/dowel contraption allows me to get the stringer on while the fish is still in the water and still gaffed. I also stick my foot underneath the tail while it's still in the water - I don't know if that helps the situation but I saw Pat Holmes do that with Cajunman's 40 pounder after he gaffed it ... I don't reinvent any wheels in what I do. This one jumped out while it was on the deck in front of me - once I got her back on board I bled her and threw her in the back.

Matt,
Follow Andy ......... and use spectra. 8)

Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
C-level

nice

Sweet fish Arne :!: Your second one from the kayak and it was nearly 30 pounds, at that rate of increase your next one will be over forty :!: Too cool, but please catch it next year.

You have to love that stringer you have, mine has save many of fish from swimming away. It is KEY to landing big flatties... and I always bleed and thump the big ones before bringing them on board. I'm scared of those things :lol:

I don't even know why I look at this site when I am at work... you guys drive me nuts. Isn't it time for you and Andy to take a vacation or something. I hear the fishing is great off Galveston right now :twisted: .

Good work on the fish this week, you and Andy or now officially 'but brothers .

Todd

"Blessings upon all that hate contention, and love quietness, and virtue, and Angling." - Izaak Walton
C-level is offline   Reply With Quote