Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
boxturtle

Any Veterans fishing up north for WSB this Thursday?

Please can I tag along Just picked up a revo and want to put some on it. Feel free to PM me

Thanks
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
mrJB

Do we have to show our DD 214's?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
boxturtle

Lol my bad I meant experienced kayak anglers that goes there often
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Dont' want to scare you or anybody else away, but it's not a place for beginners. Many kayakers even experienced ones have lost broke gear at that place, and could've got seriously hurt or killed out there, me included. It could be nice one minute and huge breaking surf the next...when I say huge...it's huge! So if you want to venture up there just be forewarned. You might get lucky once or twice but sooner or later you'll pay the price....I did.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
surfnutnj

Up North?

Where is up north?
surfnutnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Malibu can be a little difficult with the waves, just be smart.

There is an alternative launch location at Leo Carillo that is often much more mellow. Some kayakers don't mind the extra paddle in exchange for a safer beach.

Good luck.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
toadstoadsonly

X3.

My first trip out I flipped in the dark on the launch used every ounce of energy to flip my yak over and power through the swells on the way in my buddy got slammed in the back with his kayak on landing laid him out for 2 weeks.

2nd trip I met one of the locals to the area before launching, when landing flipped on a shore break the wave slammed him to the sand and broke his collar bone. Luckily my buddy Dave and I saw him getting sideways and was half way to him right when he got slammed and dragged his limp body and kayak to safety, then carried all of his stuff to the car. He went to ER later that evening.

3rd trip I brought out a green yaker his rudder pin broke launching he flipped and lost all his gear.

4th trip one of my other friends got hit by a swell in open water kayak was upside down, then flipped again on landing. Lost some gear but fortunately not his life.

For anyone that dares to brave the surf make sure you have someone with you, this area takes a lot of victims. It is heart wrenching launching and landing after seeing so many mishaps.

1 thing that all my trips had in common I got a great workout since I had to carry extra gear to other peoples car.
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
boxturtle

I have done a couple beach lauches in la jolla so im not totally green. 10 4 on not doing it alone thats why im asking But a friend called me and invited me to come along with him on the cobra Thursday so im good for this week. Thanks for the advices. Let me know if you guys planning to hit the waters next week. I got a baby boy coming in October. So trying to enjoy sometimes on the water while it last.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Good luck out there strap all your gear down, and put everything away. No matter how flat it is, a good one can sneak up on you at anytime and wreck you. La jolla is a cake walk compared to this place when the surf is going. If the surf looks big dont do it.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
momo fish

thought I was only one... I can add a lot more but will share a few so you are made aware..

launched once and made it past first wave, and all of a sudden 2nd huge came way quicker than last sets.. Kayak and gear back on beach..

on a landing with high winds and surf, had a good timing till once again could not beat a faster wave and threw me out and under kayak.. Lucky life guard came to rescue...

and the stupidest landing ever award.. Times it well, got into about 2-3 feet deep and like 5 feet from sand and feeling proud of myself sat there instead of jumping out.. Wave hits me sideways and I'm under the kayak in sand.. Back hurting like hell and pride even more beat up... I will NEVER do that again...

so yes, its pretty rough.. La jolla seems soo much easier and I would recommend leo as the paddle is about 45 min and faster heading in due to winds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstoadsonly View Post
X3.

My first trip out I flipped in the dark on the launch used every ounce of energy to flip my yak over and power through the swells on the way in my buddy got slammed in the back with his kayak on landing laid him out for 2 weeks.

2nd trip I met one of the locals to the area before launching, when landing flipped on a shore break the wave slammed him to the sand and broke his collar bone. Luckily my buddy Dave and I saw him getting sideways and was half way to him right when he got slammed and dragged his limp body and kayak to safety, then carried all of his stuff to the car. He went to ER later that evening.

3rd trip I brought out a green yaker his rudder pin broke launching he flipped and lost all his gear.

4th trip one of my other friends got hit by a swell in open water kayak was upside down, then flipped again on landing. Lost some gear but fortunately not his life.

For anyone that dares to brave the surf make sure you have someone with you, this area takes a lot of victims. It is heart wrenching launching and landing after seeing so many mishaps.

1 thing that all my trips had in common I got a great workout since I had to carry extra gear to other peoples car.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote